G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Media Share G35 Coupe V35 (https://g35driver.com/forums/media-share-g35-coupe-v35-320/)
-   -   making my own custom trunk lid..... (https://g35driver.com/forums/media-share-g35-coupe-v35/421942-making-my-own-custom-trunk-lid.html)

speedcretin 01-24-2013 09:12 AM

well even 550 shipped...... i got like 30 bucks in metal and i bought the extra truck lid from a guy in buffalo and I got it for 100 bucks so 130 and some blood sweat and respect sounds better then the 550 to me :D not to mention when u do it yourself no ones will ever match it.. like a cookie cutter trunk anyone can buy. plus where i live the temps change so much that steel is reallythe only way to go without somewhere down the road getting cracks from the flexing and temp changes. Thats the main reason i went with metal like andy.

Adro 01-24-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by speedcretin (Post 6679794)
well even 550 shipped...... i got like 30 bucks in metal and i bought the extra truck lid from a guy in buffalo and I got it for 100 bucks so 130 and some blood sweat and respect sounds better then the 550 to me :D not to mention when u do it yourself no ones will ever match it.. like a cookie cutter trunk anyone can buy. plus where i live the temps change so much that steel is reallythe only way to go without somewhere down the road getting cracks from the flexing and temp changes. Thats the main reason i went with metal like andy.

Seriously...+1

DKano 01-24-2013 10:12 AM

You also know that there won't be any fitment issues.

Andy's G 01-24-2013 11:04 AM

Anyone thats makes comments that you can just buy one already made is obviously not someone that can work with there hands and are just jealous. Why spend all that money for a trunk and when you install it it fits like ****??? I think your doing a great job and in the end you will have a foctory fitting custom trunk lid. just be mindful to form the sheetmetal to fit before welding. dont start welding one side and think that it will automaticly fit to your framework. also weld small areas and jump from side to side so the heat dont warp your work. the less filler you need to use the better.

ThePhenom 01-24-2013 12:14 PM

Please do a diy on this

dukehotty 01-24-2013 12:18 PM

I think it would look awesome to install the LED brake strip into the back. Nobody makes/has one of these trunks with a brake light!

speedcretin 01-24-2013 01:13 PM

hmmmm i dont no if i would like the 3rd brake light or not hmmmmm thats something to really think about..... yea im pumped. ill try to keep you guys posted with some pics as i go. the hardest part is just getting the sheet metal to be bowed both directions to match up with the lines of the trunk. im def thinking i will have to shrink it by cutting slits and filling the gaps later to be able to make the contours. keep your fingers crossed im gonna play some more with it sat.

bluedevils95 01-24-2013 01:17 PM

WOW!!! Can't wait to see the end result and maybe you can do something different about the look.

dukehotty 01-24-2013 01:30 PM

Here is where I picture your trunk being created. Don't ruin it by posting a pic of your garage workspace and a lighter.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...mike-savad.jpg

You could even put a back up cam in there! The possibilities are endless!

4DGS 01-24-2013 01:46 PM

Fiberglass doesn't like cold? Last I checked it's still a catalyst and will get solid within a few minutes even if it chilly out (and that's coming from a Canadian guy whose done a fair bit of glass work even in the winter lol)

Duke, Bring it on avatar :biggthumpup:

That G Gray 01-24-2013 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Andy's G (Post 6679847)
Anyone thats makes comments that you can just buy one already made is obviously not someone that can work with there hands and are just jealous. Why spend all that money for a trunk and when you install it it fits like ****??? I think your doing a great job and in the end you will have a foctory fitting custom trunk lid. just be mindful to form the sheetmetal to fit before welding. dont start welding one side and think that it will automaticly fit to your framework. also weld small areas and jump from side to side so the heat dont warp your work. the less filler you need to use the better.

i can make these products w/my hands and i am not jealous. LOL my aftermarket trunk fits like a glove.

just asked a simple question.. why you mad bro? lol

Adro 01-24-2013 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Equivocal (Post 6680028)
i can make these products w/my hands and i am not jealous. LOL my aftermarket trunk fits like a glove.

just asked a simple question.. why you mad bro? lol

What are you tryin to prove here bud?:52: Thats a d-bag response.

That G Gray 01-24-2013 02:21 PM

not trying to prove anything.. :)

i'm digging the hand made trunk

speedcretin 01-24-2013 02:22 PM

fiberglass might be ok by itself in the cold but being fused to metal they both change temps at different speeds and i have just had bad luck with that combo because they tend to seperate.... :confused2:

DKano 01-24-2013 02:31 PM

leaving my comments out, don't want to keep taking about fiberglass in a thread about someone working with metal.