My First (probably last) Build Thread- Yosip1115

Old 07-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Update...

Purchased a greddy TT kit from a member here. It will arrive early next week. Plan to polish the F out of it. Check link for pics. Please help me figure out this intercooler thing, I will elaborate in a minute.

I plan to eliminate the catch can and vent to atmosphere. Drilled out PCV as much as I was comfortable doing so on the lathe, and drivers side valve cover to .5" at home.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...s-0-miles.html

Sending all parts out for powder coating, what a joke of a paint job before. Timing cover and plenum will be color matched to the wheels. Tracked down stainless SHCS's for every bolt on the engine and in the bay.

Sending out battery covers, radiator support, and potentially a new bumper out for professional color matching to the body.

Parts to buy:

Koyo/Mishimoto radiator
transmission
RFS
Oil Cooler DIY
Front bumper? I have two intercoolers that need custom piping made. Not sure if I want to go this route with no lip and my current bumper, or get a lip or get a single intercooler with a karuma? Suggestions?
Boost Controler; not sure what wastegate spring I need or what the stock greddy springs are set to. Not sure if I need an electric boost controler or if manual will do. Suggestions?
Don't know if the 570CC GTR injectors I have are enough with a RFS and OEM rails to see 400-450 WHP? Yeah this engine is going to blow inevitably. I'd like to see 1 year or two years of driving before that happens. Suggested WHP level for that? Or is it all about the tune regardless?

Lots more little things but it's getting there.

Give me some feedback guys, I am a turbo noob. I had the SC thing on lock but this is a different ball game.

Last edited by yosip1115; 07-16-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 07-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Mishimoto FTW
A lot of times dude you can make your own cooler set up for cheaper.

setrab oil cooler are awersome cores
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...b_Oil_Coolers2

this site also has a the thermostatic
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...Sandwich_Plate
(Mocal Sandwich Plate- 20mm Thread MOC-SP1FT)

lines or fittings from
http://www.anplumbing.com/

For the front bumper I'd stick with a giant single FMIC so getting a new one might be a good idea.
You'll probably want bigger injectors, more around 800CC but don't quote me on that.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Mishimoto FTW
A lot of times dude you can make your own cooler set up for cheaper.

setrab oil cooler are awersome cores
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...b_Oil_Coolers2

this site also has a the thermostatic
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...Sandwich_Plate
(Mocal Sandwich Plate- 20mm Thread MOC-SP1FT)

lines or fittings from
http://www.anplumbing.com/

For the front bumper I'd stick with a giant single FMIC so getting a new one might be a good idea.
You'll probably want bigger injectors, more around 800CC but don't quote me on that.
Mishimoto it is.

I ran into this on amazon.

Amazon.com: Nissan 2003 to 2008 350z & 2009 to 2014 370z Nismo 24 Row Bolt on Oil Cooler Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Nissan 2003 to 2008 350z & 2009 to 2014 370z Nismo 24 Row Bolt on Oil Cooler Kit: Automotive

After you add in the shipping from 3-4 suppliers, the sandwich plate cost, I'd be spending close to this and would have more to worry about if I built it myself. I also have a $100 gift cert to amazon to sweeten the deal... What do you think about the built quality? Only thing that looks cheap is the NPT fitting on the sandwich adapter. If you see any red flags I'll take the DIY route. I just have a lot more to worry about at the moment... ha.

I need to figure out what pipes are missing for the FMIC. I would love to sell these twins and be able to bolt up a single unit without fabbing any intercooler piping. Are you familiar with the kit?

As for injectors I have been thinking the same. Maybe with the RFS I can get away with these ones? Not sure... Tough because it is right on the bubble. These SHOULD be good for 450-475WHP from what I've read... One gentleman said he had no issue hitting 460 WHP with them on another forum and he didn't mention having a RFS. It wouldn't hurt anything to get some 600's or 650's but my wallet...

Ran into this combination gauge last night on CZP:

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...n.php?II=16765

Thoughts?

Map 1: High boost
Map 2: Launch Control
Map3: Low Boost
Map 4: Valet
Map 5: No Start
Map 6: I Wish

Old 07-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by epborden
When supercharging my X, my tuner (who is regarded as a good tuner around my parts), did have issues tuning my car. Using his words here, he recommended that I upgrade my fuel system because he found that the fuel lines are not as wide as other G counterparts. I think my car must have been on the dyno 3 or 4 times while they nailed down the fuel. At that point I had injectors and a fuel pump also. Take that for what you will, but at the very least I think it might deserve some attention just for you to be sure. I just want you to be prepared since the X, as you know, is basically a rewarding pain in the ***.

If you had a 5AT and a standard pulley, with your setup you'd probably hit around 340. With a fuel system you'd probably get around 370. With a 6MT I'd say you go to 400 safely. I've been driving my car which makes on average 380 very comfortably for two years without one problem. Every car is different and while there have been exceptions at 400 over time generally that is due to bad tuning and/or someone driving their car like a Lambo. You're not going to bend a rod at 400 so I would make that your goal and just build up to get as close as you can. Of course if you are getting a new longblock, if it is built up, the sky is the limit!
Interesting. Do you know what size -AN lines run best? I'm looking to switch mine out for coated lines to run E85 on my 2005 G35X. Someone recommended - 8AN lines from here: http://www.getfast1.com/-8-AN-Braide...ore_p_599.html

It has been a journey noticing the differences between RWD and AWD. A big one was the motor mounts and oil pan. How did you run your oil return lines?

Old 07-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
Update...

Purchased a greddy TT kit from a member here. It will arrive early next week. Plan to polish the F out of it. Check link for pics. Please help me figure out this intercooler thing, I will elaborate in a minute.

I plan to eliminate the catch can and vent to atmosphere. Drilled out PCV as much as I was comfortable doing so on the lathe, and drivers side valve cover to .5" at home.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...s-0-miles.html

Sending all parts out for powder coating, what a joke of a paint job before. Timing cover and plenum will be color matched to the wheels. Tracked down stainless SHCS's for every bolt on the engine and in the bay.

Sending out battery covers, radiator support, and potentially a new bumper out for professional color matching to the body.

Parts to buy:

Koyo/Mishimoto radiator
transmission
RFS
Oil Cooler DIY
Front bumper? I have two intercoolers that need custom piping made. Not sure if I want to go this route with no lip and my current bumper, or get a lip or get a single intercooler with a karuma? Suggestions?
Boost Controler; not sure what wastegate spring I need or what the stock greddy springs are set to. Not sure if I need an electric boost controler or if manual will do. Suggestions?
Don't know if the 570CC GTR injectors I have are enough with a RFS and OEM rails to see 400-450 WHP? Yeah this engine is going to blow inevitably. I'd like to see 1 year or two years of driving before that happens. Suggested WHP level for that? Or is it all about the tune regardless?

Lots more little things but it's getting there.

Give me some feedback guys, I am a turbo noob. I had the SC thing on lock but this is a different ball game.

Coming along well man. According to my builder.. Howard from Technosquare, he said the rails are a must to upgrade atleast.. aside from injectors and pump. FRS if you plan 400+ hp. The Greddy 18G kit comes with. 45bar wastegates.

For boost controller I recommend either APEX'I AVC-R (adjust boost levels per gear) or Innovate SCG-1 (for data logging and safety).

Project Import sells a bolt/hose kit for oil catch can. It's already sized up for perfect fitment. Ask for Gilbert if you order.

... and dude. good luck finding a good fabricator. It took me longer than I thought to find one in Socal alone. I think some guys local on forums are willing to help point you in the right direction.... hopefully. Aluminum piping takes a special trade. Other use SS pipes.. they deflect heat better anyways. Less heat soak.

Last edited by drifterxG; 07-19-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:29 PM
I think we need a secret group for anyone boosting/building their VQ35DE's this season. lol
Collab and conquer, not divide and conquer.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by drifterxG
Coming along well man. According to my builder.. Howard from Technosquare, he said the rails are a must to upgrade atleast.. aside from injectors and pump. FRS if you plan 400+ hp. The Greddy 18G kit comes with. 45bar wastegates.

For boost controller I recommend either APEX'I AVC-R (adjust boost levels per gear) or Innovate SCG-1 (for data logging and safety).

Project Import sells a bolt/hose kit for oil catch can. It's already sized up for perfect fitment. Ask for Gilbert if you order.

... and dude. good luck finding a good fabricator. It took me longer than I thought to find one in Socal alone. I think some guys local on forums are willing to help point you in the right direction.... hopefully. Aluminum piping takes a special trade. Other use SS pipes.. they deflect heat better anyways. Less heat soak.

How are the deletes going? Any progress? I am waiting on my oil cooler to come in so I can design a oil cooler/warmer delete plate. From what I've read just the collar needs to be modified. Haven't started on the crossover pipe yet, this week sometime. I can make two of those delete plates/modified collars if you need one, not sure where you're at on that subject.

Fuel rails added to list... I will need to trade these 570CC GTR injectors soon for something larger also after doing some more reading. Might look into modifying OEM rails, gotta see what others hit with stock modified rails.

I'm going to check out those boost controllers tonight. I need a affordable option for now, lots of stuff to buy. Will the combination unit be fine? I don't need different boost for different gears although that would be cool.... Just need to get by for now. Edit the innovate is the way to go. Good price good quality.

I may end up calling Greddy to order FMIC piping once I figure out how many I am missing then grab some sort of intercooler that will work... If not a used Greddy one. Edit no luck finding a dual in single out universal one and the greddy one is $2000 online! Anybody have a place to get a universal one?

If it comes down to it I'll use UJ bent aluminum piping off the internet to button up the last few tubes I need and run these twins... Then get a nismo bumper as opposed to the Furookie.

Need to find a good paint shop to hit a bumper, the radiator support, and the battery covers also.

BTW Epborden has a V3 not V2 regarding the return line question you had for him.

Thanks for the support man, we're both in for the long haul...

Last edited by yosip1115; 07-21-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:58 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The engine looks great. Do you have the Greddy intercooler? If so, I would imagine having a shop fabricate the piping would be your best bet.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
How are the deletes going? Any progress? I am waiting on my oil cooler to come in so I can design a oil cooler/warmer delete plate. From what I've read just the collar needs to be modified. Haven't started on the crossover pipe yet, this week sometime. I can make two of those delete plates/modified collars if you need one, not sure where you're at on that subject.

Fuel rails added to list... I will need to trade these 570CC GTR injectors soon for something larger also after doing some more reading. Might look into modifying OEM rails, gotta see what others hit with stock modified rails.

I'm going to check out those boost controllers tonight. I need a affordable option for now, lots of stuff to buy. Will the combination unit be fine? I don't need different boost for different gears although that would be cool.... Just need to get by for now. Edit the innovate is the way to go. Good price good quality.

I may end up calling Greddy to order FMIC piping once I figure out how many I am missing then grab some sort of intercooler that will work... If not a used Greddy one. Edit no luck finding a dual in single out universal one and the greddy one is $2000 online! Anybody have a place to get a universal one?

If it comes down to it I'll use UJ bent aluminum piping off the internet to button up the last few tubes I need and run these twins... Then get a nismo bumper as opposed to the Furookie.

Need to find a good paint shop to hit a bumper, the radiator support, and the battery covers also.

BTW Epborden has a V3 not V2 regarding the return line question you had for him.

Thanks for the support man, we're both in for the long haul...
No progress yet on my end. I'm still trying to get my charge pipes fabricated. The shop is trying to find a solution. If you don't mind making a spare delete plate for me, that would be awesome! I'm actually going to learn how to weld soon, so I can save money in the long run. I'd like to add a crash bar and other accessories.

I found a few intercoolers for sale in my area.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...088922755.html - it's a good size and looks like it went with a kit.For $180, that's a steal. I think JWT dual intercoolers fit well with Nismo or HD bumper. I'd call Jim Wolf Tech to see if they can help.

As for your custom piping...good luck. Surprisingly, it's been hard for me to find someone to work on my car to do custom pipes. Where are you located?

Old 07-22-2015, 01:31 PM
No progress yet on my end. I'm still trying to get my charge pipes fabricated. The shop is trying to find a solution. If you don't mind making a spare delete plate for me, that would be awesome! I'm actually going to learn how to weld soon, so I can save money in the long run. I'd like to add a crash bar and other accessories.

I found a few intercoolers for sale in my area.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...088922755.html - it's a good size and looks like it went with a kit.For $180, that's a steal. I think JWT dual intercoolers fit well with Nismo or HD bumper. I'd call Jim Wolf Tech to see if they can help.

As for your custom piping...good luck. Surprisingly, it's been hard for me to find someone to work on my car to do custom pipes. Where are you located?

I'm all of the way in CT man, work in mass, school/appt in ri, parents are in CT so I work on the car there. In still having no luck finding an intercooler. I will contact JWT maybe they can help get me some piping for the duals that are coming in tomorrow. This sucks! Haha. You're running an oil cooler right? I bought that $270 one off Amazon so if you aren't running one you'll need a different adapter collar/plate/sandwich etc not sure yet. Let me know so I know what to make you

Old 07-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Good luck finding an intercooler that works. Stay on top of the Marketplace section and Facebook groups. haha That's how I get most good deals.
I'm running a Mishimoto dual pass oil cooler with -10AN lines that run to a Greddy Thermostat block by oil filter.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:33 AM
UPDATE: Had a big weekend!

Drifter, I did not have to make a delete plate, I ground down the long part of the collar that holes the cooler on so that it would screw into the engine far enough to make my oil cooler adapter plate seal against the block. See pic. Anybody see an issue with that setup? I want to be sure I don't mess up anything in the oiling system or the coolant system with all of the deletes/mods.

Everything went together well, all that is left in order is:

Repair the radiator I just bought, scum bag lied on my350z. Got some AL-802 to try to braze/solder it up...
Mount up passenger side turbo (manifold is at welder)
Heat wrap everythang
Drop in engine (tranny arrives today, CD009 with 52,000 miles, $650 shipped)
Purchase Front bumper
Fab up some intercooler piping
Purchase EBC/Wideband
Purchase some silicon hoses for the radiator
Purchase GT MAF

Pic of radiator holes to be repaired. Opinions? I got my $ back from the guy, $130 shipped. Just buy a new one?

Almost all of what's left can be done with the engine IN THE CAR woo!! $2k left in parts including base map. Getting there...

Made my rear toe arms adjustable... Pretty cool IMO.

Greddy guys, did you pull the drivers side manifold/turbo to install the engine or is there enough room to have both mounted?

Here's some eye candy. Please post concerns, comments, flames, idc. Anything is appreciated.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Wow making a whole lot of progress sooner than I expected! haha
You might get your G done before me!? (I hope not)

Glad you got your oil cooler off. I didn't bother yet, but did you just shave it down about 2mm?
Also, did you have to plug anything else that runs to the hoses? Probably won't know until you piece it altogether huh..

I kind of wish I switched mine to a 6spd too. Just seemed like a lot of headache to me..changing gauge cluster, pedals, center console, and new ecu? Atleast you can fab up the mounts needed!
Where did you order your timing cover bolts from? I just saved my old ones from the old motor to try to match them all with those type of bolts. (as long they don't strip easily)

Looking good so far. Keep us posted

Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Wow making a whole lot of progress sooner than I expected! haha
You might get your G done before me!? (I hope not)

Glad you got your oil cooler off. I didn't bother yet, but did you just shave it down about 2mm?
Also, did you have to plug anything else that runs to the hoses? Probably won't know until you piece it altogether huh..

I kind of wish I switched mine to a 6spd too. Just seemed like a lot of headache to me..changing gauge cluster, pedals, center console, and new ecu? Atleast you can fab up the mounts needed!
Where did you order your timing cover bolts from? I just saved my old ones from the old motor to try to match them all with those type of bolts. (as long they don't strip easily)

Looking good so far. Keep us posted
Lol right now I'm definitely on the home stretch. I have about $1750 more to spend including a base map. Depending on your schedule, yeah I might win!! It's looking like November is the date for me! I'm dropping the motor/tranny this Sunday after final prep on Saturday. Still not sure if I'll have to remove one of the turbos or the manifolds, hope not.

Regarding the oil cooler collar modification I didn't take off much at all, just enough so that it would squeeze the adapter plate before bottoming out in the block. A bench grinder made quick work of it.

I got pretty serious with the coolant line deletes. If it wasn't the upper/lower radiator hose or the two heater hoses in the back I deleted it and brazed the holes flush. Those are the only lines I have left... Even relocated the passenger side heater hose and coolant bleed valve onto the rear hard pipe.

I kept the ECU, cluster, and brake pedal but yeah I will probably have an issue this weekend with motor mount alignment or something ridiculously unplanned for.... I'm running my AWD motor mounts so they will line up with the front X member but I had to take a sawzaw to them to provide clearance for the turbo kit... Yikes.

I got every bolt in the bay in SS. There is a thread on here that gives all of the bolt dimensions. It wasn't cheap.... But at least it was easy. I have them all bagged up and labeled where they go now which is nice for re-installation. They do not strip easily if you get quality ones, but with cast aluminum it is always eminent. Not sure where I would go for them, I have a hook up at work to order them for a lower price than most...

Thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...olt-sizes.html

Pic (check out passenger hard line/passenger heater hose relocation)

The following users liked this post:
drifterxG (08-19-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Getting there

Had an extremely productive weekend...

THE DRIVE SHAFT FIT! First G35X 6 speed swap!!!

Go ahead X drivers. 6 speed swap away. Everything lined up like it should.

Next up is intercooler piping, wiring, and a bunch more little things.

Front bumper (Kurookie) and FMIC are in the mail... FMIC is rated for 850 HP. Should suffice... lol.

Ran into two problems.

1. I can't get the clutch to bleed. I'm going to make a pressure cap this week so I can hook up a few PSI of air. I also have a vaccuum pump but heard that won't work. The system is totally brand new so everything is completely empty. Pumping the pedal does nothing,...

2. the FSM wire colors for the ignition coils did not seem to correlate from what I saw... Could somebody please tell me the colors of 5 out of 6 coil pack wires so I can be positive mine are hooked up right after all of this tucking etc? Thanks!!

Edit: #4 coil should have a gray wire, #6 will have a gray/red wire. Found these two so far.

Left to buy:

EBC
GT MAF
RWD Starter (because of turbo kit)
Overflow Tank
Rest of tubing for DIY RFS.
Base Map (after about 50 other things go wrong and need purchasing)

The pics should say the rest...

Saving $500.... braided -4an to AEM boost referenced FPR, DIY return correction, just need in tank hose (submersible), return hose, and fittings.

Last edited by yosip1115; 08-30-2015 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added Info

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My First (probably last) Build Thread- Yosip1115