New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New member in CT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013 | 09:57 PM
|
New member in CT

Hi guys just picked up my 2003 G35 Coupe 6 speed in silver! I have to say I love this f*** car and can't stop driving it . The car came from Florida and has 54,000 original miles.

This forum is great an I have taken a lot from it in a short period of time. Thanks for all the hard work and posts.

Attached Thumbnails New member in CT-image.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013 | 10:47 PM
WOW!!! That is very good mileage on there. And the paint looks new. Any plans for the G?

Old 03-10-2013 | 11:09 PM
|
I am planning on buying some goodies soon for a tune up. I would like to put some mileage on the car and get a feel for it before getting into a build. I would love to pick up a extra bottom end to start preparing for a turbo build. That way I could still have some fun driving and save up some funds.

Old 03-10-2013 | 11:21 PM
Turbo would be very nice. Just get your bolt ons before you do so you can get your final tune for some great numbers.

Old 03-11-2013 | 04:50 PM
Great find, do you what wheels those are? Looks great!

Old 03-12-2013 | 09:12 PM
|
Sorry for the late response, the wheels are concept one.

Old 03-12-2013 | 09:23 PM
Post SEARCH is your friend, use it....=oD

Welcome to DRIVER....Dirty! Well at least the beautiful coupe isn't, nice find with so few miles. We don't give our G35s a "Tune Up" it's more about a strict maintenance schedule, quality synthetic oil & filters. Plugs don't need to be changed until you have 100K miles on your coupe's clock. Congratulations Dirty, enjoy the ride....Gary

Old 03-12-2013 | 09:26 PM
|
Do you guys know by any chance what the ohm rating is on the original Bose speakers in the front and back of the coupe? I purchased a 4 channel 300w Alpine amp and its heating up and shutting off on me after 30 minutes or so. I have double checked the ground and power connections. I'm thinking it might be that it's wired for 4 ohm not 2ohm.

Old 03-12-2013 | 09:27 PM
|
Thanks Gary!

Old 03-13-2013 | 01:39 AM
Ct member in Madison

Just got a G37 6MT in Liquid Platinum. Drove it from California to Ct. Just a great car!!

Old 03-13-2013 | 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by DirtyLeche
Do you guys know by any chance what the ohm rating is on the original Bose speakers in the front and back of the coupe? I purchased a 4 channel 300w Alpine amp and its heating up and shutting off on me after 30 minutes or so. I have double checked the ground and power connections. I'm thinking it might be that it's wired for 4 ohm not 2ohm.
I don't know about these speakers specifically, but Bose is known for using very low impedance speakers in their home system setups. It's one reason they get a lot of volume for the low amp power they use (that is not necessarily a good thing). Car amps can usually play into pretty low impedance but, again, I don't know what low the Bose speakers are offering.

Here is a test you can do... Wire two speakers in series into one amp channel, doubling the resistence of the circuit. If you still have overheating issues at the same 30 minutes of play, then is it likely not caused by low impedance.

If you turn the volume up, does the heating and shutdown of the amp happen sooner? If the problem is low resistence, louder volumes should speed up the shutdown. That is not a conclusive test for the heating problem, because louder volumes will create more heat with basically any amp. However, if it is a low impedance shutdown built into the amp, higher power should cause a faster shutdown.

Old 03-14-2013 | 09:20 AM
|
When I turn up the volume the amp does get hot faster. The amp is only turned up half way too. Probably is a wiring issue with the speakers. I have it wired one speaker to one channel. I think its best for me to start from scratch and rewire the speakers and make sure + & - are correct.

Old 03-14-2013 | 09:21 AM
|
Originally Posted by Jimbo1mcm
Just got a G37 6MT in Liquid Platinum. Drove it from California to Ct. Just a great car!!
That must have been a great ride!!!

Old 03-14-2013 | 09:23 AM
|
Originally Posted by SoloScott
I don't know about these speakers specifically, but Bose is known for using very low impedance speakers in their home system setups. It's one reason they get a lot of volume for the low amp power they use (that is not necessarily a good thing). Car amps can usually play into pretty low impedance but, again, I don't know what low the Bose speakers are offering.

Here is a test you can do... Wire two speakers in series into one amp channel, doubling the resistence of the circuit. If you still have overheating issues at the same 30 minutes of play, then is it likely not caused by low impedance.

If you turn the volume up, does the heating and shutdown of the amp happen sooner? If the problem is low resistence, louder volumes should speed up the shutdown. That is not a conclusive test for the heating problem, because louder volumes will create more heat with basically any amp. However, if it is a low impedance shutdown built into the amp, higher power should cause a faster shutdown.
I am going to try your way first , thats a great idea

Old 03-24-2013 | 03:21 AM
|
Finally have a solid day off tomorrow to work on the issue. I will post the trouble shooting when I am done

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member in CT