New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

So this is what luxury feels like...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So this is what luxury feels like...

Hey Everyone!

This past Friday I made the jump and purchased my first vehicle, an 05 G35! I've been driving a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for the past 7 years and hitting 224,000 miles was starting to get a little sketch. I couldn't be any happier!

I'm extremely new to the mod scene, meaning I know nothing. I have some friends who own a Hyundai Genesis Coupe and a Subaru STI who talk about car modifications but I'm having trouble following them. I would love to get some help on understanding what type of direction I should go first, what to stay away from and what to start saving up down the line, I live in SoCal.

Below are some photos, I've been too busy driving the car around to take some more.

Last edited by TheNative; 07-09-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good change! Welcome to the G community. Modding is all dependent on personal taste. Our cars already come pretty damn nice from the factory but many people start switching out small things like clear side markers or adding tint. The only thing that really tops off the car is a drop and maybe some wheel spacers to beefen up the way the car sits. Modding is all on you and your budget, whatever fits your taste and budget.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 to the drop and wheels. Wheels can be a bit of an investment. But a good set of lowering springs installed will set you back in the $400 range depending on where you go. Car looks nice though!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
If you really want the car to go a LITTLE bit faster it's going to cost a lot. I agree with above, simple things you can do yourself and make a big difference, OEM clear corners, a 350Z intake tube (makes the car sound way better) and spacers. I had the same wheels you do and was on the fence about spacers but it looked SO much better. All of these little upgrades you can easily do yourself too. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by young_G
Good change! Welcome to the G community. Modding is all dependent on personal taste. Our cars already come pretty damn nice from the factory but many people start switching out small things like clear side markers or adding tint. The only thing that really tops off the car is a drop and maybe some wheel spacers to beefen up the way the car sits. Modding is all on you and your budget, whatever fits your taste and budget.
I agree, the G in it's stock form is already above the expectations I had. I'm just asking what do most G owners tend to add right away. Tint is definitely on the bill, so that's happening within the next few weeks.

The side markers look great, are they legal to change in California?

Also, my G does not have an AUX port, is that something people tend to get installed? Best Buy can for 140 bucks, but they aren't on my list for reputable work.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I went down that looong road for the aux port. You can get an FM modulator (hard lined aux port) and that should work for you. What city are you in?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
well he picked it up from mission viejo infiniti. you will prob get to know the parts people well if you start modding it. i would personally start with suspension mods first and see where it gets you. And get the 06 projector lights!! you will not be disappointed.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by dukehotty
I went down that looong road for the aux port. You can get an FM modulator (hard lined aux port) and that should work for you. What city are you in?
That's what I was thinking of doing instead. Drop 50 bucks and get an FM transmitter through the cigarette lighter.

I'm in Mission Viejo. I see you're in SB though. I just had a few friends from work transfer up there...I'm pretty jealous.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
boost it, slam it, get some nice wheels n stance it.

/done

Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by TheNative
I agree, the G in it's stock form is already above the expectations I had. I'm just asking what do most G owners tend to add right away. Tint is definitely on the bill, so that's happening within the next few weeks.

Also, my G does not have an AUX port, is that something people tend to get installed? Best Buy can for 140 bucks, but they aren't on my list for reputable work.
Clear side markers are legal as long as you have an amber colors bulb, if you change the color of the bulb then it become illegal. My fist mod was a blacked out grill with the emblem left its original color. It made the car look slightly more aggressive.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by TheNative

Clear side markers are legal as long as you have an amber colored bulb, if you change the color of the bulb then it become illegal. My fist mod was a blacked out grill with the emblem left its original color. It made the car look slightly more aggressive.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Welcome, nice purchase! Here is a start for you- http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=4276

Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Z1Motorsports
Welcome, nice purchase! Here is a start for you- http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=4276
Why have I never heard of this... Amazing deal. Plenum alone is 200$! I'm going to sell my boxed plenum and buy this kit ASAP.

OP, let us know if you buy the wheel spacers because I think I want to get them myself.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
Welcome to the G community! Where in cali are you from

Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 AM
If you really want the car to go a LITTLE bit faster it's going to cost a lot. I agree with above, simple things you can do yourself and make a big difference, OEM clear corners, a 350Z intake tube (makes the car sound way better) and spacers. I had the same wheels you do and was on the fence about spacers but it looked SO much better. All of these little upgrades you can easily do yourself too. Good luck!
I definitely want to give the car a meaner sound, I'll have to look into the intake tube and put it on my list. I keep looking into spacers but from pictures and videos they really don't seem to do much...at least in my eyes. Do they really create that much of a different look? Perhaps I need to see it in person.

Oh and I went and bought a FM transmitter today...piece of ****. I'll be getting a port installed within the next week or two after I get my tint done.

Originally Posted by hurleyguys
well he picked it up from mission viejo infiniti. you will prob get to know the parts people well if you start modding it. i would personally start with suspension mods first and see where it gets you. And get the 06 projector lights!! you will not be disappointed.
I thought about working with the suspension but the car is already extremely low, so low I have to idle up the driveway. I'm not sure it would be worth it to lower it anymore. However, those projectors are gorgeous. Leaps and bounds better than my current lights. Have a specific brand you would suggest?

Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Welcome to the G community! Where in cali are you from
I'm in Mission Viejo, right off the 5. Where abouts are you?

Last edited by TheNative; 07-10-2013 at 05:22 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So this is what luxury feels like...