Debadge fail...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
^ very interesting point of attack... as long as it gets the job done.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it all off, took it to the body shop and the guy took it all off with the eraser wheel. Then I went home and the "INFINITI" came right off like it was supposed to. Will post pics soon. thank you for all your tips/and tricks.

Oh yeah, the guy at the body shop said like everyone els, that the G35 was most likely put on with some other sort of adhesive. Nothing can ever go smoothly.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
3M adhesive remover… I’ve used it many times re-badgeing and all kinds of other non-car projects – works great.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 AM
it took more than 20 min but my problem is the shadow that was left over after i took them off does anybody have any ideas its driving me crazy i joined this forum just for this **** im losing my mind the emblems are no longer there but i can see the shadow to g35 and infiniti WHAT can i do i sanded and machine buffed and nothing the shadow is still there im bout to buy new badges and just throw them back up

Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
good thing you got em off. my tint guy took me out with his heat gun. i swear it didnt even take him 30 sec to heat it up. heheld the gun for like 10 sec took one of the plastics things he use to tint the windows and boom they came off.

then this other dude that work there took goo gone and took the glue off. those were some pretty cool guys.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
3M adhesive remover… I’ve used it many times re-badgeing and all kinds of other non-car projects – works great.
This is what i use too. Awesome stuff!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:06 AM
It's the shadow that kills me

my problem is not. The unbadging my problem is that there's a shadow where the letters used to be. every one says well u gotta get the glue off but there is no glue I had the car detailed the paint on the infiniti name and g35 looks newer everyone says it's the sun and that I'm without hope

Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by TantoG35
my problem is not. The unbadging my problem is that there's a shadow where the letters used to be. every one says well u gotta get the glue off but there is no glue I had the car detailed the paint on the infiniti name and g35 looks newer everyone says it's the sun and that I'm without hope
I used some Maguiar's NX wax and it took the shadows completely away. $15 at your local Walmart.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Add another person the the debadge fail list. Just tried to debadge my G35x emblem and there is some serious ghosting. It seems obvious to me that the rear bumper has been resprayed and they just taped off the emblem and sprayed right over it. Why do people have to be so lazy? Guess I'll just have to put it back on which is disappointing because I really liked the look with it off.

I might call up the dealership and ask if they did the respray because the CARFAX showed no history of repairs. Just another example of why you can't trust those.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
remember the guy that couldn't get his off and when he posted pix we concluded it was done with superglue?

LOL

Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
take pics and post em in here to get a better idea of how to help you ..

Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by IMAFUKINRIDER
take pics and post em in here to get a better idea of how to help you ..
I think I've already decided to just put the emblem back on. There is a hard line in the shape of the letters where you can tell a second coat of paint and clear was sprayed. There is really no way to fix it without sanding it down and repainting. I do have a call into my dealership to see if they were the ones that painted it. If so, maybe I can get them to redo it because whoever did it was really lazy and did a half a** job.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TantoG35
you can also just park the rear of your car facing the sun and over a short period of time.. that paint that was under the g35 will fade.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Dyno-Mike
well, carfax said no accidents, but who knows, I am thinking the same thing. I may try the tint shop since they're right up the street from where I live. and yes, I think I am trying to hard, everyone says its an easy, quick process.
Carfax is BS just an FYI. It said my car was in an accident, it was just the front fender that got damaged. Then there was an "unknown" incident. Upon taking my bumper to get painted to a shop I come up to find out after inquiring about getting a full paint job that my hood, front bumper, both fenders, 2 front doors and rear bumper were repainted. Carfax and dealer seemed to leave that detail out.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Just got off the phone with my dealership and they said it is fairly common for them to respray a body panel if there is a scratch on it, but they had no record of painting mine. After looking at it closely it appears that everything was taped off except for the bumper so it was probably just a small accident that was paid for with cash and never reported to CARFAX. Overall it looks good except in a few spots when you look at it very closely. When you run your hand over it you can tell that the jack*** who painted it sprayed right over dust in a couple places. The only thing I'm really worried about is the clear coat peeling. If worst comes to worst, I guess I'll just have it repainted again. I'm assuming it could be done for a few hundred bucks and luckily I have an easy color to match instead of my last two vehicles which were both red.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Debadge fail...