NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Philly/S Jersey Meet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Philly/S Jersey Meet?

I think there is too much heat on Delaware Ave--and wouldn't wanna risk a hassle, especially given the whack nut in a new RX8 who went airborn from driving so fast and killed one person and critically injured another in an oncoming Audi last weekend.

Also, the park is green, has more parking area options. I'm gonna scout out specific places in the park this weekend and see if there's a good size one with minimal traffic near a picnic area along the Schuykill on Kelly Drive (up a ways from the Boathouses).

As for dates, how is Sunday, Sept. 28, 3 p.m. until ??? for everyone? Once we get a date settled, we can decide on food. We all brought great food to the NJ/NY meet at the Palisades in August.

Dreams garnet fire/graphite leather 6MT 2003.5 premium/aero/winter hyperground kit

Old 09-12-2003, 08:29 AM

Thats a fine date with me. Saturday any week is good too.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:57 PM

I'm Philly born & raised (West Philly to be exact). But the east part of Fairmount Park could be trouble for some. It's directly adjacent to North Philly, which is, of course, one of the roughest ghetto areas in the city. It's not an area for punks.

We all know what kind of attention the G attracts. But even assuming no true thugs come into the park to mess with people, if anyone gets lost and strays into their neighborhood while trying to find the right park area, they could seriously end up getting jacked. So they better have good directions.

I also agree Delaware Avenue is not the best spot. There's lots of nightlife and excitement happening there, but no good "central" area for a meet. The Cops would definitely hassle a load of Gs just hanging out on the street.

IMO, the West Fairmount Park area would be MUCH better than the East side, like around Convention Hall, which is just west and adjacent to the southern end of the West River Drive. (Plus, there's a Police barracks attached to Convertion Hall, so less chance of any real trouble jumpin' off there). Or, the area just up above the Mann Music Center could be good. Lots of good picnic areas and parking space there.

Or, go for an area just outside the city center, like Valley Forge Park. I was there earlier in the Summer hanging out and taking pics of my G, and there was a meet of the local chapter of the Chrysler PT Cruiser's Owner's Club taking place there that day. Looked like a great place for a meet!

<font color=blue>2003 G35 Coupe 6MT - diamond graphite / graphite leather - premium - nav</font color=blue>

Old 09-15-2003, 08:39 AM

Valley F would be great but a little further for NJ folks.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:30 AM

Well, as a Philly resident for almost 30 years, things can be said about anywhere in Fairmount park. West Philly is pretty nasty, too. Other problem is that West River drive is closed on weekends and putting people on the Surekill Distressway is not very nice because it's always jammed and nasty.

Valley Forge is a long way for NJ folk and again, it puts people on the Surekill or the Tpk.

Another alternative out of the city is Ft. Washington State park, which is gorgeous, does not get a lot of traffic or people, and has really nice facilities. But it would be as much of a hike for S. NJ people as Valley Forge, but less traffic than getting to Valley Forge.

Dreams garnet fire/graphite leather 6MT 2003.5 premium/aero/winter hyperground kit

Old 09-15-2003, 04:44 PM

How about the Poconos or Jersey shore? Since people are coming from various directions, small groups could meet and then drive to the final derstination. Driving distance shouldn't be an issue... G35 owners should be looking for a reason to drive : )

Old 09-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously, the location should provide for ample parking/showcasing of our rides. To that end, the idea of the park is a great idea. Fairmount Park may prove to be quite busy on a perfect weather weekend. Valley Forge and Fort Washington Parks are excellent choices too. And, despite the Surekill Distressway being what it is for 30+ years....hey, Valley Forge or Ft Washington is not that much more of a trouble...IMHO.

'03 G35 C Prem Pkg, Navi, Aero, Performance Wheel & Tire Pkg

Old 09-15-2003, 09:40 PM

Yes, I grew up in West Philly, but I also went to High School in and have had family in North Philly, so I know both. And during my college years, we threw many public events up in the park. (And not to "one-up" you, but I've been here over 40 years, myself. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]) So I think I know the park a little bit also.

There is a discernable difference between the "atmosphere" of the 2 sides of the park, if you're looking up away from the river. If you can stay on the river, fine, it's all good. But your earlier post said you wanted to look up away from the river. If so, I'd definitely go West.

Plus, your West side park is already more accustomed to hosting large public events, like circuses, concerts, picnics. It's more wide open, and there's usually more of a regular police patrol presence on the West side. Many East park areas tend to be more secluded and trickier to navigate in and out of. Therefore you have to be kinda park saavy to know which areas to avoid up there, or you can more easily run into elements you won't want to deal with.

As for directions, the West side can still be easily accessible coming from NJ, and you don't need West River Drive or Schuykill access. Basically, once in Center City, take your standard route to the Art Museum as a waypoint. But instead of going up either River Drive, you just hit the Spring Garden bridge at the Art Museum circle and up 33rd and 34th Sts. right past the Zoo to get there. I'm sure many South NJ residents already know the way to the Zoo. So they can go the same way, but just continue further up 34th street and you run right into the Memorial Hall area (I mistakenly said Convention Hall before). Go further past that a bit more, and you easily hit the Mann Music Center area. These are large, easily located landmarks with lots of picnic space all around them.

As for a decent East park area, the only one I would recommend off the top of my head is the Glendenning Rock Garden area, which is only a short way up from the Boathouses (right at the base of the Girard Ave bridge). It's right down on Kelly Drive, so it's very easy to access. But if a ton of people show up, it could get more challenged for parking room than the other areas. If you can find other comfortable areas in the East park you really like, then cool. I think it's easier to find them on the West side, but it's up to you ... I'm just trying to help out.

Agreed, for NJ people, Valley Forge Park is a lot farther (and I hate to recommend the Sure-kill as a primary route) which is too bad. It's a very nice area. Luckily, working in the Valley Forge/KOP area, I know many alternate routes, and never have to use the Schuykill myself, but it would probably be hard for me to turn them into good directions. I've also worked in Ft. Washington, but I can't say I know where their State Park is, but it can't be that hard to find. Ft. Washington isn't that big.

I'll see if I can think up any other areas ... maybe in Delaware? ...

<font color=blue>2003 G35 Coupe 6MT - diamond graphite / graphite leather - premium - nav</font color=blue>

Old 09-19-2003, 12:55 PM

Should we try to drum up support on fresh alloy as well?

Old 09-19-2003, 09:08 PM

Yeah, SixFive, we should post of Fresh Alloy. Would you mind doing that? Also, we should keep in mind that we can organize more meets in the future so we don't have to worry as much about finding the "ideal" place at any one time.

KoJo62 makes very good points--West side is more spacious up from the drive, and as he said it can be packed on a nice fall weekend.

Might be a better to do that one later in the fall or the spring when W. River Drive is open and there are more options for additional parking areas to access.

Ft. Washington State Park always has space even on the most gorgeous weekends and it's in a really pretty setting and a nice ride from anywhere to get there. Here's a link for it:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...asp#directions

It's easily accessible from Center City and a pretty tour to get there (Lincoln Drive to the end, turn left for 1/2 mile to Cresheim Valley Road, turn right on Cresheim Valley and go all the way to Stenton Ave., go left on Stenton and stay on Stenton for 6 miles to Joshua Road, right on Joshua for less than a mile. Park entrance on right. No fee)

The park is just 2 miles from PA TPK exit 26 for people coming from mid-Jersey area, and west or north of Phila.

How's 2:30 or 3 p.m. for a meet time? I got stuff going on earlier in the day and can't do it much earlier, plus, mid-afternoon allows people who live farther away to have a leisurely morning, and nice afternoon drive. Will still be light until 7 or so. Park is open til dark. We can bring food and picnic, play ball, whatever after admiring our rides.

Of course none of us thought about weather... We'll have to pick a rain date. A week later? Sunday October 5?

Old 09-20-2003, 12:31 PM

I think Ft. Washington State Pk, Valley Forge State Pk, Washington Crossing State Pk are good alternatives to Fairmont Pk. Can we get a voting head count to see who favors where ? (do it the democratic way -- no hanging chads, no punch cards)

felixc

Old 09-20-2003, 07:21 PM

Sooo....we're going with Sunday, 9/28 at Ft.Washington Park? Cool....with a rain date on 10/5? Nice.

What do you want me to bring (i.e. soda, cups, plates...)?

Old 09-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in Cherry Hill Area on S NJ. I'll come

'03 RED Coupe 6MT

Old 09-21-2003, 11:20 PM

Ft. Washington Park it'll be this time around. Sun Sept 28 3 p.m. Directions and food sign up is below. We need at least 10 G35 people to make it worthwhile!

From PA Tpk exit 26
Go straight after the toll booth and straight past the entrances to Rt 309 N/S--you will bear to the right. This is Pennsylvania Ave. Stay on this about 1 mile until you come to a light at a "T." This is Bethlehem Pike. Turn left onto Bethlehem Pk and go about 1 1/2 mi to Rte 73. Turn right onto Rte 73, go 1/2 mile and you will see Militia Hill Road on your left. Take this left and the park entrance is less than 1/4 mile up on the left. This is the main park road--drive it to the other end of the park (about 1 1/4 mi) to get on the one-way loop road on the left. (You will have passed by two roads to parking areas on the right on your way to the loop road on the left.)

From S. Phila and Center City:
Get to Lincoln Drive by taking either the Kelly Drive or the Schuylkill Expwy (Schuylkill (rte 76) can be accessed from 95 south of the city for anyone coming from that direction). Take Lincoln Drive to the very end at W. Allens Lane. Turn left and go about 1/4 mile to light at Cresheim Valley Drive on your right. Turn right onto Cresheim Valley and go two lights (all the way across Germantown Ave) to Stenton Ave. Turn left on Stenton. Take this to the top of the hill and stay in the left lane as you start down the hill to remain on Stenton, which forks left. Stay on Stenton (which winds through farmland) for 4 lights (about 4 miles). The 4th light is Joshua Road. Turn right. Less than a mile up on the right is the park entrance on the right. Once you enter the park, take the first right onto the 1-way loop road. The first parking area is a few hundred yards in on the right. That's where we'll meet.

From S. Jersey: Take the Ben Franklin Bridge to the Vine Street Expwy. Get off at 23rd street exit and go two blocks to Ben Franklin Parkway. Turn left and go 7 blocks toward art museum. Stay to the right of Art Museum to get onto Kelly Drive. Take Kelly Drive to Lincoln Drive. Follow directions above from Lincoln Drive.

From West of Phila area:
Take the Schuylkill to Lincoln Drive exit. Follow directions above from Lincoln Drive.
or
Take 476 (Blue Route) to Plymouth Meeting exit and get off the Plymouth Road exit. Turn right onto Plymouth Road. Go to Butler Pike. Turn left onto Butler and go about 1/2 mile to your second right (which is actually a fork to the right) onto Militia Hill Road. Take Militia Hill Road to Stenton Ave (about 1 mile) and turn right onto Stenton. Go to the first light, Joshua Road, and turn left. Park entrance is less than a mile up on your right. Once in the park, take the first right onto the 1-way loop road and first parking area.

Here's what we need to bring--bring enough for 10 people. We'll start by trying to get one person assigned for each number on the list. Then, we'll add a second person to each number on the list as needed. Please reply about what you will bring and I'll keep the list updated.

1. Soda cans, bottled water (cold)
2. Burgers and buns (thawed)
3. 1 lb. Sliced cheese, ketchup, mustard
4. Paper plates/plastic eating utensils/napkins
5. Matchlight charcoal and matches, alum foil
6. BBQ utensils to flip burgers, 2 bags ice, mustard, pickles
7. Pasta salad
8. Fruit salad
9. Potato salad
10. Dessert & chips Dreamsenoi
11. Cooler, 2 bags ice, napkins & paper towels

Also, bring frisbees, *****, gloves, etc. friends, family, etc. When you reply, please say how many people are coming so we know how much food we need. It's a great park for dogs (on leashes only), too, if you let your dog ride in your car, that is.

Cross your fingers for nice weather.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:35 PM

I'll bring 2 cases of soda, ice, and napkins.

Can I RSVP for 2? Not sure if my friend can make it....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Philly/S Jersey Meet?