NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Tint in MA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Tint in MA

SO i just had my G35 tinted. I didn't want to go too dark so i went with 35% tint. I knew that with the factory tint it would be like 28-30% VLT.

However, i just read up that the law is 35% NET! SO that means I technically have illegal tint now.

What tint film is the darkest you can use to stay about 35% NET??

Does anyone else in MA have 35% film and do you get hassled for it?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the tint put on by a guy in Mass and he put on 35% on front and he threw the meter on it and it read 35%. As long as ur not obviously to dark, the cops will leave u alone, unless they have absolutely nothing to do.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks. I've been reading up on tint on a tint forum and they said that 35% film on 70% glass equals about 24% NET.

I'm kinda worried about tickets now. I don't have time for it. I was told in order to get 35% NET, i need to use 50% film.

So now i'm debating ripping it all off and just going 50% film all around. It will look lighter, but honestly i don't want the headaches

Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by ZDriver12
I had the tint put on by a guy in Mass and he put on 35% on front and he threw the meter on it and it read 35%. As long as ur not obviously to dark, the cops will leave u alone, unless they have absolutely nothing to do.
Then either his tint meter isn't calibrated, or the film isn't 35%.

Every trooper I know has a meter, so when they stop you for anything else they bring the meter to the car with them if they see you're tinted. It's a $250 ticket, and they COULD ticket you for each window.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by G35 Mass
It's a $250 ticket, and they COULD ticket you for each window.

Depends on who you talk to and how the law gets read up.

This is what it says in the law. If they get you PER window i guess you have a case for appealing it

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/tint_ma.html

"Violations of any provisions of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not more than two hundred and fifty dollars. Upon a third or subsequent conviction of a violation of the provisions of this section, the registrar shall suspend the operator's license of a person so convicted for a period not to exceed ninety days. "

Needless to say, i'm kinda contemplating ripping off my 3 day old tint job now. I don't need these kinds of headaches. I'll get 50% installed instead

Old 01-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude i wouldnt do it.... i had "35%" put on my older car (cougar) when i lived in mass and passed inspection, never hasseled with any cops. i got 46% on and i beleive that it yielded to 42% or something like that and in my opinion its way to light... if you get pulled over then you could fight the ticket and just remove the tint then, idk i wouldnt worry about it at all

Old 01-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35 Mass
Then either his tint meter isn't calibrated, or the film isn't 35%.

Every trooper I know has a meter, so when they stop you for anything else they bring the meter to the car with them if they see you're tinted. It's a $250 ticket, and they COULD ticket you for each window.

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5

This is what it says in the law. If they get you PER window i guess you have a case for appealing it

"Violations of any provisions of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not more than two hundred and fifty dollars. Upon a third or subsequent conviction of a violation of the provisions of this section, the registrar shall suspend the operator's license of a person so convicted for a period not to exceed ninety days. "

Needless to say, i'm kinda contemplating ripping off my 3 day old tint job now. I don't need these kinds of headaches. I'll get 50% installed instead

Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
They can actually fine you $250 per window. I have 35% tints, but because I have a light interior, it doesn't seem too bad. Cars with darker interior makes the tint stand out more.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Brian at Tint King applied Huper Optik ceramics on my G at 35%.
He wrote on the receipt that he installed MA legal tint and I keep that slip in the glove box.
I doubt I'll ever have an issue. 35% is not dark and doesn't invoke trouble with the coppers.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Brian at Tint King applied Huper Optik ceramics on my G at 35%.
He wrote on the receipt that he installed MA legal tint and I keep that slip in the glove box.
I doubt I'll ever have an issue. 35% is not dark and doesn't invoke trouble with the coppers.
did u use the tint king in bedford ma?
because i went there, 35% ma legal. same deal
i work right down the street from that shop

Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5

dude i would leave it, its gunna cost you ~200 to get the new 50% put on, + the pain in the *** to take to old stuff off.

and a ticket is $250. run what u have now. and if u get a ticket then change it.

i have had 35% for over a year, and i have been pulled over about 7 times for various "spirited" driving acts, and they haven't bothered me about my tint at all

Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM
So you guys think i'll be fine with this??

Sorry i linked to another board. It's just convienent

http://www.mcrparts.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=18

Old 01-02-2009, 12:17 PM
u will have zero problems, unless you call the cop an *** hole as he is writing you a speeding ticket ( i have done it, they get kinda grumpy)

Old 01-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
did u use the tint king in bedford ma?
because i went there, 35% ma legal. same deal
i work right down the street from that shop
He's in Bellrica... he's just one shop. Not a chain.
Only place in MA that does Huper Optik.
He did a great job though.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 01-02-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Got any pics of your tint job Aeson??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tint in MA