D.reaper's build (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
these just came in today

Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks for the retro threads that you made, it has been very helpful so far for me for my quad retro.

One question I had, after wetsanding the lens for the headlights, did you polish at all to remove the haze or apply the coats of clear?

And nice build so far too, can wait for the vortech!

The following users liked this post:
D.Reaper (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by DTRUONG_112
Thanks for the retro threads that you made, it has been very helpful so far for me for my quad retro.

One question I had, after wetsanding the lens for the headlights, did you polish at all to remove the haze or apply the coats of clear?

And nice build so far too, can wait for the vortech!
lets see some pics of the retros when you're done! after i sanded my headlights, i sprayed 2 coats of automotive clear for protectant. if you polish them, you'll have to repolish in a few months...

i'm dying to finish this vortech build already, but i have to make sure everything is how i want it to be before putting anything on.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by D.Reaper
lets see some pics of the retros when you're done! after i sanded my headlights, i sprayed 2 coats of automotive clear for protectant. if you polish them, you'll have to repolish in a few months...

i'm dying to finish this vortech build already, but i have to make sure everything is how i want it to be before putting anything on.
Just for clarification, you did not polish after wetsanding correct? Your process, wetsanding, clear coat, done? Not wetsanding, polishing, clear coat? Im familiar with the whole polishing kits for headlights and wanted to stay away from polishing every couple months or so.

Also, do you have any pictures of the wiring? I purchased the morimoto h1 kit and currently trying to figure out the wiring for the low beam setup and how to wire up the bixenon for highs too. My bottom portion will be for fog only.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 PM
no polishing, 800grit, 1000grit, clear coat...no pics of the wiring, since i did a quad, i took power from low beam for low beam projector, canceled out fog light and only used high beam wiring for high beam location...when i only had the top projector, i used the high beam wiring to activate the bixenon solenoid

DTRUONG_112 (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
this is my daily driver, but i dont drive hard...

here is my intercooler, after a couple of hours of sanding and polishing...looks much shinier!

before:

after:

Tell me how you did this I want to do it to mine when I get it. I missed you picking the SC up, CONGRATS!!! Jelly. Can't wait to get mines. I think I'll just buy it new though they're only like 3900 for a tuner kit out the door.

D.Reaper (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by TunerMax

Tell me how you did this I want to do it to mine when I get it. I missed you picking the SC up, CONGRATS!!! Jelly. Can't wait to get mines. I think I'll just buy it new though they're only like 3900 for a tuner kit out the door.

since the finish wasn't all that bad when i got it, i thoroughly wetsanded with 800 grit, then 1000grit, 1500, and finished it off with 2000...i then used a mothers polishing ball on a drill, with some mothers aluminum polish. after that, using a microfiber rag, polished it by hand to get shiniest results...it definitely took a good while to get all that done (about 4 hours), and it still isnt perfect. that's pretty much the jist of polishing aluminum.

about the sc, i picked it up from a local guy with a 350 and it already came nicely upgraded for $3300, since then i've invested about another 900 in supporting parts, including the transgo kit. $3900 is a good price, but you'll end up putting in more to do it right, adding oil/tranny coolers, better ecu, fuel pump, plugs, injectors, gauges, etc.. it will definitely be a fun upgrade though.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
since the finish wasn't all that bad when i got it, i thoroughly wetsanded with 800 grit, then 1000grit, 1500, and finished it off with 2000...i then used a mothers polishing ball on a drill, with some mothers aluminum polish. after that, using a microfiber rag, polished it by hand to get shiniest results...it definitely took a good while to get all that done (about 4 hours), and it still isnt perfect. that's pretty much the jist of polishing aluminum.

about the sc, i picked it up from a local guy with a 350 and it already came nicely upgraded for $3300, since then i've invested about another 900 in supporting parts, including the transgo kit. $3900 is a good price, but you'll end up putting in more to do it right, adding oil/tranny coolers, better ecu, fuel pump, plugs, injectors, gauges, etc.. it will definitely be a fun upgrade though.
That's a good call.

I already have a Haltech, Dual WB's, GTR 560cc injectors, and I'm 6MT. So I don't really need anything other than a tuner kit if I get a V3 (same price as V2).

Can't wait to see the install progress man! And that ATAC looks damn good to me man, nice work, it'll look mint behind the bumper.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Picked up my wideband today

TunerMax (07-09-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM
megan resonated v2 test pipes

Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Man, Im excited for your build.

Side note, finished my projector retrofit and while I was driving today, the gatling gun shroud fell off one of my projectors. I was told I didnt need to glue it but now I have to rebake open the headlight to glue it correctly. Sigh...

Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan

Side note, finished my projector retrofit and while I was driving today, the gatling gun shroud fell off one of my projectors. I was told I didnt need to glue it but now I have to rebake open the headlight to glue it correctly. Sigh...
You take any pics man? I'm trying to figure out how i'm gonna create brackets...go update your thread lol

and D.reaper you should buy my art pipes man

Old 07-10-2012, 11:58 PM

i'm really excited too, i really wanna see what kind of power it produces, and how it's gonna feel...

man that sux about the shroud, actually same thing happened to me....one of mine is kind of lodged in the high beam portion, been putting off that project of fixing it all up...is there somewhere i can see your finished product?

Originally Posted by JaE35
You take any pics man? I'm trying to figure out how i'm gonna create brackets...go update your thread lol

i'm gonna try these megans first, and see how those work out, but i'll keep you in mind

Old 07-11-2012, 12:22 AM

i'm really excited too, i really wanna see what kind of power it produces, and how it's gonna feel...

man that sux about the shroud, actually same thing happened to me....one of mine is kind of lodged in the high beam portion, been putting off that project of fixing it all up...is there somewhere i can see your finished product?

i'm gonna try these megans first, and see how those work out, but i'll keep you in mind
I will update tomorrow of the pictures!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

I think vtec wants to buy ART pipes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: D.reaper's build (56k beware)