Media Share V36 Sedan 2007 +Sedan Pictures

Akebono + RB 2pc Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I went by the instructions that came with the RacingBrake rotors. If they are installed the oposite direction, the cooling vanes that run down the center of the rotors can't properly "scoop" the air through them as they rotate, so the direction of rotation does have an actual fuction. They do look better with the slots curved with the rotation of the rotor, but they "function" better the other way. Here's a link to a picture on RB website showing the proper direction of rotation (arrow stamped into rotor hat surface). This picture is of a right rotor:

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/35...l/IMG_1610.JPG

Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Car is looking sweet, Mike! Love the custom Akebono's & the new rotors. But you need some PDR work on that door ding asap! Looks pretty bad on your driver door.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
sick

Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Thanks guys.

The rotor direction threw me off a bit, too, but i checked and double-checked the direction of the vanes and it's "scooping", so to speak. Honestly though i didn't pay too much attention to it and sort of rushed through the process. I'll check them again and fix accordingly as needed. Thanks for being on the lookout y'all.

edit: nvm, messed up on this one. Will fix the rotor direction!

Last edited by soundmike; 03-22-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by J2S2M
Car is looking sweet, Mike! Love the custom Akebono's & the new rotors. But you need some PDR work on that door ding asap! Looks pretty bad on your driver door.
Yeah, got that a week into owning the G. I left a really nice note with the culprit, haven't seen her park beside me since.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Thanks guys.

The rotor direction threw me off a bit, too, but i checked and double-checked the direction of the vanes and it's "scooping", so to speak. Honestly though i didn't pay too much attention to it and sort of rushed through the process. I'll check them again and fix accordingly as needed. Thanks for being on the lookout y'all.

edit: nvm, messed up on this one. Will fix the rotor direction!
Cool! Glad you figured it out... Probably won't make a noticeable difference during everyday driving, but mine as well get it right.

Yeah, got that a week into owning the G. I left a really nice note with the culprit, haven't seen her park beside me since.
Eek! You should have bugged her until she paid to fix it. I hate door dings. My Porsche has gotten 3 in 20 years, and each one kills me everytime I look at it. LOL

Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
looks sick!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Looks so freaking good!!!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Cool! Glad you figured it out... Probably won't make a noticeable difference during everyday driving, but mine as well get it right.

Eek! You should have bugged her until she paid to fix it. I hate door dings. My Porsche has gotten 3 in 20 years, and each one kills me everytime I look at it. LOL
Got confirmation from RB that although it's facing the wrong way, it's no problem for daily driving. So at least i'm good for a few hundred miles until i can get to it (to fix). *whew*.

I've actually never been able to see the lady in person, she either leaves right before i do, or never shows up if i'm waiting. But hey, at least i know the note worked

Why don't you get your dings repaired? Battle scars?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys

Dr. G, of course i remember! Were you able to find a similar wheel?

Not similar, but I'm been contemplating just going with the T1S. I'm just too anxious to actually order them.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Dangit, so i put the car on jacks and double-checked the rotors... the vanes *are* pointing where they should, just as shown in this diagram.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
That drawing actually shows the slots going in the correct direct, but the vanes are not shown correctly for some reason. The description is correct, but for some reason the vanes and slots are not oriented correctly on that drawing... the vane rotation should match the slot rotation as stated in the description, but in the drawing they are actually opposite. Didn't you get a small yellow sheet with your rotors that show the correct direction of rotation? That sheet that came with your rotors shows the correct direction for the slots and vanes. I'd scan mine and post it, but unfortunately I threw it out after I installed mine. Just make sure your rotors are installed with the slots in the orientation shown in the drawing you posted... this will orient both the slots and the vanes so they both angle rearwards. Make sense?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Here, this pic you posted a while back shows the correct direction for the slots. Just make sure they are oriented this way and you should be good.

Like I said, based on the photos you posted of the rotors installed and going by the orientation of the calipers, it "appears" to me that you have the rotors reversed.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Here's the pic that I'm refering to where it looks like the slots are rotating in the wrong direction.

In this picture the rotor should rotate counterclockwise as the car moves forward. Compare that to the rotor on the lefthand side of the above diagram (the one that shows counterclockwise rotation) and you will see the orientation of the slots is opposite.

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...dsc_0023-1.jpg

Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Yep, the vanes are oriented correctly, it's the slots that's pointing the wrong way on mine. Mike mentioned the slots are mostly cosmetic and don't matter as much as the direction of the vanes. I'm wondering if i got a fluke? I'm contacting him in the a.m. to confirm.

Thanks for posting back and helping me out with this. Much appreciated

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Akebono + RB 2pc Installed