NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Reckless Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reckless Driving

I just got a reckless driving ticket in VA. I drove my dad home, and on the way home, there was this crazy 18 truck driver trying to flash his light, ran side by side with me, passed and cut me. I think he got mad because of xenon light so bright. But I didn't even have the high beam on. I prove it to him when he keep flashing his high beam. I turned on my high beam, to show him that I didn't turn on my high beam. It was kinda scary to run side by side with him. So my dad told me to speed past him, and we gonna get to a big gas station ahead where there are light and a lot of people (we were on highway at 10pm). So I pass him and keep the speed about 80m/h (Speed limit is 55m/h). After pass the truck awhile, I slow down around 70m/h, cuz my dad is in the car, and he was kinda scare. A few min later, a cop stop me a give me the ticket. Weird thing is that, he stoped me exactly infront the big gas station that we wanted to stop, so the truck can just pass us. Another weird thing was that the truck was pull over to that gas station too. We were pull over on the other side of the gas station. I pointed at the truck, and told the police what happen. He is said nicely that, he understand that it is scary to run side by side with the truck, but 8m/h is kinda fast. So just go to court and explain to the judge what I just said, hopefully the judge will drop down to a normal speeding ticket. I haven't got speeding ticket for 4 years.

Anybody, experience with reckless driving ticket, please give me advice. Should I get a lawyer? or what can I do at the court. I am afraid that they will suspense my license.

Thank in advance,

RATMAN

Old 02-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Re: Reckless Driving

Where in VA were you?

Old 02-02-2004, 05:02 PM
cSc

ratman--

I've gotten 2 reckless driving tickets. Both because I was speeding 20+ over the limit. (Heck, it's not my fault the car does better mpg @ 80mph

Anyways, both times, I went striaght to court and they just reduced it to improper driving and speeding.

The first one was on the GW Parkway and that required me going to US District Court in Alexandria. There, they have a bunch of public defenders that will just tell you the'll just drop the reckless and charge you with speeding as a plea bargain.

The other, I got on Route 66, so in Fairfax county court, I complained that the cop came up behind me and was tailing me and then he told me he was pacing me even though I was following a bunch of cars in front of me. (That was BS in my opinion, but who are the judges going to believe, the cops or me?)

Anyways, they just reduced that to Improper Driving. So instead of a 6-point violation in VA, it's a 3-point violation.

One big suggestion: If you have a lot of points, take one of those driver improvement courses. A few friends have done that to 1. reduce their insurance and 2. reduce their points on their record.

If I recall, you can also get a copy of your driving record online to see how many points you have. At least for Virginia drivers...

HTH

--cSc

--
2003 G35c 6MT | CB/Graphite | Premium | Aero | Tinted Windows | Aluminum Pedals

Old 02-02-2004, 08:54 PM

if u were in fairfax or alexandria counties when u got the ticket GET A LAWYER!! i've been pulled over for 5 reckless driving tickets in fairfax and prince william counties and gave been convicted of 2. just because of my lawyer i still have a license and my insurance could be worse. u can take the class to have the points reduced but in fairfax u can only take it once every other year. most courts in va wont even listen to ur defense without a lawyer especially if u have points. spending the extra money for the lawyer saves u big time when it comes to higher insurance rates and even worse, a suspended license.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:22 AM

I am from NOVA. I drove my dad back to Charlotesville.

RATMAN

Old 02-03-2004, 12:28 AM

Thank you guys, for all the response. I did took a driving course about 4 years ago too. Since then, I haven't got any ticket. The question is, if I go to court the b4 see the judge, they give me the deal like drop it down to normal speeding ticket. SHould I take it? or should I explain to the judge about the situation with crazy truck driver. My dad will go to court with me to be the witness. Why do they want to give you the deal to plea guity and drop the speed limit down b4 you go to the judge, you guys know the reason why?
Anyway, Court is on MARCH. Will let you guys know the out coome.
Thank a lot guys,
RATMAN

Old 02-03-2004, 09:08 PM

I'm with huducks. Get a lawyer. UN-fairfax is notorious for being a PITA. Without a lawyer you'll get screwed. If you need a recommendation for a good attorney, PM me.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:20 PM

try to take the driving class before your court date to help with the points. if not a lawyer can help you to push the hearing to a later date. also if ur licensed in fairfax county, every year without any tickets on ur license is one good point. u can always check with the va dmv on how many points u have. if u do it online its fast but they charge u like $5. good luck.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:04 PM
cSc

Ratman--

Maybe call the DMV and see if taking a driving course before going to court would give you more + points. That would definitely look good for the judge if you can say you already voluntarily took a driving course vs. being ordered to do it by him.

As far as why they did the plea bargain, I think half the people pulled over were given reckless driving tickets. Everyone from grandmom to young kids, so I think they realize the cop was just writing up as many tickets as he could *shrug*. The same cop pulled over my GF on the GW Parkway and wrote her up for reckless. She barely speeds and doesn't even pass ppl, so I knew this was BS... He was just being an a-hole...

Again, both reckless tickets I just contested myself and didn't use a lawyer. I just checked my record on the DMV website and i'm down to -2 points now No tickets in the past 2 years... *knock on wood*

--cSc

--
2003 G35c 6MT | CB/Graphite | Premium | Aero | Tinted Windows | Aluminum Pedals