Go Back  G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion > G35Driver.com > New Members Check In
Reload this Page >

New member: Low mileage '05 G35 Coupe, long time Nissan guru...

New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New member: Low mileage '05 G35 Coupe, long time Nissan guru...

Old 03-25-2019, 01:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Coupe
Cool New member: Low mileage '05 G35 Coupe, long time Nissan guru...

Getting this car was a long journey, so please forgive the equally long introduction post!

So I'm a Nissan-fan going way back, having owned multiple Z32s (90 TT/91 2+2), a Pathfinder ('88) and most recently an '02 Maxima (now replaced by the G). As you can see, I'm not much of a new car guy, but I was a fan of the '03 G35 the moment they went on sale. Just before that (in early '02), I'd been closely following the 350Z development, hanging around Nissan HQ (before the relocation to TN) and even writing articles about the upcoming "Return of the Z". Despite all the hoopla over the new Z-car, I'd always secretly preferred the looks of the G. Something about the cleaner lines, that big rear end and that tail-light/spoiler combo just did it for me, and still does. So when it came time to finally replace the Maxima, the only thing I was looking for was a V35 coupe.

Fast forward to last month when I stumbled onto a Craigslist ad with a very low mileage (56k) Diamond Graphite Metallic '05 with all the options. Moonroof, Premium Pkg A (+NAV), Aero and the 19" Forged Rays. It had been listed for a while already but on further checking I found out why, it had two pretty big red flags. The first was a current owner that only had it for three months but the second, far more serious issue, was a "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE" claim on the Carfax. Normally I'd run from this, but this guy was only the second owner and the mileage was so low that I had to at least check it out and drive it. Worst case, I waste an afternoon. Best case, the car is immaculate and requires further investigation. As you can probably guess, the car was incredibly clean (more-so than the bad CL pics showed) and the owner had all the right answers when I grilled him on the quick re-sale/history. Fortunately, he was short on time and couldn't even meet again until the following weekend, giving me ample time to research and think this through. I told him I'd be happy to meet him the following weekend at a local mechanic of my choosing where I'd pay for a basic pre-purchase inspection and we'd go from there.

My expectations were still low at this point, mostly because of the Carfax/vin check issue, but I had a week to game-plan. The first thing I did was go home to find a reputable G35 forum (hey there!) to post about my concerns. Big shout out to the "Buying/Selling" forum and those that post there, thanks for the advice and encouragement! The second was to research the title/Carfax issue. It seemed strange that the "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE" claim was showing at just 12 miles on the odometer, so that's where I started. I called the original dealer after finding the window sticker/sales booklet in the trunk but they had closed down, so I called the next closest one and asked to speak to their DMV clerk who handles this stuff (every dealer has one). I explained my situation to this wonderful lady who told me not to worry and that this was somewhat common. What sometimes happens is a data entry/paperwork mistake when the title is transferred to the lien-holder, usually with the mileage being left off or something being entered incorrectly. What would normally be a big issue if it was the second, third or fourth transfer turns out to be a minor one when the car is brand new because there's no reason to tamper with the odometer. Additionally, all the following Carfax maintenance records with mileages match perfectly, showing a steady increase from 2004-2019. Even better, she told me this is one of the few things you can fix by working with Carfax directly, which I later did with her help. It took a few weeks to update but Carfax now comes up totally green and at 12 miles it shows "A Not Actual Mileage title was issued to this vehicle in error. Title or registered as personal vehicle". No more big, scary odometer warning!

At this point, excitement is starting to creep in but the car hasn't been fully inspected yet and the guy could always turn around and sell it out from underneath me. I spend the rest of the week finding a few local shops that know Infinitis and gently reminding the seller every few days that I was still very interested and ready to make a reasonable offer pending inspection. That day comes and the car's only three issues were a leaking lower ball joint bushing, new wiper blades needed and the passenger side HID bulb was out. In other words, practically nothing. I had to have this car. Right color, right options and even the year I wanted with the MP3 option and upgraded interior. While I didn't give him what he was asking for, I did make the guy a pretty reasonable deal considering the circumstances of his quick re-sale and the Carfax issue (later a non-issue). Was it more than I expected to pay when I started looking for G35s? Yes. Was it totally worth every penny and was I smiling when I handed over the cashier's check? You bet your *** it was!

So that, my new friends, was how I scored the slick G-ride that I've always wanted. My name is Ryan, nice to meet you!

The following users liked this post:
G35fromPA (04-03-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:00 AM
Coupe
A few followup items. First, I figured I should post the before/after of the Carfax since it may have been a bit confusing. I sure wasn't aware that it was possible to fix a 14-year old entry on a Carfax but hey, you're never too old to learn something new!

Second, I've got a few minor things planned for the car. One part basic upgrades, one part minor touch-up to reduce the wear and tear of 14 years on LA roads (even with the low mileage). I've got a JWT intake w/Stillen tube and Motordyne 5/16ths plenum spacer on the way from Coz @ ConceptZPerformance (who oddly enough used to sell me parts back in my Z32 days). Oh and some clear corners because hey, why not? I figure I'll do the 60k service at the same time and replace the lower control arm (or ball joint at least). Maybe throw on some stickier tires too.

Next step is addressing the wheels. The two front 19x8" Rays have some serious black splotching which I found out later is not removable due to the under coating being black and the silver paint on top. I guess someone sprayed some acidic/damaging wheel cleaner on there and let it eat through, so I figure it'll be $250-$300 to refinish them or maybe find some used ones for ~$200/ea. From there, I'll probably pull the few dents that it has (two minor ones but they are right on the driver's side so my eyes go right to them every day) and touch up a bit of curb rash on the front passenger bumper.

Last but not least, I wanted to mention three items that I was warned about from other G owners in my research that proved to be 100% accurate. 1) Yes, that damn seat bolster is terrible and even on my low mileage car is ripped to shreds. In fact, maybe I'll look into re-bolstering it with an upholstery shop. 2) Yes, the seatbelt and seatbelt arm are a PITA. The arm constantly hits things and the belt rarely retracts properly, if ever. And 3) Yes, the door hinges on these cars suck. Even @ 56k miles my doors wont stay open if there's even the slightest angle to the car. All that said, I absolutely love everything else about it and if these are the biggest issues I have, consider me a happy camper!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 coupe black on black with automatic
Welcome

Always a sucker for stories with happy endings =) Congrats on the G, that is a good looking ride. Welcome to the forums!

Charlie

SeedyROM (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 179 Likes on 159 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Re: seat issue -- there is a TSB for seat frame modifications that basically file off a couple of plastic bits that apparently are the source of the stresses that lead to the ripping. You'll want to do that before re-upholstering.

Edit: oh yeah, welcome!

SeedyROM (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Coupe
Originally Posted by Lexpd1145 View Post
Always a sucker for stories with happy endings =) Congrats on the G, that is a good looking ride. Welcome to the forums!
Charlie
Thanks!

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN View Post
Re: seat issue -- there is a TSB for seat frame modifications that basically file off a couple of plastic bits that apparently are the source of the stresses that lead to the ripping. You'll want to do that before re-upholstering.

Edit: oh yeah, welcome!
Yep, I had a good chuckle when I saw that was the main TSB for these cars. I'm just glad they addressed it! I'll definitely have that resolved before I have them reupholster it. Thanks for making sure.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
G35 Sport Sedan 5AT
Damn nice G there. Welcome!

SeedyROM (03-26-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 02:39 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey Seedy, though I moved on from my G35 a couple of years ago, I still lurk here occasionally and I recall you from the days on TwinTurbo.net! I was "PA_Z" and had a 1992 Z32 NA slicktop that I sold in 2004 when I bought my G35. My G was also a Diamond Graphite coupe, but it was a 2004 6MT. I traded the G in when I bought my current car, a 2012 M3, and it had only 68K miles on it. Great car.

Good to see you staying the Nissan family, and great pickup! Looks like a gorgeous example of a well cared for G. Enjoy it!

SeedyROM (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Coupe
Originally Posted by G35fromPA View Post
Hey Seedy, though I moved on from my G35 a couple of years ago, I still lurk here occasionally and I recall you from the days on TwinTurbo.net! I was "PA_Z" and had a 1992 Z32 NA slicktop that I sold in 2004 when I bought my G35. My G was also a Diamond Graphite coupe, but it was a 2004 6MT. I traded the G in when I bought my current car, a 2012 M3, and it had only 68K miles on it. Great car.

Good to see you staying the Nissan family, and great pickup! Looks like a gorgeous example of a well cared for G. Enjoy it!
Hey dude, I was wondering if I'd run into any of the old TT.net folks in here. Great to hear from ya! Thanks for the kind words and congrats on that M3 find, those are some fantastic cars.