New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Hi, I'm new. Could someone tell me what kind of car I have?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Hi, I'm new. Could someone tell me what kind of car I have?

First off, I'm new to the forum, hello everyone, happy holidays, it's great to be here, thanks for letting me in, yada yada yada. I just bought a 2006 6MT coupe and figured I'd better get on the information train so here I am. Infiniti/ Nissan are somewhat new territory for me, excluding my very first car: a 1989 Nissan Sentra coupe my sister handed down to me after not changing the oil for the entire 5 years she owned it. I've been a BMW guy for a long time. I kept a '99 (E36) M3 coupe pretty flawless for nearly 10 years & was a frequent user on Bimmerforums. There's not much about BMW that I don't know, but I'm trying to get focused on learning the ins & outs of my newest car, which I love by the way.

Here's the deal- I know my G35 is the "Sport" model, I checked via the VIN # and the orange stitching on the steering wheel. However, it seems most people point to two other indicators of the Sport package: a slightly different bumper with a lip, and different sideskirts. Oddly, mine doesn't have the bumper lip and though it does have sideskirts, I can't determine if they are the same as other G35 Sport's. Adding to my confusion is reading about the "Aero" package, a seemingly separate bundle that includes the sportier bumper, sideskirts and that heinous rear spoiler that looks like they stole the mold from Subaru's 2002 Impreza factory, and which I'm so grateful mine doesn't have. So, can a 06-07 6MT G35 Coupe Sport come with the non-lip bumper if it wasn't also ordered with the "Aero" package? Or should every Sport model come with it, period, and I have something of an anomaly car? This sort of thing does happen, in my car audio work experience I've seen cars with top-end factory engine/ trim packages mismatched to parts from a lower model; this happens when dealerships "borrow" sport trim from a top-end model & slap it on a base model for a quick $2000 appearance upgrade, replacing the parts taken from the higher-end car with base-model trim. Since there's no real accounting for "exterior downgrading" when you're selling a new car, and 99.9% of buyers won't know the difference, it's actually a great way for car dealers to score a couple grand here & there. I'm just curious if that's the case. Oh and also if someone can definitively tell me which sideskirts I have- photos below. Thank you if you're still reading!

Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 PM
Welcome to the forums, I have the same car. Yours looks really good.
Not sure if this is what you were reading or if it'll help but it outligns the differences http://infinitihelp.com/models/2006/g35_coupe/specifications.php

The following users liked this post:
AndyBones (12-17-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 11:48 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Aero package is a separate deal. Your car could be sport, but not have the sport bumper and sides.

don't sweat it man. Enjoy the car and don't bother your self with what package it is.

Car looks nice, wheels look nice, headlights are painted. What more could you ask for?

what is the millage and how much you paid for it?

Old 12-15-2015, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by JOKER
Aero package is a separate deal. Your car could be sport, but not have the sport bumper and sides.

don't sweat it man. Enjoy the car and don't bother your self with what package it is.

Car looks nice, wheels look nice, headlights are painted. What more could you ask for?

what is the millage and how much you paid for it?
Why thank you! I am really pleased with it, just bought it 2 weeks ago for $10,500, and 81K on the OD which from all the shopping I did seemed a very, very good deal. It is extremely clean (as is the title) and has some really impressive suspension mods, everything down to the control arms, tie rods, (rubber) bushings, Tein coilovers, tower braces, also Wilwood big brakes, steel braided lines, and nearly new Nitto tires. The motor is 100% stock. Some of you will want to slap me for this (I know I do) but the day I bought it I let a lady friend drive it, and she left the parking brake on for a good quarter mile, flooring it up and down thru the gears... It blew out the tranny's master cylinder- giant mushroom cloud. Well, she paid the $300 for a new one & it's all good now. Anyhow, nice to be here & thanks to everyone for replying now or later! All information is appreciated. Cheers!

Old 12-15-2015, 12:22 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
The aero package was for 03/4 cars and came with underbody diffusers and the famous (or infamous) 'ironing board' spoiler (which I happen to like). The aero package sort of 'became' the sport package in 06/7 (the 05 was kind of a bastard love child of the early and later models), and included the orange stitching, stiffer shocks and the revup motor. I'm pretty certain that you're correct in the assumption that your car *should* have the sport skirts, spoiler (it wouldn't be the ironing board tho, but a slightly different 'over trunk only' version) and sport bumper, of which yours has none of the 3.

Now, those parts are worth money in this world, so the previous owner may have tried to make a few bucks by doing a cash+trade before it was sold. Judging by the uniformity of your paint tho, it looks like your car came with the nonsport body. I'm pretty interested in your situation too. Most of our cars by now, if owned by an enthusiest have been messed with in terms of interchanging body parts, so it could be a number of things. For instance, I have an 04 with 06 lights and bumper, but 04 spoiler, tail lights and side skirts.

Jerseytaylor, what do you know about this?

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 12-15-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:06 AM
I was dead-set on buying a G35 coupe with a manual 6, so during my two months of shopping I saw a lot of what you're talking about- 03's to '05's fitted with the '06+ HID projectors, later body trim and a WHOLE lot of mods ranging from tasteful & elegant to conspicuous and well, a bit tacky. Sooo many people have swapped out the Infiniti/ G35 badges for Nissan and "Skyline" or 350GT logos... I avoided those ones but had found a few good deals on them, simply planning to remove the JDM Nissan decor as soon as possible. Sorry to people here who have done this, I'm not hating but JDM parts & trim= just not my thing. On the same note, G35's look great in my opinion with the rear end de-badged completely. Mine is like this.

The one thing that's gonna make you go "huh?" after hearing that is this: I am seriously considering new headlights with some understated & well-crafted LED or CCFL trim in the housing. Why man, why would you want that on your fine sport-luxury coupe?? Well, a few reasons. I had put a set of ZKW super-thin Angel eyes/ HID projectors on my old M3 and they looked nothing less than jaw-dropping. The E36 coupe was meant for those. Also they had glass lenses, which is so cool, not to mention fade/ yellow-proof. I want that again. Although I have yet to find any that look truly classy, there's got to be a set out there with the perfectly arranged halos or strips made by a reputable manufacturer. I totally hate most of the ones I've seen so far.

Umm, and about the interior blue lighting, the previous owner did that. I must admit they do look kinda kool...

Oh yeah, and I'm going to re-paint those Wilwoods/ hubs in the coming days

GearJammin'
AndyBones

Old 12-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Diggin the CS rear

Old 12-15-2015, 01:38 PM
OK, so its obvious the previous owner did a lot of modding, so we'll just have to assume it's some sort of amalgamation of parts. If the VIN says its a sport, its a sport. Someone could have offered him money for the sides/front, and he may have planned on getting something different (judging by the rear bumper).

Only reason I say is cuz I went thru all that stuff and its perfectly plausible. Haha that's how I got my sport bumper.
Name:  IMG_20151013_195123.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  112.8 KB

Old 12-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-car...-coupe-ob.html

looks to be OPs car.
my question is... how did op buy with 81k on the odo and wheres the Motordyne exhaust?

Old 12-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
if this is an 06/07, your steering wheel controls should illuminate..

Old 12-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor

looks to be OPs car.
my question is... how did op buy with 81k on the odo and wheres the Motordyne exhaust?
Ah, fukc.

Looks like this guy knew what he was doing.

Also, op has tein basics, and ad claims KYB on swift springs. That's 100% the same car tho.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 12-15-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:36 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor

looks to be OPs car.
OP better save this thread cuz that right thur is fraud and is considered to be federal offence punishable by law.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Ah, fukc.

Looks like this guy knew what he was doing.

Also, op has tein basics, and ad claims KYB on swift springs. That's 100% the same car tho.
yeah the MD exhaust is on the first car being sold but clearly not on the car now with the new owner. something is up..
mods can be removed but why the mileage change..

Old 12-15-2015, 02:47 PM
OP, was this a private sale or did this car go thru some shady unscrupulous dealer?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by AndyBones
tower braces
Hi, I'm new. Could someone tell me what kind of car I have?-lpsc14k.jpg

where.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hi, I'm new. Could someone tell me what kind of car I have?