New York Visit over Thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Alumni****
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Visit over Thanksgiving

Hey guys/girls,

I am planning to go to New York from Sunday the 23rd through Friday the 28th.

Not sure where we are going to stay yet, but I was thinking the W New York (yes, I know there are 4 of them).

Either way, this is my fiance and my first time visiting, so I was wondering if someone could help me by listing a few must places we must visit and must eat at.

Also, do you think it's necessary to rent a car at all?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Thanks,
David

Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 AM
No car necessary, but you should definitely get some chicken & rice on 53rd and 6th after having a few drinks

Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Former Sponsor

IMO a must visit is the statue of liberty, ground zero, and central park. See if you can get late night tickets (would be a fun experience). For food, you must try a new york city hot dog. As a matter of fact, try all of the street vendors. Be sure to also have a slice of nyc pizza, and if you want to go somewhere really really good for dinner.. go to fig and olive in the meat packing district. A+++ That area is also sworming with people and night life.

Oh, and take cabs.. its all part of the experience.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Bad Toro
Welcome to the Big Apple!

Bring some heavy coats

Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Alumni****
Thanks guys for your tips. I definitely will put the Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, and Central Park on my list.

Is Rockefeller Center a must visit too?

I have heard the Italian food over there is awesome too.

And yes, we already got our winter coats.

Got any more tips?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OOOOA3
Thanks guys for your tips. I definitely will put the Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, and Central Park on my list.

Is Rockefeller Center a must visit too?

I have heard the Italian food over there is awesome too.

And yes, we already got our winter coats.

Got any more tips?
You know, i was gonna mention Rockefeller center as it is beautifull but youll have plenty to see in the other locations. Go check out rockefeller if you can, also the empire state building is right there so you can go upto the observation deck too. While your in central park, the guggenheim museum is near by and one of my favorites.. def go see a NYC museum if you can.. not sure how long your gonna be in town but there is soooo much to do. The only other thing i can say is bring lots of money... lots of money.. Manhattan is very very expensive but the experience will be well worth it. You could also check out a show/play while your in town.. not sure if thats yoru thing or not but the phantom of the opera has been running for like 20 years and is part of the city. Let me know if you haev any other questions.. other than that. Enjoy your trip.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Bad Toro
- Empire State Building
- The Rock (GE Building) - I prefer the observatory on the GE building (over the Empire State) because you get to see the Empire State Building from up above, as well as a panoramic view of Central Park
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Time Square
- With regards to Central Park - make sure to take the lady on a horse and carriage trip
- Radio City Hall
- Broadway
- Battery Park

Old 11-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SPEEED
- Empire State Building
- The Rock (GE Building) - I prefer the observatory on the GE building (over the Empire State) because you get to see the Empire State Building from up above, as well as a panoramic view of Central Park
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Time Square
- With regards to Central Park - make sure to take the lady on a horse and carriage trip
- Radio City Hall
- Broadway
- Battery Park

:+1:

cant believe i forgot time squarte.. duh!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Alumni****
Thanks again guys for your suggestions. I really do appreciate it. I got a couple co-workers and friends feeding me ideas, but there were some they missed that you guys pointed out.

I will be there from Sunday the 23rd til Friday the 28th, so 5 nights. Hopefully that's enough to enjoy ourselves. And yes, I do know I must bring mucho mucho bucks...

Old 11-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I loved Nobu... The food was awesome... Trying to get in sucked!

Old 11-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Let me know how it goes! I'm suprising my gf and taking her there for Christmas December 21-25...I'm planning on proposing up there, too

Old 11-23-2008, 02:09 PM
definatly do not take a car. parking prices are ridiculous especially around the holidays. take a cab. it might seem like the cab driver is a crazy driver and gonna kill u along with pedestrians but dont worry its normal. observation deck on the empire state building is a must on a clear night. just stay away from spanish harlem. i made the mistake of getting lost in that area... not a good experiance.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Don't forget to go to Chinatown and Little Italy for food and knock of watches and handbags.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Alumni****
Thanks for all your suggestions!

Here was our whirlwind trip in New York, broken down each day:

Sunday - Got there late and walked into a terrible Thai place that was open. We left after biting into RAW chicken, but found a decent diner right next to our hotel, the W. Not a great meal, but something to hold us over.

Monday - Walked around the city. Started at Grand Central Terminal. Walked to the Empire State Building. Went up to the top and enjoyed the views. Then we walked to the Late Show with David Letterman taping. After we lined up to get tickets, we had the Japanese place right next door, which was actually pretty good. After watching the show, which had Nicole Kidman and Kanye West on there, we walked over to this awesome Thai place in Hell's Kitchen. Met up with an old friend of my fiance and then we took our first trip on a New York subway. The system can be somewhat confusing, but we got the hang of it real fast.

Tuesday - We spent most of the day at the Met. Fiance didn't feel too good, so we didn't really go anywhere other than the Met. If you do visit there, go to their new Cafeteria downstairs. Their food there is actually good. We ate Hane Sushi in Murray Hill. Decent food, decent prices. Very nice quiet ambiance compared to the hustle and bustle of the city.

Wednesday - Went to Soho, Chinatown, and Little Italy. We had the best food we had in New York that day. For lunch, we had Ed's Lobsterbar. Their lobster roll is to die for, and their freaking New England Clam Chowder was the best I have had. The lobster roll had mounds and mounds of lobster. We also had some "steamer" clams and mussels in lobster and fennel sauce. We left very happy, but we had to have a New York pizza. That night we had planned to eat dinner with her friend, but we had to have the best pizza. Most people agreed that it was between Lombardi's and Grimaldi's, so we headed to Lombardi's. It was one of the best pizzas I have ever had. Of course we got the usual knockoff bags and then we headed over to Saint Mark's. Had dinner and then had this great dessert place, Chikalicious.

Thursday - We actually did not make it out to the parade, but I had a great Thanksgiving lunch downstairs at Icon. We then went to Central Park and had sketches done of both of us. Also, we went for a horse carriage ride around the park. We went to the skating rink as well. Then we had a great dinner at Bobby Flay's restaurant Bar Americain. A little pricey, but we enjoyed ourselves.

Friday - Flew out in the morning. Got back to San Francisco in the middle of the afternoon. In actuality SFO felt colder. I guess it's because I didn't dress up as thick than I did in NYC.

Overall, a GREAT trip. Manhattan is definitely not a cheap place to live, but a great place to visit. New York must have some of the best food I have ever had.

Anyhow, I really do appreciate all of your suggestions. Four full days was not enough to fully experience everything in the city. I definitely want to come back and visit the Statue and Ground Zero. I am very disappointed we didn't get to visit either of those. I do realize why a lot of people thinks the city is so great. There is so much to do and so much to experience. Also, just as wxp-g35 pointed out, the cabs aren't that bad. People really do know how to drive crazy there. But crazy in a functional way.

I will definitely be coming back and hopefully, sooner than I think!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
there are millions of food places to always try out. i live in the suburb of NYC and can't even go to 1% of all the resturants out there or even go sight seeing