New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New member 2007 G35 Coupe (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member 2007 G35 Coupe (56k warning)

Alright, where to start. Well my name is Hayden Nunnally. I live in Alabama, and have for all 18 years of my life (yes, I am 18).

First off, I'm going to show some pictures of my first car, a riced out 2001 Honda Prelude. It did bring in the girls though haha. Had 27,xxx miles (all original) at the time of purchase. Mechanical wise, it ran great (though it made me hate FWD with a passion) but the modifications (mainly the suicide doors ) were a weekly (or more) problem. Pains of an all show-no go car.
Name:  IMG_0546.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  309.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0540.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  219.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0537.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  264.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0524.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  283.1 KB
The rear of this car was on of my favorite mods ^^^
Name:  IMG_0519.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  323.1 KB
I later stuffed 235 width tires on those 7in rims, which not only looked better, it held much higher speed in the turns.

A little bit about the car, I bought it (or rather my parents bought it) on my 15th Birthday. A close family friend (who had all the work done) let it go, because of what a headache it was, for a very good deal. I'd rather not say price, but lets say <10k. Had a coilover system (Koni springs, Ground Control coilover, Tokico blue shocks), body kit, suicide doors, full stereo, neons (), etc. Only "performance" parts was a KN filter and catback straight pipes. It was a great learning experience (working on it so much), was fast enough to be kinda fun, and drew me into the car world. If I could go back, I doubt I would have changed much, seeing it wasn't too* ricey.

Sold that car to someone else, he worked for an electrical company and was/is competent to give it the work it needs constantly. Sold it for more than I paid, but still a loss after all the work I had done.

Anyways, after finally deciding that a g35 was the car for me (Been searching cars long before I sold the Prelude) I started hunting. I originally wanted a 6 speed (Prelude was a 5 speed manual) but how hard it was to find a reasonably priced one, non moded, in good shape, and how it would be my daily driver for college (and a few other things) I decided to stick to auto. Besides, this is a good auto. Well after looking more, I found out that the 2007 (and some 2006s) had the ikey in auto, I really really wanted it. So I came to an agreement with my parents and they would give me a fair amount more towards the car (since I got full tuition and books paid for with a scholarship, for 4 years). Then I was to pay back $4k (on top of an extra $1k I had saved up). I had been working a minimum wage job, though 30-40hrs a week almost every week. Still work there (its a meat market, basically a grocery store that focuses on fresh meat and whatnot). Well I found a black 2007 with 54,xxx miles on it in Illinois for a fair cost. Owner (who I wish had not been the owner, thanks to some of his lying) claimed not a single scratch, no rust, no problems. Well he agreed to meet me in Nashville, TN (halfway for both of us) and met at an airfield (his dad was a pilot, who would fly him home upon purchase). Car was quite immaculate, but there were a few problems. First was the small scratches all over the car, including spider webs on the front bumper. Not a problem, if I had been told it was there before making the trip. The dishonesty worried me, and he tried to play it off as if he'd never seen it before. Caught him lying, but I digress. Next problem, the notorious window motor. Passenger side. I knew my stuff (thanks to reading on this forum for months before joining or purchasing the car) and I knew it was "normal". Once again, not a big deal, except that he lied and told me there were *no* problems. Oh well. Strike 2 for Daddy's money boy. Started hunting for rust. No rust. Looked for more problems (my dad is a mechanic and mainly electrician working for Thompson Tractor (part of CAT) so he knows his stuff) and found no more problems. So sometime in March, we bought the car. After registering and taxes and whatnot, it stayed barely below $20k.

Well I'm not sure the time frame on this, but I changed the oil at 55k. Put new back tires on (had stock sized Continental ExtremeContact DWS) in size 285/35/19 (btw this car had all options but navi), yes on stock rims. Trust me, its safe. It *will* hold up. I don't track the car (besides 1/4 mile) but it has been on many spirited drives. I haven't had the money to put front tires on yet.

Short background on my family, my brother (now 20 years old) owns a 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (he is working full time (runs CNC machines), paying for it all himself). My mom* owns a 2000 Dodge Viper ACR. Haha odd right? Well she loved the way it looked when she saw one at a local car show (which my Prelude was often in). So I kinda have speed and skill in my blood.

On to the pictures, what you all really want.

First, this is on the Tail of the Dragon during a viper meet. My mom is in front of me, with another viper (800hp, supercharged) in front of her. The three of us are running together. The guy behind me, that was the closest he got unless we stopped. The guy in front (800hp viper) was a track guru, and one of the best drivers I'd ever seen. Him, my mother, and myself had to slow down to build a gap between ourselves and the vipers ahead of us (keep in mind nobody is cruising, all pushing hard) to give us room to have fun. All weekend (2 day thing) I had these guys asking me what all I had done. They were shocked as ever when I said "just rear tires" and laughed. I was pushing that car *very* hard, braking very late (tapping brakes mid corner to battle understeer, something I learned with the Prelude) and gassing it very early. Never crossed the yellow line, never wrecked, nothing. I hate to float my own boat, but I can drive pretty well. It's seriously in my blood. For reference, here is a video of the vipers in the *very front* who were going faster than us, and the guys behind them. I wish I had of had a camera so bad in my car to show you all, but this is the best I can do. Btw, the camera car here is a 2010 ACR, and I have no idea how to embed a video, so....link..haha

The only pic I have saved on my computer of that day. We (approx. 40 vipers (most were 600+ hp, some 1000+), a lambo, a gtr (alpha 9 ), a few corvettes (including a TT Z06), etc) were driving almost the entire day. And rarely driving the speed limit. 2 vipers and the GTR got tickets, one viper wrecked on the tail (same thing happened year before, same guy) and ruined the front, another guy (due to the crap thrown on the road from the previous guy) went into a ditch, with minimal damage. Nobody was hurt, aside from egos. Now the picture.
Name:  1853261.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  466.6 KB

For those who don't wanna wait, skip to the last video that has the Mercedes driving.

Actually, here is a video of the parade afterwards (I didn't drive in this, it was supposed to just be the vipers, but that was changed last minutes, and I was already in the viper with my mom.

This video is from a guy in the back. Skip to 12 minutes to see all the cars that ran that day, skip to about 12:55 to see my dad (light blue polo), mom (only woman out of the 4 of us), me (blonde hair, no fear shirt), and the guy (Roger) with the 800hp viper who led my mother and I. 13min, there is my mom's viper (red, in front of me), and of course me.

You can see me driving a little in this video. Behind me is a red viper, this is the Mercedes behind him. You *only* see me when we slow down to build room or for traffic. Skip to 2:25, you'll see Roger go by (Black with white stripes) then my mom, then me. Note that the yellow charger moves out of the way at 4:00. Also note that the Mercedes is going a lot slower than the red viper, which is going slower than me. Skip to about 8:30 to watch me pull away haha

The thread where all this is found.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/...48#post3080548

And here are some picture from when I bought it, after cleaning, on the trip, whatever. Its all I have right now.
Name:  2012-04-02_14-46-48_784.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  344.1 KB
Name:  2012-04-17_17-13-01_413.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  322.7 KB
Tag isn't personalized, just a Barbers tag.
Name:  IMG_20120529_192949.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  234.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20120529_192821.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  183.2 KB
Name:  IMG_20120531_124946.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  46.9 KB
On the way to the meet, somewhere in TN.

Last edited by Nunnally04; 08-07-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Then the horrible happened. I was going 50 on a 45 road (this is slow for me, but after a speeding (74 in a 55, about to turn 65) and a following too closely ticket (total being almost $600) I slowed it down) a dog walked out in front of me. I hit the brakes hard and moved as far to the side of the road as I could. Hit the dog at around 35-45 (wasn't watching, was trying to avoid hitting the poor stupid dog). Well long story short (for once) the dog was perfectly fine. He/she bounced off the bumper. Crapped on my car, but was fine. Completely. My car...not so much.
Name:  IMG_14491.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  289.9 KB
Name:  IMG_14481.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  249.0 KB

One a good note, I am going to save up and pay the difference out of pocket to upgrade to another bumper. I am thinking the Arch Industries K2 Remix (due to its clean look). And fitment is a big deal to me (learned the hard way with my Prelude) so trust is a big deal for me. Any advice on this guys?

Well for those of you who took the time to read all of this, I appreciate the interest. I hope you can handle my ricey-ness. Feel free to ask questions, suggest anything, whatever. I am fairly open minded haha. So how is this for a first post?

And apparently I do know how to embed a video haha

Oh, and btw, I run a consistent 14.9-15.0 at 95ish mph at the 1/4 mile. This is a notorious slow track. There is a ZR1 with I/H/E the same night that ran a best of 11.2. I was hitting .1 reaction times though, so I did pretty well. Also beat am older 350z (20in wheels, system, etc) who was running 15.3ish...beat him twice lol.

Last edited by Nunnally04; 08-07-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
plans for the car?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by ME GUSTA
plans for the car?
Short term: Front bumper (will run brake ducts at this point, and do a few cosmetic things), front tires, new pads/rotors/lines/fluid, suspension parts (mainly sway bars, not wanting to slam the car), then maybe a few bolt-on parts (including valve body).

Long term (few years): New wheels/tires (285/305 with body work to match), single turbo, supporting mods.etc.

So anything soon won't be too big. I'll keep a track on it and pics so I can keep a build thread once it gets going. After my Prelude I'm focusing on speed/performance rather than *all* looks.

Very next thing I'm doing, Arch Industries K2 Remix bumper (what I have my mind set on now), clear corners, and blacked out headlight housing.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
something tells me you'll fit in more with the sti/evo guys than the g35 guys.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by ME GUSTA
something tells me you'll fit in more with the sti/evo guys than the g35 guys.

Haha close, but no cigar. The way I look at it is reliability>Function=Form. That make sense?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Welcome to G35Driver. Speed pays.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
Welcome to G35Driver. Speed pays.
That's the truth. I never saw anything wrong with it (from a safety aspect) but now I'll rarely go more than 5 over. Usually not even that. Unless its an unusually nice day, on an unusually fun road haha.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
I have my moments too. Like doing 140+ on a back road. But, I try not too. It's rough on the car and dangerous.

And please clean the haze off your headlights. lol.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by rsingerG35
I have my moments too. Like doing 140+ on a back road. But, I try not too. It's rough on the car and dangerous.

And please clean the haze off your headlights. lol.
Speed is most definitely addictive though. I like acceleration/handling more than pure speed though.

And I did haha. I just haven't taken any pictures since then. I should have a new bumper (still thinking k2 remix), clear corners, blacked out headlight housing and grill, etc within a month or two.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to G35Driver. Congratulation your Honda...

Old 08-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tomek g35c
Welcome to G35Driver. Congratulation your Honda...
Haha you mean congratulations for getting rid of it? Agreed hahah.

And thanks for the welcome.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Have you done any mods for your g35 yet? I've been looking around for mods for the same year and model. Kinda need help looking for something good and worth it.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by stl1479
Have you done any mods for your g35 yet? I've been looking around for mods for the same year and model. Kinda need help looking for something good and worth it.
Not really. But I am currently collecting a few different things. Mostly saving money. I just had to buy that iPhone haha.

I can say, looking back on it, don't go wider than 245f/255r on OEM 19s. I haven't hurt anything, it's just slightly unnerving and the camber (At stock specs) kinda messes with the tires technology (bigger blocks on the outer edge for handling, etc).

First mods I would do is some nice sticky tires. I love my Nitto Invos for this car (quiet, fairly good treadwear, and good performance). Are you wanting looks, power, or handling? I'll help where I can, but most of what I know on what to buy is either personal opinion/experience, or from researching. Mostly research. Start with that, but like I said I'll help however I can.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah well I've been research around for just exteriors for now. Most likely check out for engine parts later on. They don't have much body kits for 07. Some say 03-07 but it's mainly 03-06. I probably have to do further research. I've been reading other forums to see their reviews on some makes. But thanks a lot! [=

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member 2007 G35 Coupe (56k warning)