Midwestern Serving CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, OH, SD, UT, WI, WY

Anyone in Naptown??? aka IndiaNAPolis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KapVu
what you doing to your car jason?

mainly fixing a few leaks and clearance issus and of course more HP! what else would i do

Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 AM
anyone know a good detailer here in Indy? Anyone have the porter cable? I would love to see it in action or maybe borrow one to try out. My black G needs a good detail to get rid of all the swirls.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM
anyone know a good detailer here in Indy? Anyone have the porter cable? I would love to see it in action or maybe borrow one to try out. My black G needs a good detail to get rid of all the swirls.
I have heard a lot of good things about Jimmy Buffit's in Carmel. I haven't had any personal experience with them but know some people who have. Their website is www.jimmybuffit.com. You won't see any prices on their site because basically they look at your car, decide what they need to do, and then charge accordingly. They are not cheap!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm in SoCal, but my Dad lives South of Indy in the 812. He has a 2004 G35 and a 2005 Anniversary 350Z. So if there's anyone that lives in the Columbus, IN area and sees an old guy driving a bright pearl yellow Z... Stop and say Hi. LOL

Oh yeah, he's also got a heavily modded 2002 Yellow Miata with a Kenny Bell supercharger... so beware if you pull up next to that one at a stop light... (338 RWHP in a 2400 lb car)!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by yourdoinitwrong
I have heard a lot of good things about Jimmy Buffit's in Carmel. I haven't had any personal experience with them but know some people who have. Their website is www.jimmybuffit.com. You won't see any prices on their site because basically they look at your car, decide what they need to do, and then charge accordingly. They are not cheap!

hmm. they look really expensive. have anyone tried the Porter Cable 7424? I'm thinking about buying one and trying to polish/buff my car.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
hmm. they look really expensive. have anyone tried the Porter Cable 7424? I'm thinking about buying one and trying to polish/buff my car.
That's what I did myself. I bought a random orbital from Griot's Garage out in Plainfield and then got all my chemicals from Detailed Image. I have not completed everything yet because I didn't do everything correctly in the first place and had to strip my glaze and sealant to take care of some water spots and swirls. This is the first time I have ever detailed a car so it's been a HUGE learning process. If you do buy your own RO then just know ahead of time that it will be a very time consuming process, at least if you do what I am doing. My process is two polish steps, glaze, sealant, and wax. I think so far upfront I have shelled out about $375 for the RO, chemicals, and microfiber. In the long run though if you detail the car twice a year or more then you will come out ahead money-wise. My car won't be driven in any rain or snow and it's garaged all the time so hopefully the protection lasts a long time. Good luck and make sure you have some Advil for your back if you do it yourself!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM
yeah but my car is the daily. I don't drive it in the winter but it does see rain. I know it'll cost a lot and takes long hours so I don't mind that. I'm just worry that I can actually do it.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 PM
That was my concern as well. Today I officially threw in the towel on getting all the medium scratches out of my paint. After three different types of polishes they are still not all gone and I'm not comfortable with using a buffing compound or rotary buffer. Whoever had my car before me apparently liked Mike's Express or something instead of hand washing. Tomorrow I will be going to a few detail shops to find out what they will charge me to get rid of them. I will be doing the glaze, sealant, and wax myself still though. As long as you haven't run your car through a lot of automatic car washes or have many deeper scratches you probably won't have any problem doing it yourself with a PC. Once you get the hang of it, it's really not that hard to do and with a random orbital you won't screw up your paint. If you check out Detailed Image's website there are some instructions on how to do it yourself or you can go to www.detailuniversity.com (run by Detailed Image) and there are resources there as well. I read all that stuff and then just jumped in and did it. You will figure it out pretty quick. I just started by doing one panel to see how everything worked and then went from there. A bit of advice......spread the product around a little on the panel and then start and stop the PC with it on the car. If you take it off the panel and let it start spinning you will fling stuff all over the place (I know because I did it). After I get pricing on what it will cost to just get the scratches out I will post them on here in case anyone wants to go that route and then finish the rest themselves.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 PM
do you have a black G?

I read this and this is probably what I will perform.

https://g35driver.com/forums/care-de...t-rebirth.html

He looks like he brought the shine back from the before pictures. My care kind of looks like that. Since I drive my car everyday, I was think making just getting the NXT filler and put that on ever now and then when I wash my car. I don't see the point making it all nice if the swirls are going to return.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
My G is Twilight Blue so it's still pretty dark. I went to Jimmy Buffit's and they are going to charge me $150 to get all the scratches, swirls, and water spots off my car. He said that what I had done so far was good but that it was going to take a rotary buffer to finish it and there was no way I would do that myself. With my plan of using a glaze, then sealant, then wax I'm planning on not having to deal with swirls or anything for a long time. The guy there agreed saying that the wax would be the "sacrificial layer" and just to reapply that every 4 - 6 weeks. With the three layers of stuff I'm putting on I really won't even be touching the clear coat at all when I wash it. So I guess if you have just light swirls and no water spots etched in the paint you will be fine to polish it yourself and then put protection over it. Whatever route you go as long as you get the imperfections out and the put enough protection over it you really shouldn't get too many more swirls even if the car is your daily driver. The process you linked to looks like a really good one, it is Step 5 that I'm not comfortable with doing myself. A compound and the yellow pad is pretty abrasive. From what I have been told a compound is more effective with a rotary than a random orbital. Who knows though, this is one of those subjects that you will get a different opinion from every person you ask. I just know I will be really happy to get the imperfections out so I can get the rest of the stuff on that I paid so much freakin money for!

Last edited by yourdoinitwrong; 11-08-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Ohio G Club Member
do you have a black G?

I read this and this is probably what I will perform.

https://g35driver.com/forums/care-de...t-rebirth.html

He looks like he brought the shine back from the before pictures. My care kind of looks like that. Since I drive my car everyday, I was think making just getting the NXT filler and put that on ever now and then when I wash my car. I don't see the point making it all nice if the swirls are going to return.
i wish he had before pictures but that is EXACTLY what needs to be done to my car. However now that I need a new rear bumper I am waiting until spring to get possibly a full kit and then have a professional detail done because I do not have the patience for the full process and would probably screw it up lol

Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by kidtronix
Got a crack (pinky fingernail-sized) in one of my JDM fogs from a stone. LUCKILY the outermost glass is only a protective layer that keeps the spherical lens protected. I think I can heat it up, take the protective lens off and have the glass repaired at a shop.

And I don't tailgate, because crap like this happens. Alas, this is proof that refraining from tailgating doesn't always make a difference.

Recommendations? Thoughts? Do you feel my pain? Let me know please, I need commiseration.

I've already devised a way to keep this from ever happening again. Figured out a way I can make custom-fitted hard acrylic covers to protect the protective glass. Haha, sounds funny.

Oh yeah I know what youre thinking ($$$ ouch), and yes, like Snoop says, "this type a $hit happens ev-ry sin-gle day..." to me.DOMO

solution:

Fix the ranger and drive it from now on when you commute.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^yea

Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 AM
DIBS, I need mats!

Old 01-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Anybody looking to get rid of a set of wheels?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone in Naptown??? aka IndiaNAPolis