New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New to forums, looking to buy G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New to forums, looking to buy G35

Hey all, I'm new to these forums (been lurking around for a little while just reading, decided to create a profile today) and new to G35s. A little about myself, I'm 21 years old and a mechanical engineering student at the University of Michigan. I'm also on the FSAE team there (if anyone knows what that is).

Anyways, I've got a job this summer and am looking to buy a G35 within a few weeks or so. My budget is about $12-15k ($15 is like tops) and I'm looking for a 6MT coupe. I've found a few on autotrader/craigslist that are within like 250 miles, but the one big thing I would like to know is if there are any specific problems these cars have that I should get checked out before I buy a car. The ones I'm looking at, in my price range, are all fairly high mileage (like 80-100k miles), so I'd like to know of any big ticket items I should have checked out around that mileage. I've heard of the things like the 'rattles' and the window motors, and from what I understand the G uses a timing chain as opposed to a belt (so that *shouldn't* have to be replaced until much later, if at all), but what else should I be aware of?

I apologize if this type of question is really common; I couldn't really find any good threads on this though, just point me in the right direction if need-be.

Thanks in advance guys.

Oh, and if this type of question should be in a different section, I apologize, please just move it mods.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
some of the earlier years have oil consumption issues(2003 i believe). window motors are worth a crap on these cars. go through drivetrain alot while driving cause 6mt tranny's have had some slight problems before. it would prolly be best to try and find one that is still unmodded at all!!, maybe you can get one from a granny who is tired of hers lol gl on your search

Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by usdmg35
some of the earlier years have oil consumption issues(2003 i believe). window motors are worth a crap on these cars. go through drivetrain alot while driving cause 6mt tranny's have had some slight problems before. it would prolly be best to try and find one that is still unmodded at all!!, maybe you can get one from a granny who is tired of hers lol gl on your search
Thanks man. From what I've been reading though, it sounds like the oil consumption issue is only really present on the rev-up motors ('05-'07?). Chances are, just from my price range, I'll end up with an '03 or '04 so I'm hoping I won't have to deal with it. Can anyone else confirm this?

Any idea what transmission issues there are? I'm doing my best to find unmodded cars; I'd like to do a few basic mods myself (z-tube and maybe pop-charger, plenum spacer, lowering springs, etc...) so I'd prefer an unmodded one anyways.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
i had a buddy who's tranny has messed up twice on him now, not sure of exact issue but its why i went with the 5AT, plus the 5AT has longer gears just sufffers from drivetrain loss. are you looking for a coupe or sedan, go through and try to read as many FAQ'S as you can find available. also read up on my350z.com cause there is a ton of info there that applies just the same

Old 06-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks again for the quick reply. I'll take a look at the 350z forums too, it does seem like a lot of things are very similar (if not identical) between the two cars.

I'm looking for a coupe, and I'm pretty much set on the 6MT. I've been driving autos since I got my license at 16, and in the past couple years I've gotten more "into cars" and I'd like to get a manual. You know, I'm fairly young and think a manual is more fun.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by agidley
Thanks man. From what I've been reading though, it sounds like the oil consumption issue is only really present on the rev-up motors ('05-'07?). Chances are, just from my price range, I'll end up with an '03 or '04 so I'm hoping I won't have to deal with it. Can anyone else confirm this?

Any idea what transmission issues there are? I'm doing my best to find unmodded cars; I'd like to do a few basic mods myself (z-tube and maybe pop-charger, plenum spacer, lowering springs, etc...) so I'd prefer an unmodded one anyways.
You're right about the rev-up motors. Oil consumption is only an issue on the 05+ models.

I just recently bought an '03 coupe with 88k miles so I was probably in the same boat as you. With your price range, you'll prob be able to find an '03-'04 between 75-90k miles (at least that's how it is in California. Not sure how prices are in Michigan) As far as mechanical problems go at 100k, I think you'll probably only find cars with messed up window motors or lock actuators. Those were the only problems with my car when I bought it. I've heard seats will rattle too sometimes. But as for as the engine goes, I can't think of many major issues that need to be aware of. As long as the previous owner kept up on its maintenance then the engine should be good.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Awesome, that's reassuring. I'm not too worried about little interior rattles and such, some foam/tape/something should be able to take care of most of those. And maintenance history is one of the big things I'm looking for in used cars.