Midwestern Serving CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, OH, SD, UT, WI, WY

Southern MO Happnins Z wise and Jobs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Southern MO Happnins Z wise and Jobs

Hey all,
May of 2013 I plan on moving somewhere in this region after getting out of the Navy after what will be 7 and change years. I'm looking for places that have tons of windy roads (as So Cal has tons of canyons to enjoy) and a good job market with low cost of living. I despise rain and snow, but if I moved back I would get a daily and let my Z finally be a garage queen. I know it's tough everywhere, but So Cal has nothing for me after I get out except un employment and the GI Bill. Im working on my Associates(or more) while Im in and my gf will be finishing her Masters in Public Health. She will be scoping out areas while completing an internship in the area too. We both have family in the midwest(Iowa, Nebraska, and some Missouri) and would like to be able to drive to see them when possible.

~cool story bro~ right?

Well, I would like some of y'alls inputs on where you live, and why you live there.

Cliffs

Getting out of the military in 2013
Looking for mild winters
Windy Roads
Good Z/G following(or cars in general)
Good job opportunities-for me with very little college and basically useless Military skills
Low Cost of living

We like the look of the Ozarks, but I have never been there in anything but diapers so not sure moving there blind would work?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2011, 05:40 PM
bump!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM
ttt

Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 AM
anyone have information?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Any G information?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Move to the Ozarks if you like old people and don't like seeing any nice cars. I live in Kansas City, and my family goes down there frequently. KC is great though. You can move into a suburb of KC and relatively cheaply.

The following users liked this post:
G35UMKC (03-10-2012)
Old 12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by dphillips2011
Move to the Ozarks if you like old people and don't like seeing any nice cars. I live in Kansas City, and my family goes down there frequently. KC is great though. You can move into a suburb of KC and relatively cheaply.
So, Ozarks =old people, no car scene? Gotcha! What's the monthly meet situation like in KC or suburbs? Thanks for the information!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's not entirely true. Springfield is a pretty nice little city. It's smaller, but it still feels like there's something going on. I lived there for 4 years after spending the three before that in Virginia on the coast. Springfield has plenty of winding roads with gorgeous scenery in every direction. Springfield is also a little college town. Missouri State is there and you can definitely tell when school is in. You won't see the old people unless you go down to Branson, which is about 45 miles south of there. The car scene is up and coming as well. My best friend got together with a couple other guys and started this group called TruForm and it has steadily grown every year. Everyone is really cool and they don't tolerate trash talking like some other forums let ride out. The last little group meeting I made it to, there were well over 100 cars of regular members show up, and like I said, it's still growing.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by RoadblocK
That's not entirely true. Springfield is a pretty nice little city. It's smaller, but it still feels like there's something going on. I lived there for 4 years after spending the three before that in Virginia on the coast. Springfield has plenty of winding roads with gorgeous scenery in every direction. Springfield is also a little college town. Missouri State is there and you can definitely tell when school is in. You won't see the old people unless you go down to Branson, which is about 45 miles south of there. The car scene is up and coming as well. My best friend got together with a couple other guys and started this group called TruForm and it has steadily grown every year. Everyone is really cool and they don't tolerate trash talking like some other forums let ride out. The last little group meeting I made it to, there were well over 100 cars of regular members show up, and like I said, it's still growing.
That's really cool. And helpful! I should be focusing on jobs and what kinda employment is available, but I love up and coming car stuff. I'm stoked to hear all this. Very good information and would love to help build a meet/club! Thanks again for the info!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
bump for more areas... From the info I have seen here and the Z board, I'm looking into Springfield or surrounding

Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM
yo yo yo! Any more info fo fo?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM
bump for info/jobs!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is kind of an out of date thread but hey o well. Im from the columbia area and its a pretty decent sized city. Its a university city (MIZ-ZOU) so theres always somethin to do. Alot of g's and z's around. Id like to get a meet and greet going here too. Jobs are pretty plentiful around here with the university, and va hospital supplying a lot of jobs, among other companies here.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by jgitt
This is kind of an out of date thread but hey o well. Im from the columbia area and its a pretty decent sized city. Its a university city (MIZ-ZOU) so theres always somethin to do. Alot of g's and z's around. Id like to get a meet and greet going here too. Jobs are pretty plentiful around here with the university, and va hospital supplying a lot of jobs, among other companies here.
Not out of date! I just bumped it on the Z board, but forgot to on here. How is the weather around those parts? It looks to be right in between KC and StL. I was thinking around the Springfield or surrounding areas because the GF has grandparents that love the mild winters... Im in So Cal right now, so i have high hopes.........just playing... I LOVE San Diego, but there's just not much here for me after the military.... If I could move in with my parents (like most my friends out here) I would, but they live in florida.

Also, Im very reliable when it comes to setting up cruises and I always follow through... I am part of a lil group of friends/car club and I would like to get a MId west chapter started....how are the roads as far as cruises and spirited driving?

I don't have much schooling, I should be finishing up my Associates before the end of this year and I have the GI Bill to pay for my schooling when I get out so Im not expecting 6figure jobs right away... my gf is finishing her masters so Im hopin she becomes teh bacon winner for a change

Thanks for the info you can provide!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
Not out of date! I just bumped it on the Z board, but forgot to on here. How is the weather around those parts? It looks to be right in between KC and StL. I was thinking around the Springfield or surrounding areas because the GF has grandparents that love the mild winters... Im in So Cal right now, so i have high hopes.........just playing... I LOVE San Diego, but there's just not much here for me after the military.... If I could move in with my parents (like most my friends out here) I would, but they live in florida.

Also, Im very reliable when it comes to setting up cruises and I always follow through... I am part of a lil group of friends/car club and I would like to get a MId west chapter started....how are the roads as far as cruises and spirited driving?

I don't have much schooling, I should be finishing up my Associates before the end of this year and I have the GI Bill to pay for my schooling when I get out so Im not expecting 6figure jobs right away... my gf is finishing her masters so Im hopin she becomes teh bacon winner for a change

Thanks for the info you can provide!
Well let me see if i can answer all your questions.
1. the weather lately has been HOT but where hasnt it been, last winter was abnormally warm, But the saying around here is if you dont like the weather just wait a bit and it will change, thats just Missouri.
2. Springfield is a nice area ive been there several times. Columbia is smack dab in the middle of stl and kc, which is kinda nice because youre 2 hours from either so your close to the really big city if you cant find it in columbia.
3. It would be awesome to get some cruises going. There are some pretty nice back roads that are windy and twisty. In town theyre good also and there are tons of cool places to have meets and cruises.
4. a Job shouldnt be hard to find especially for someone with a military background, im going to school and will be for severaly more years for my degree but i have heard really good things about the Veterans hospital here. They give people with military backgrounds first priority and they pay quite well. For example ive been told that say for example if you got a job there say as a janitor you would likely start out at like $15 and hour and do the 8-5. Ive heard they take care of everyone who works there. just an idea tho, wherever you choose to live im sure you will be happy.

Any other questions shoot em my way ive lived in Cairo my whole life, basically grew up in Cairo which is like 10 min from cairo, and spent tons of time in Columbia, and now i live in Columbia, have family all around so im pretty familiar with the surrounding areas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Southern MO Happnins Z wise and Jobs