Not your average newb with megapost and pics !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here it is !

Ok here it is for now .Still got more to come . Tommorow im gonna buff it out and put it back together .

Some more pics in epoxy primer b4 tape up .

After tape ready for white primer sealer .

After 2 coats of hok white

Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
so you still have to add clear?

Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Here the pearl which is the mid coat . It is a clear basecoat with 3:2 mix ratio of blue pearl and white sparkle pearl then reducer 2 tsp of pearl per mixed quart .I also mixed the whole batch at once for the body then the other peices this way no match problem .Edit :Wow thats what a *** bucket is lmao

After the first coat of pearl

After the 3rd coat (forgot to get pic of 2nd

I then taped for the hood and sprayed the black .I did the roof at a different time as i was gonna do pearl but decided it wouldnt look right . Heres after black ready for clear .

A lot of clear .All in all mixed almost 2 gallons !

Heres the almost finished product . As you can see by now i sprayed most peices off the car this way i can do a clean job in the jambs etc . This is b4 buffing .After buff it will look like a mirror .

Heres the quarter that i fixed

Since i created this color i shall name her lightning white pearl (pics dont do justice)

A door (lol)

2 bumpers and a lip + more

grill and emblem

Still more pics to come when im done .Its gettin there A ton of blood sweat and vicodin went into this project lol

Heres some more random pics of my other girl

Yup that is a one of a kind subwoofer !

Let me know what you fellas think !

Last edited by the04coupe; 10-22-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:58 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
wow that looks amazing!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats reallllly nice... just wondering- whats that massive led block for??? that thing looks like it could be seen from space!!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by gizmo134
thats reallllly nice... just wondering- whats that massive led block for??? that thing looks like it could be seen from space!!
Thats actually only half of one led array .There are also 2 more for the other 2 tails in my eclipse .800 LEDs in total . My own etched boards and all hand soldered and even have surface mount resistors in series of 3 .Then they run to my powerboards and pwm's . I was gonna do a sequential nightrider type strobing but never got around to it .

Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Excellent paint work!... How is the dust in the area you are painting in? ... Are you going to wetsand before you start to buff her out? Wetsanding is such a PITA and you should stock up on Percs for that job, nit sure if Vicoden will cut it

The white lightning paint looks great! You can get a feel for it from that one shot in particular. I am trying to invision it put together with the hood painted black where you taped it off at. The black roof / grille is always a great with white... I got to see the final with the hood like that tho...

How was the humidity? It doesn't look like you got any fisheyes anywhere, nice... Did you use a flex additive on the bumper parts? Did you go white on the headlight housings or black?

Cudos on a fantastic job man!

I wish I had the space and skillz to do that, I would have a brand new looking "G" every year or so, looks like a lot of work but a lot of fun!

Old 10-22-2008, 04:06 AM
Originally Posted by Triji
Excellent paint work!... How is the dust in the area you are painting in? ... Are you going to wetsand before you start to buff her out? Wetsanding is such a PITA and you should stock up on Percs for that job, nit sure if Vicoden will cut it

The white lightning paint looks great! You can get a feel for it from that one shot in particular. I am trying to invision it put together with the hood painted black where you taped it off at. The black roof / grille is always a great with white... I got to see the final with the hood like that tho...

How was the humidity? It doesn't look like you got any fisheyes anywhere, nice... Did you use a flex additive on the bumper parts? Did you go white on the headlight housings or black?

Cudos on a fantastic job man!

I wish I had the space and skillz to do that, I would have a brand new looking "G" every year or so, looks like a lot of work but a lot of fun!
good questions . Yea there was some dust in the clear but settled on top and i already blocked the car dow to 2000 grit ready for buffing .Humidity wasnt bad .I did wash the garage down a couple times to minimize dust .No flex in the bumper thats the great thing about using epoxy primer .Its flexible and strong . ha percs .nah i could get addicted to those .The hood sweeps right into the black grill so it should look pretty sweet .All in all it came out amazing for the amount of room i have to work with .I dont think anyone can paint as good as i can in that kind of envirment.i went white on the housings cuz it flows with the split on the hood .

Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 AM
Yeah, I was looking at your workspace wondering how in the heck you can spray at an even distance in there...

Ok I can kinda visualize the black hood and how it will line up with the grille... Should turn out sweet!

Are the steps basically... Sand down to 400 grit, wash, prep surface, tape, primer x 2, base x 3, pearl x 3, clear x 4, wetsand / block to 2000, buff and polish?

How long do you wait inbetween coats, especially between the last coat of pearl and the 1st coat of clear? Then how long inbetween coats of clear?

I think I could get the hang of painting if I could get over my hang ups... The timing in between coats has to be pretty precise from what I would think to get the deep wet look... Or does spraying the clear on a dry surface still make it look wet and glossy?

Thanks for you answers, you definately look like you know what your doing!

Old 10-22-2008, 04:32 AM
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Great job! I am pretty sure the paint is wayyyy better in person.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:41 AM
P.S. Zeitronix kick butt! that's what I use for my guage with my Vortech SC.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EPIC rejuvenation
two thumbs up!!

Old 10-22-2008, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by Triji
Yeah, I was looking at your workspace wondering how in the heck you can spray at an even distance in there...

Ok I can kinda visualize the black hood and how it will line up with the grille... Should turn out sweet!

Are the steps basically... Sand down to 400 grit, wash, prep surface, tape, primer x 2, base x 3, pearl x 3, clear x 4, wetsand / block to 2000, buff and polish?

How long do you wait inbetween coats, especially between the last coat of pearl and the 1st coat of clear? Then how long inbetween coats of clear?

I think I could get the hang of painting if I could get over my hang ups... The timing in between coats has to be pretty precise from what I would think to get the deep wet look... Or does spraying the clear on a dry surface still make it look wet and glossy?

Thanks for you answers, you definately look like you know what your doing!
you pretty much got it .Wetsand the primer with 600grit b4 paint . i waited 5-10 to recoat the base .It dries quick .For the pearl i recoat in 30min . Make sure you do a 75% overlap spraying pearls . For clear i recoat in about 15 min well as soon as the clear is sticky not stringy . Clear is always sprayed wet . dry will create a lot of peel .You want to spray it so wet that any wetter and it will run . Some people will do a medium first coat but i go wet .

Old 10-22-2008, 05:29 AM
Great, thanks for the information!

Does the paint spray all around the garage like a rattle can getting all over everything or is it heavier? I don't see a whole lot of overspray all over your garage, it looks pretty clean!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
looks very nice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not your average newb with megapost and pics !