New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Brakes, steering wheel shake, battery light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes, steering wheel shake, battery light

i have a 2007 G35s 4dr. Today, I was driving and a heard a noice. At the same time, my A/C started blowing hot air which was originally blowing cold air, my steering wheel was shaking and wouldn't turn left or right. The brake and battery light also came and stayed on. Did the A/C blow hot air because I need to add freon?
Is there anything else I have to replace besides the front rotors, brake pads, engine oil and add freon to a/c?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Did this all happen simultaneously?? If so there's an underlying problem that caused this..first off you don't just lose freon without there bein a leak somewhere..it's a closed system. If it all of a sudden stopped blowing cold air, your compressor shut off. Being that your brake and battery light came on as well I'd say you lost power to your compressor and its an electrical problem. Did you run over or hit something??

Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 AM
This happened simultaneously. A few months ago, after cleaning my k&n filters, due to water/cleaner sucking into my throttle, I had throttle issues, revving by itself while the car was in idle. I did some research and found a way to reset the throttle sensor by eventually unplugging the battery terminal. However, the idle relearn was not completed since some people advised it was not necessary. The car drove just fine but the fan turned on louder than usual occasionally while I was in idle, which I heard was normal. A week ago, I replaced my back rotors and brake pads bit couldn't do the fronts due to the parts being unavailable. The front brakes were replaced months ago but the mechanic forgot to shave my rotors so my steering was shaking when I broke at certain speeds.

Could the cause of the compressor shutting off, brake and battery light coming on simultaneously be caused by the break pads and rotors being out? Or is it because i didnt perform ideal relearn when i had throttle issues caused by water/cleaner in the throttle body? My steering wheel feels locked as I can't turn the wheel freely or all the way on either side which is why it was garaged today until I fix it.

Thank you in advance

Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the compressor will have nothing to do with the brakes. It seems that there might be two problems, one is your front pads and or discs may need to be checked/replaced. the other issue regarding the battery light/ ac compressor seem to stem from an electrical problem. Check the fuse box. It could also be a belt slipping...it is highly unusual for 3 unrelated components to go bad simultaneously (power steering, AC compressor, brakes)

Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 PM
I thought it was a coincidence that all 3 went out at the same time but just wanted to make sure. i will check tonight when i get home and provide feedback.

Thank you in advance for our help

Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 194 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up Maybe this will help

The brake problem is due to your rotors being warped. They need to be turned and new pads put on. I don't recommend using the same pads after the rotors are turned even if they are new. Second their are two belts one runs the ac compressor the other runs the alternator and other things if these belts break everything they run will not operate I.e. the ac compressor, the alternator, water pump and whatever else they run. Pop your hood these two belts are located on the front of the engine. If they have never been replaced do so the belts are cheap and you can replace them yourself.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Awesome. Thank you Mr. Brooks. Any suggestions on the power steering issue?

Thank you in advance for your help

Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Thumbs up Helpful hints

Regarding the two belts I mentioned one is wide one is skinny the wide belt I believe runs the power steering as well but also check your power steering level. Here's an easy way to change your power steering fluid. Go to Walmart buy a big turkey baster. Squeeze the end of the turkey baster place it in the power steering reservoir the turkey baster is going to draw the old power steering fluid from the reservoir squeeze the old fluid into an old bottle. Once the reservoir is empty fill it with fresh power steering fluid and your done.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I checked under the hood last night after work and noticed that the belts were not spinning. Should I replace the drive belt? Something I can do myself with the right tools? I did some research and saw that it was attached to the alternator a/c compressor, water pump, idler pulley, etc. How can I check if they should also be replaced?

Thank you in advance for your time and help

Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Thumbs up Try this

First you should check the tension of the belts. They make a tool for this but usually I just use my index finger and push down on the belt not with force just a mild nudge to check its tightness. If the belts aren't spinning they maybe lose. You'll have to tighten then per the idler pulley also check the idler pulleys if they are defective the belts will never tighten.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM
If the belts are cracked, split or frayed or if they have NEVER been replaced, replace them. Something to think about also is. Overtime these belts will stretch and to the naked eye it may or may not be noticeable this too will also keep the belts from spinning at the least look into changing the belts. Both belts should run you between $60-&70 dollars or less as long as you do it yourself.