255/275/35/19 on OEM 19"??? ----- Perfect!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Calcvictim
I really feel like it's a case of people regurgitating what they heard from others. I would like to see one example of an accident or tire failure that was proven to be the result of tires being either under or oversized in width. The same speeches are heard on every message board. I really do not know why people present 2nd person opinions as facts.
Most people that disagree usually point to the manufacturer's recommendations for what is safe/unsafe as far as tire/wheel combos.

Just because you have't heard about an incident, doesn't mean it's safe or recommended.

I bet you could run on only 3-4 lugs on your wheels and be perfectly fine. Would you advocate it's use?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
So where is or "proof" that a 275 mounted on an 8.5" rim is better performing that a 245/255/265? Why do manufacturers have width specifications at all? Go ahead and just mount a 305 on an 8.5" wheel, I'm sure it will physically fit.
Let's not twist my words around, I never said that a tire out of spec will perform better but what I said was you claiming that it's unsafe is really baseless.
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Most people that disagree usually point to the manufacturer's recommendations for what is safe/unsafe as far as tire/wheel combos.
Just because you have't heard about an incident, doesn't mean it's safe or recommended.
I bet you could run on only 3-4 lugs on your wheels and be perfectly fine. Would you advocate it's use?
Once again, I didn't say it's recommended nor did I say that I am recommending it. Manufacturers have these specs because the tire while within spec will perform a certain way, it was tested within those specs, that does not mean that it will fail when used outside of those specs.

I understand that stuffing a fatter tire will most likely result in more sidewall flex, less crisp turn in and ultimately a small fraction might have to be made. This does not mean that if someone wants the look, and is willing to sacrifice some(somewhat arbitrary) handling then it's fine.

What is not fine is for people to state their uninformed opinions as fact when in reality they are not. Please shut me up and tell me that I am wrong while showing me a test made by a tire manufacturer or a reputable distributor like tire rack.

It is not the same as having 4 studs instead of 5 because logically you can understand what happens when you maximum force your studs can withstand decreases(4 instead of 5), not to mention metal fatigue.. While I cannot understand what happens to a tire that is fatter then spec, is it more likely to slip off the wheel, can you explain how that would happen?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Red Card Crew

Can you explain 100% all the negative effects using a tire outside the maker's spec is going to have when it's the only thing inbetween your car and the road? You claim to know the effects of using less wheel studs but not a too wide of a tire? Maybe it's because your understanding of the effects of tire widths isn't up to par?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
anyother pis? and doesn;t it look wierd with fat tires on a skinny wheel?

Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Can you explain 100% all the negative effects using a tire outside the maker's spec is going to have when it's the only thing inbetween your car and the road? You claim to know the effects of using less wheel studs but not a too wide of a tire? Maybe it's because your understanding of the effects of tire widths isn't up to par?
I cannot explain 100% of the negative effects of using a tire outside the manufacturer specs, nor did I claim to do so. What I did though is challenge the people who say it's dangerous, to provide proof of it being dangerous or detrimental to performance but because neither you nor anyone else in this thread has any proof you are using circular logic.

Let's think of a different example, if you claim that you can bench 500 pounds and I say to show me a video, could you make an argument and say "show me a video of me not benching it". That is essentially what you're saying and it doesn't make sense. When you make the initial claim the burden of proof is on you.

Let me be as concise and straightforward as possible:
You claim it's dangerous to run 275 tires on a 8.5 inch wheels, and I say show me some examples.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 AM
I can't stand KDW's. They looks too much like a mud tire IMO.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Red Card Crew

I cannot explain 100% of the negative effects of using a tire outside the manufacturer specs, nor did I claim to do so. What I did though is challenge the people who say it's dangerous, to provide proof of it being dangerous or detrimental to performance but because neither you nor anyone else in this thread has any proof you are using circular logic.

Let's think of a different example, if you claim that you can bench 500 pounds and I say to show me a video, could you make an argument and say "show me a video of me not benching it". That is essentially what you're saying and it doesn't make sense. When you make the initial claim the burden of proof is on you.

Let me be as concise and straightforward as possible:
You claim it's dangerous to run 275 tires on a 8.5 inch wheels, and I say show me some examples.
I beg to differ. If you claim a statement outside of the maker's recommendations, the burden is on YOU to provide legitimate proof as to why you think it's safe to do so. I have no such burden as I'm staying within a tire manufacture's recommendations as to what is safe.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I beg to differ. If you claim a statement outside of the maker's recommendations, the burden is on YOU to provide legitimate proof as to why you think it's safe to do so. I have no such burden as I'm staying within a tire manufacture's recommendations as to what is safe.
Exactly. The people who are making these recommendations for running these sizes are basing it on 1-2 cases of it not failing. No one knows for sure if its going to fail or not, but should a recommendation be made on the side with the manufacturer, who's specialty is tires, or on the side of the average consumer without any engineering background who tried it once for less than 100k miles. Is that even close to adequate testing to make any sort of recommendation?

Old 08-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Exactly. The people who are making these recommendations for running these sizes are basing it on 1-2 cases of it not failing. No one knows for sure if its going to fail or not, but should a recommendation be made on the side with the manufacturer, who's specialty is tires, or on the side of the average consumer without any engineering background who tried it once for less than 100k miles. Is that even close to adequate testing to make any sort of recommendation?
In general running a 275 on an 8.5" tire is insane! Regardless of what type of car, the tire is just not meant for that lack of support.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:41 AM
You guys are completely missing the point and are just being stubborn.

I did not make any conclusive statement besides saying that you have no proof to back up your statement, I never said that it's safe not did I say that it performs better then what's recommended by the manufacturer.

Show me one instance of tire failure because the rim is too narrow, if you can't come up with that then what exactly are you basing your conclusion on that it's not safe?

Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM

I did not make any conclusive statement besides saying that you have no proof to back up your statement, I never said that it's safe not did I say that it performs better then what's recommended by the manufacturer.

Show me one instance of tire failure because the rim is too narrow, if you can't come up with that then what exactly are you basing your conclusion on that it's not safe?

Read:

http://www.dunloptires.com/care/widthRatio.html

In particular:

"If the rim is too narrow, the flex point moves toward the shoulder area, creating heat buildup in the shoulder, which reduces tire life and could result in failure."

Lou

Old 08-06-2008, 11:19 AM

this doesn't make any sense. do I have to see an engine that failed because it didn't have any oil changes to recommend regular oil change intervals on the basis that in theory its bad for the engine right? No one ever says "show me an engine that failed from no oil changes" They accept this on the basis that it makes logical sense.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
this doesn't make any sense. do I have to see an engine that failed because it didn't have any oil changes to recommend regular oil change intervals on the basis that in theory its bad for the engine right? No one ever says "show me an engine that failed from no oil changes" They accept this on the basis that it makes logical sense.
I understand what you are saying but the analogy is not linear since there are plenty of cases where it's shown that dirty oil leads to engine failure while I have not seen one where too narrow of a rim leads to tire failure. Yes the tire does heat up more if not sized correctly but that is not conclusive that it will fail.
Originally Posted by lowrider
Read:

http://www.dunloptires.com/care/widthRatio.html

In particular:

"If the rim is too narrow, the flex point moves toward the shoulder area, creating heat buildup in the shoulder, which reduces tire life and could result in failure."

Lou
I saw that also when I was looking online, you didn't quote the part where they say the same thing about the rim being too wide and the stress area of the sidewall moving closer to the bead.

VW guys run stretched rims all the time yet on vwvortex I have never read about a tire failure because of that.

I have zero problems with people going by manufacturer's recomendations, what I think needs to be pointed out(what I did)is people presenting opinions as facts.

not a fact: "if you run 275 on a 8.5" rim your tires will fail"

Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I understand what you are saying but the analogy is not linear since there are plenty of cases where it's shown that dirty oil leads to engine failure while I have not seen one where too narrow of a rim leads to tire failure. Yes the tire does heat up more if not sized correctly but that is not conclusive that it will fail.
Excess heat leads to premature tire failure. Period. At which point this occurs is not concrete. The tire could last 20k instead of 30k, or 5k. No one knows for sure because many factors are at play.

VW guys run stretched rims all the time yet on vwvortex I have never read about a tire failure because of that.
People running stretched tires make up less than 1% of the automotive population, using that as your basis is hardly a reasonable conclusion.

I have zero problems with people going by manufacturer's recomendations, what I think needs to be pointed out(what I did)is people presenting opinions as facts.

Show me exactly where that has been stated in this thread. So what is your recommendation? Do whatever you like and ignore all other recommendations, especially from the experts?

Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Red Card Crew

I don't believe anyone said that. At least Redlude97 and I didn't. IMHO it falls in the same category as these:
1) I never saw an instance where running 3-4 lugs vs 5 resulted in an accident. Therefore must be okay.
2) I never saw an instance where changing your oil at 10,000 miles (something other than MB/BMW) and the engine failed. Therefore it's fine.
3) I never saw an instance where keeping your old moisture ridden brake fluid resulted in brake failure. Therefore it's fine.

I think we all agree, when you go outside the maker's recommendations, the RISK of something bad happening goes up. The further outside the recommendations you go, the higher the risk. (goes for tires that are stretched too). I think the risk vs benefit is not worth it. Especially considering why one would do these things. If you want more tire on a given rim, I assume you want more traction for the track/dragstrip. This puts the wheel/tire into the stresses that increase the risk of failure of some sort.

Put it this way, I really haven't seen legitimate race cars either stretch or buldge a tire on a wheel. I would assume they know what they are doing much better than any of us.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 255/275/35/19 on OEM 19"??? ----- Perfect!!!