New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

So this is what luxury feels like...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
If you are planning on keeping the car for a long time, you should leave the stock stereo/speakers alone until you find an after market head unit. It's expensive but sounds a million times better. Bose made an amazing system (for my home) but the Bose in my G35 sounds horrible. Trying to upgrade the Bose is like polishing a turd.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
As far as the spacers go, I did a lot of homework here on this forum and decided to go with 25mm Ichiba hubcentric spacers (front and back) It is super easy to do yourself IF you can safely lift your car. Night and day difference when you see it in person. PM me if you decide to add spacers.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
z1 motorsports full intake the way to go

Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dukehotty
If you are planning on keeping the car for a long time, you should leave the stock stereo/speakers alone until you find an after market head unit. It's expensive but sounds a million times better. Bose made an amazing system (for my home) but the Bose in my G35 sounds horrible. Trying to upgrade the Bose is like polishing a turd.
Really? That's a bummer because the Bose in my car sounds amazing. My Grand Cherokee had a factory installed upgraded sound system and the G's beats it hands down. I was looking at head units but I prefer the stock unit right now.

Originally Posted by dukehotty
As far as the spacers go, I did a lot of homework here on this forum and decided to go with 25mm Ichiba hubcentric spacers (front and back) It is super easy to do yourself IF you can safely lift your car. Night and day difference when you see it in person. PM me if you decide to add spacers.
Could you PM me before and after pics? I'd really like to see how this looks. Do you have any problems wheel rub?

Originally Posted by 3000vr4tt
z1 motorsports full intake the way to go
I've been hearing this, I'll have to look into it. Tint and 06 projectors are currently on my list.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Having been in the same boat as you years ago I'd suggest enjoying the car for now and learning about all the possible mods for the Gs on this site.
There's an encyclopedia of info on here that will take a while to cover.
My G sounded perfect and was low enough for me.
And I even liked the stance, so I told myself I wouldn't mod THIS ride.
Once I got used to the coupe though the mod bug eventually set in again and it was game on.

Word of advise, most of the breather mods for our cars will not produce that much extra hp.
But for many of us it is worth it.
Only going forced induction will make a huge diff, but to do it right you're looking at thousands of $.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by irishsig
Having been in the same boat as you years ago I'd suggest enjoying the car for now and learning about all the possible mods for the Gs on this site.
There's an encyclopedia of info on here that will take a while to cover.
My G sounded perfect and was low enough for me.
And I even liked the stance, so I told myself I wouldn't mod THIS ride.
Once I got used to the coupe though the mod bug eventually set in again and it was game on.

Word of advise, most of the breather mods for our cars will not produce that much extra hp.
But for many of us it is worth it.
Only going forced induction will make a huge diff, but to do it right you're looking at thousands of $.
Thanks for the tips. I'm not looking to dump thousands into the car because It's already beating my expectations. What were your first upgrades? What did you find was worth the cash?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNative
Thanks for the tips. I'm not looking to dump thousands into the car because It's already beating my expectations. What were your first upgrades? What did you find was worth the cash?
I'll try to keep this brief as possible while still being informative.
Unlike a lot of other cars you can't just slap on an intake and exhaust and get considerable HP gain from the G.
They came very well tuned from the factory so any power upgrades you do short of FI will be in small increments, but if you know the G you will feel the difference in response and sound.
I initially started with wheel spacers so the wheels were more flush with the wheel wells and then graduated to lowering the car.

Power wise I 1st added:
z-tube (oem 350Z air intake) it doesn't have the baffle that the G tube has
Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer
Motordyne MREV2 (best bang for your buck)
http://www.motordyneusa.com/index.ph...id=2&Itemid=15
I personally consider these 3 mods the best to start out with and give you the most bang for your buck by far.
These mods will vary between auto and 6mt coupes.
This gave the G a lot more growl and go without changing the oem exhaust note too much. Just made it more aggressive and meaner.

Then I added aftermarket exhaust and HFCs. This will completely change the sound of the exhaust.
There are some favorite exhausts on this forum but good exhaust notes are so subjective.
Most agree that the Motordyne TDX2 and Fast Intentions sound the best and are the highest quality.
The last thing I plan to do is eventually get a tune. No reason to do this until you are completely satisfied with all your breather mods.
Because the minute you change something you'll want to get another tune to best utilize the new parts you have just installed on the car.

Lots and lots of research is your best bet to decide what works best for you, but if you have any more ques feel free to ask.
It can be a little daunting at 1st.
It took me years but that's because I was on a budget and bought mostly used parts on this forum.
Half the fun for me was finding the parts and going through the gradual upgrade process.
I'm still not done modding....

Last edited by irishsig; 07-12-2013 at 01:55 PM.