New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Been lurking, finally joining...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been lurking, finally joining...

I picked up an '03 sedan in January that needed some loving care after being owned by a busy mom that was casual with oil change intervals and loose with little kid food rules in the backseat. However, it is a good car that I hope to keep past 200k miles.

I've read for hours on these forums for fixes to various issues that I've had with the car, and I hope to add some DIYs and tips for others to benefit like I have. At this point, I've replaced most of the front end bushings, both front struts (strut mounts twice), new brakes all around, drained/filled differential, new PCV valve, and other things in addition to routine maintenance/wear items. I'm planning on a water pump + timing chain tensioner tune-up, new plugs + valve covers, partial tranny drain/fill, replacing rear shocks and a few bushings, tightening heat shields, and when I work up the courage, fix a rear main seal leak. I also have leather seat tears and a handful more interior rattles to take care of when time and funds allow.

That's what I'm up to and why I'm here. Thanks for a great resource for keeping these great and in my case, aging, cars going.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wassup dude, if your're planning on changing your valve covers I got a set I have about 120k mi. on em. Only one plug had oil inside.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:02 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Check out a vid or DIY on using a 1_7/8" holesaw to drill out the plastic retainers inside the valve cover, it's very easy and then you only need to spend $20 to buy new spark plug tube seals.

The following users liked this post:
fisherking (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the offer to buy your covers, CHIEN, but I'm trying to keep my maintenance costs down as much as possible, so I'll be looking into the DIYs that Cleric recommended. I appreciate all the helpful members and great information on these boards.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.