NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

How did your tires and brakes fare in all this rain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation How did your tires and brakes fare in all this rain?

Tires:
Toyo T1-S

All I can say is wow! These things are phenomenal in the wet. Never did I run into a traction problem. Even while driving aggressively, never did they give me a hint of panic. Slip light stayed off. They out-performed my old Pilot Sports by leaps and bounds. Under similar conditions and similar driving habits, I would always be on edge due to the tail coming out. I'd see the slip light often. Not to say they were poor, but it's to give an idea of how superb the Toyos are in the wet.

Brakes:
Hawk HPS

These brakes SUCK!!! Holy crap I almost died a couple of times with them. They are fine in regular rain, but this onslaught of rain caused them to fail several times. I'd press down and get zero response. So panic would ensue I would force them down all the way... only then did I begin to stop... ever so slowly. This happened time and time again. Once I traveled in some dry areas, the brakes were fine. After talking to another owner, I found out they had the similar results with these pads in the wet. They may not dust a lot, but I won't be using these pads again when the time comes to swap them.

I've driven in similar conditions over the years I've had the G and the OEM brembo pads were superb in the wet. As are the Hawk HP+ pads.

What about the rest of you? How did your experience go? Even if you are stock, post up since there are so many different configurations between the years/trims.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT RAIN????? Are you seeing things!!!

Puff I am so close to suicidal after like 8-9 days of rain it's not even funny!

Anyway - Yes same wheels and tires as you and I do like the Toyos. Keep in mind that these wheels are just a lil wider then stock so that should help traction! LOL

IN regards to brakes, I didn't find the same problem you had with my Project Mu. So far they have been excellent and I would reco them!

Supposedly, that big yellow thing may show it's face tomorrow, so we shall see! My G needs a nice wash so if I se a hint of sun, the hose is coming out!

Old 10-14-2005, 07:51 PM
What big yellow thing? The sun? What's that?

Old 10-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Originally Posted by Diesel1
Keep in mind that these wheels are just a lil wider then stock so that should help traction! LOL
True, but I've always been under the impression that in slick conditions, you are better off with a thinner setup?

Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 PM
G SQUAD
Couldn't be better with my stock 17" setup

Old 10-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Avon Tech M550s. Unbeliveable wet traction, very impressive. The stock Potenza RE92A's were a death trap in the rain. I cant even believe that they are legally allowed to sell those.

Its supposed to NOT rain tomorow. I cant wait to go for a ride. I forgot what a dry road with sunny weather even looks like.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Good thread. I was wondering the same exact thing when it came to wet performance. I have Dunlop Direzza 101s? and they were decent in the rain. I saw the slip light come on twice when I took off at the light but that was about it...I'd still prefer if I had some tires where normal driving would feel 99% confident though. I read the BF KDW2s were very good in the rain as well...I wonder how they perform versus the Toyos...

Old 10-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by afr0puff
True, but I've always been under the impression that in slick conditions, you are better off with a thinner setup?
'Puff, I believe that has more to do in the snow as opposed to the rain.

No probs in the rain with my stocks, it's been parked for over a week with all this liquid falling... LOL but the rotars got rust all over them.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine are excellent... oh wait.. i dont drive my car anywhere

Old 10-15-2005, 08:27 AM
My car is very well.. Sitting for the past 2 weeks that is. lol..

Old 10-15-2005, 01:54 PM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by afr0puff
These brakes SUCK!!! Holy crap I almost died a couple of times with them. They are fine in regular rain, but this onslaught of rain caused them to fail several times. I'd press down and get zero response. So panic would ensue I would force them down all the way... only then did I begin to stop... ever so slowly. This happened time and time again. Once I traveled in some dry areas, the brakes were fine. After talking to another owner, I found out they had the similar results with these pads in the wet. They may not dust a lot, but I won't be using these pads again when the time comes to swap them.
I have the exact same problem with my project MU B-force pads!! Last saturday night I had to use my e-brake to stop myself from rear ending someone. I press the brake down and its almost like a force that doesnt allow me to push until I really slam it down, or like you said I dont get any response. I wonder what the hell causes this...

Old 10-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35
I have the exact same problem with my project MU B-force pads!! Last saturday night I had to use my e-brake to stop myself from rear ending someone. I press the brake down and its almost like a force that doesnt allow me to push until I really slam it down, or like you said I dont get any response. I wonder what the hell causes this...
I am going to have to guess that the pads you guys are using are for more "heavy" use which requires a higher temp for them to brake correctly. I will go out on a limb and guess that the lower ambient temps and the rain kept the rotors too cool. Did you guys notice the loss in braking after cruising on a hwy (not really using the brakes) and then coming to a stop or were you in stop n go traffic (brakes would be hotter)?

I thought about that when I got my pads which is why I went with the NS from Project Mu instead of teh BForce. The BForce works better at slightly higher temps then stock vs the NS which works as well in the stock temp rating.

Old 10-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35

The material of the pads. Stick to the better stuff or atleast OEM.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
I think I'm gonna go with Nismo pads next to give those a shot.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:22 AM
This rain stinks.
I gotta be careful with the CAI...Maybe I'm just overly paranoid about puddles.

Can't wait for the sunshine to do some nice driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How did your tires and brakes fare in all this rain?