Media Share V36 Sedan 2007 +Sedan Pictures

Pics of my grill. Yours better or worse???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this something that is occurring much more on cars with a drop?

Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RowanBuds
Is this something that is occurring much more on cars with a drop?
Unfortunately, no. There was issues with the grilles pitting before the first suspensions mods ever hit the market. I got a new grille under warranty early fall last year and used it for a couple of months. I switched back to my old grille once winter came around and plan on doing the same this year. It sucks that I have to have a summer grille and a winter grille, but oh well.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
My replacement one has held up much better, which I got a bit sooner than you Shane.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts
G35x
The replacement grille I put on a few months back seems to be holding up better than original but still has a few chips in it. It seems the roads around my area probably have less debris from all the construction at this point. That may be the reason it is holding up better. There had been a lot of asphalt grinding and paving going on last year.

I wonder if this would work as a touch up paint for chips?

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/szx/szx1000-9.htm

Thoughts?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by treacherous
The replacement grille I put on a few months back seems to be holding up better than original but still has a few chips in it. It seems the roads around my area probably have less debris from all the construction at this point. That may be the reason it is holding up better. There had been a lot of asphalt grinding and paving going on last year.

Thoughts?
Possibly... try it out. From the look of it though, it appears to have a lot of metallic chips in it, it might make more of a metallic paint look vs a smooth shiny chrome surface.

I think Infniniti should have just dropped the dough and put metal grilles on the thing...

Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 AM
G35x
I might try it out on my old grille to see results.

Originally Posted by hokiesean24
Possibly... try it out. From the look of it though, it appears to have a lot of metallic chips in it, it might make more of a metallic paint look vs a smooth shiny chrome surface.

I think Infniniti should have just dropped the dough and put metal grilles on the thing...

Last edited by treacherous; 05-09-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 AM
I might try it out on my old grille to see results.
Yeah, its worth a shot. It would be nice if someone made a stock looking replacement that held up...

Old 06-28-2008, 10:57 AM
G35x
Apparently that paint is no longer made so I am going to try
this this
instead.

I am going to test this alternative out on my old pitted grille. I realize nothing will ever take the pits completely away. I am just going for less noticeable.

Thoughts?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had my car all of 2 weeks now, not even 500 miles and haven't driven near anything kicking up rocks yet still found my first chip in the grill today.

I honestly think it was a bug that caused it...

Old 08-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Scooby24
I've had my car all of 2 weeks now, not even 500 miles and haven't driven near anything kicking up rocks yet still found my first chip in the grill today.

Tell the guys at Major Infiniti about it. They told me that they are rock chips so they won't replace it without Infiniti approving it. They acted as though this was the first time they'd ever seen such a thing. Obviously they are being less than truthful.

I polished the entire front of my car this weekend to see which marks might come out, most did not.

My last car a 2000 Chrysler 300M had 70k+ miles over nearly 7 years and it had no marks or anything like this on the chrome or the paint. My wifes car a 2006 Pontiac with 15,000, no chips. I put a license plate on my father-in-laws car yesterday, it's a 2000 Pontiac. It had 1000 bug splats but no chips.

Between my grill - 700 tiny chips, my paint - 50 chips and my windshield - 400 tiny chips, my car has a lot of chips. This is my Infiniti experience at 16,000 miles (90% in town driving below 50 mph) in 1 yr and 6 months.

Last edited by EWG35; 08-11-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EWG35
Tell the guys are Major Infiniti about it. They told me that they are rock chips so they won't replace it without Infiniti approving it. They acted as though this was the first time they'd ever seen such a thing. Obviously they are being less than truthful.

I polished the entire front of my car this weekend to see which marks might come out, most did not.

My last car a 2000 Chrysler 300M had 70k+ miles over nearly 7 years and it had no marks or anything like this on the chrome or the paint. My wifes car a 2006 Pontiac with 15,000, no chips. I put a license plate on my father-in-laws car yesterday, it's a 2000 Pontiac. It had 1000 bug splats but no chips.

Between my grill - 700 tiny chips, my paint - 50 chips and my windshield - 400 tiny chips, my car has a lot of chips. This is my Infiniti experience at 16,000 miles (90% in town driving below 50 mph) in 1 yr and 6 months.
I mentioned it to Dave and he acted as though he'd never heard of it either and refused to even consider it. He told me to call infiniti myself to see if they'd cover it. They are completely worthless there. I'm going to call around to all the nissan dealers here to see if any of them do warranty work for Infiniti. If they do, I'll gladly use them.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
I mentioned it to Dave and he acted as though he'd never heard of it either and refused to even consider it. He told me to call infiniti myself to see if they'd cover it. They are completely worthless there. I'm going to call around to all the nissan dealers here to see if any of them do warranty work for Infiniti. If they do, I'll gladly use them.
Yeah, same feeling here. I got the offical "go fly a kite" call from Infiniti today. They will not even consider replacing it. This really makes me less inclined to be a loyal Infiniti guy. I love the current batch of Infiniti models but if this is how they treat their customer base when they have designed an inferior product why come back for more. Interesting how some service managers help their customers and others don't. For the record I told Dave about this problem and this thread before months ago and so he is not being truthful by saying he never head about this problem. He knows.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Yeah, same feeling here. I got the offical "go fly a kite" call from Infiniti today. They will not even consider replacing it. This really makes me less inclined to be a loyal Infiniti guy. I love the current batch of Infiniti models but if this is how they treat their customer base when they have designed an inferior product why come back for more. Interesting how some service managers help their customers and others don't. For the record I told Dave about this problem and this thread before months ago and so he is not being truthful by saying he never head about this problem. He knows.
Yeah, my previous 2 cars were a Lexus ES and an Acura TL. Put 40K on each of them without a single sone/bug chip on their grilles. And I can't imagine them telling me to "fly a kite'. The G is one sweet car but there is a definite problem with these grilles and you would think Infiniti would offer to replace them. At 20K miles mine looks like it was hit with shotgun full of buckshot.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Yeah, my previous 2 cars were a Lexus ES and an Acura TL. Put 40K on each of them without a single sone/bug chip on their grilles. And I can't imagine them telling me to "fly a kite'. The G is one sweet car but there is a definite problem with these grilles and you would think Infiniti would offer to replace them. At 20K miles mine looks like it was hit with shotgun full of buckshot.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 PM

I am in the same boat I recently purchased my new G end of last month. I use it primarily as a weekend car and have only put 200 miles overall on it. Today, I noticed there was a small chip on the front chrome grille (bottom most part of the grille). I don't think it could have come from my driving as there are no other chips around that area or on the front of the car for that matter. Do you think I should call up my dealer or just go in person to hear their bs?!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pics of my grill. Yours better or worse???