New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

to keep or not to keep? (need help)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to keep or not to keep? (need help)

Hello everyone! Im 18 and I own a 03 G35 Sedan and need help from everyone with a g and this has to be the right place. Its pretty much stock right now (all I've done is "murdered it out" with plasti dip) but im really impatient to start modifying. The problem is, I don't know if I should. Let me start off by letting you know the car has 205k miles on it, mostly freeway miles (my mom drove it to LA almost everyday) she just passed it on to me about a year ago. The latest problem it had was the sensors (cams n crank) and the drive belts. I got them both replaced this week (there went my money to start modifying once again) The body has a few bumps and scratches here and there. It also has a power steering leak and needs a new rack and pinon and struts ($$$$) now it comes down to this... I REALLY love infiniti and g's and I would not mind putting in work in my sedan, but before I do something stupid, what do you guys think? should I work on this car or sell and find me another infiniti to work on?

Ill upload more detailed photos tomorrow, when the suns out.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out!!!

Attached Thumbnails to keep or not to keep? (need help)-car.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
First off, plastidip is not a mod. Second if you love the car that much then keep it and mod it correctly. Getting help from members here will do you some good. Once your mom sees how well you've taken care of the car and added all the right mods she'll love it. Lastly, YOU ARE HENCE FORTH AND FOREVER MORE BANNED FROM PLASTIDIP.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I have on 05' with 130K on it. I plan on keeping it a long time (I have a friend with a 91 S-13 he bought new, now has 350K on it). IF you really want to keep this car. Hold off on the mods till you have a tight running chassis. By that I mean, at this point, you need to replace ALL the bushings front and back, (I'll bet the diff bushing are leaking), you need new shocks, tie rod ends and most anything that moves on the suspension replaced. Does the engine use oil? If so, how much? If you are using a quart every 1000 miles or less, you have a rebuild or replace in the future. Add it up and then decide if your desire to keep this car outweighs the price of keeping it.

PS: the "murdered out look" is so done....

Old 03-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Scraggle****: I cant take the bus... my college is 40 mins from where I live and I have to drive there every day. It would be a hassle n I cant afford the bus either

Mr. Brooks: I know its not a mod, I must of not explained my self right and F*CK really? aw man I really thought it looked good all black but in all honesty Ive been wanting to peel it out for a while... I just hate the original desert platinum color x.x

Texasscout: My mom didnt really take good care of the car when she had it... lets just say she already f*cked up her bumper and side doorxback fender on her new Q50... So the g35s engine was probably not taken care as it should have... I dont know too much about cars. I could honestly say ive really got into it a couple months ago so the murdered out look is relatively new to me... and you right I will make a list of all the things i need to get the chassis in good condition and the price of a rebuilt. If its way to much ill look into getting a 07 g35 or keep bugging my dad to let me keep his g37 (my whole family drives infinitis for some odd reason lol) thanks alot man Im glad the site has people like you n mr brooks!!!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Sounds like a plan, just for now though, check your oil EVERY fill up for at least a month till you get a good feel for oil consumption. Letting it get down below two quarts down is bad for the engine.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Lightbulb

I bought my 06 Coupe in 07, it was a lease turn in w/ less than 9k on the clock. It now has 49k on it, and I just started the mods within the last year. I wanted to enjoy the stock feel before I decided to start spending $$$$ on it. I love it and its not going anywhere any time soon. You have, (in my opinion) the best built, most reliable brand car on the road. However, you should make sure that you feel the same way about your car as I feel about mine, or no matter what you do to it, you will still get bored with it, and that will be a waste of Benjamin's!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Another thing you can do is go to local meets and talk to other owners that have a passion for these cars. Their you'll get to see first hand in the flesh what a properly modded "G" looks like And you can get some pointers. Who knows, with the right mods your dad may ask to borrow your car.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I vote that you keep it. First of all you are very blessed that your mother passed the vehicle down to you. Show her you are great full and keep it, but furthermore take care of it. It's paid for so just put your money into fixing it up in time. If you learn now that all good things come in time it will help, you are 18 and money doesn't grow on trees. You will be in the same boat if you sell it, you will buy another car and have no money to mod it. Just relax, enjoy your sedan and mod it when you can. It's a beautiful car especially for a young man, I'm 28 and still love mine! I plan to keep mine until the wheels fall off. Oh, And peel off the plastidip, then wax the car, the color isn't that bad, your luxury car looks like a honda currently.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:15 AM
Sikki: You're absolutely right, it does runs pretty good for being at 200K! it is a great car.

Mr.Brooks: Thats a great idea! I recently followed a couple socal infiniti instragam accounts and they have meets that I will definitely be attending. (ill make sure to take off the plasti dip before I go) haha

1GSDN: Your reply totally got to me man. my mom really loves this car and nothing will make me happier than seeing her happy and taking care of her car will do that. She even gets happy when she sees me spending hours cleaning it haha

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!! I didnt expect to get this much feedback and I am extremely grateful. Seems like im going to be keeping the car. Like Texasscout told me to do; I made a list of what the car needs. Roughly 3k. I will definitely find a way to come up with this in the upcoming months! Ill make sure to keep you guys updated when i start the transformation. I really cant thank you enough!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.