Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

"We're not responsible for items left in your car"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe
"We're not responsible for items left in your car"

...or something along those lines. You usually see these signs at carwashes or machenic shops or TINTING PLACES? If something was taken from my vehicle while they had it, do I have any rights or not?

Danke

Old 01-27-2007, 11:00 PM
nope

Old 01-27-2007, 11:25 PM
what was taken and can you prove it was there?

Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 PM
what kind of insurance do you have, liability, or liability plus comp and collision. Do you own your own home or purchase renters insurance? Depending on what was taken it might be covered either under your auto policy or homeowners/renters policy.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 PM
IC Paul
if you took it to a local tint shop and you are 100 percent sure that they took something from your car. You should contact the owner or manager of the shop..

Old 01-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
When I see signs like that, it tells me they have problems with those things and don't leave anything valuable in the car.
I usually never leave valuables anyways when I can't be with my car at all times or have to leave it with them overnight, etc. Common sense in my book.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 PM
The signs are basically a technicality. It surely won't be easy to make any claim but as long as it was not an overnighter you shuold be able to recover the actual cash value of anything that was taken. But you will have to have some evidence of value and that it was actually in the car. I'd probably talk to management at the shop first and see what they would do for you. If it is a low ticket item then I would just let it go, the process will be a hassle. It's all about what you can prove. Good luck.

Trending Topics

Old 01-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Coupe
Well, here's the thing. I went to the movies last night (Friday), and i always put my ipod under the carseat or behind the passager seat. I did so last night, but forgot to take it out from the back..
Today (Saturday) i went to the tint place for them to finish my back window, and in order to get to the back, they have to move the front seats (i have a coupe). I got my car back and drove home. Then, in the evening, i remebered i had my ipod back there, and went to get it...BAM, its not there. Checked under the seats (with flashlight), armrest, glove box, trunk...nowhere.

Since Friday movies, I was away from my car twice. 1st, when went to the movies and second when i stopped by local Safeway. Reason i put ipod behind seat is so people who walk between cars cant see it (and try to get it), so i doubt someone botherd to somehow open my car door, not take cellphone and other items from cupholder area, not look in glovebox and take stuff from there, but go directly after back passager seat. So yea, tahts the story for now.

Today, on Sunday, i payed a visit to Mr. Tint on Kiely (where i got tint done) and asked them re: it. There were 2 guys there, i guess one of them was manager (but not owner) and other guy 'worked' on my car. Both said they didnt see anything (I asked them if they might ahve misplaced it somewhere or seen it, since it was in teh back and they were doing that window). But in process, they spoke Spanish (everyone working at that shop is Hispanic). I dont know what they said to each other, but i'm guessing one was asking the other re: my item. I have no way of proving it was there buy my word. Nor do i have witnesses proving i put it there, but myself. I didn't file a police report (should i?) because i don't see how i can prove any of this.

Oh, and one more thing, I HATE DAMN APPLE Inc. Whats the point of VALIDATING your ipod serial if it doesnt do anything. I wanted to call them and mark it as 'stolen' or something.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 PM
looks like your sol

Old 01-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
One of my professors is a lawyer, and he told us that even though parking structures/companies post things like "we wont be liable for dmg" it wont hold in court. There is nothing they can post that will hold up because it relives ALL responsibility on their part even though you are on their premises and they have some control over your property, plus it would allow them to be careless + steal/dmg property without liability.

This is to protect ppl from being taken advantage of. But im no lawyer, so you would have to see if it holds up in your case.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
What tint shop was it?

Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 PM
No To Mr. Tint

ah man... Mr Tint... in all the years I've been adding modifications to my car... Mr Tint definitely tops the list as the worst shop I've ever been to.

Back when I had my Prelude, and 3M Clear Bra only created kits for specific applications, Mr Tint was one of the very few shops in the BA that offered custom clear bra installations.

Fresh from the body shop, I took my car to Mr Tint to have it clear bra'd. Little did I know, their definition of "custom" is basically having the clear film placed over the bumper, and hand traced using a $3 pocket knife from Home Depot. After 3 hours, I came back to a butchered front bumper that looked like it was installed by a 5 year old. Pist off, I asked to see the Manager, which of course... was not in that morning. After many weeks of calling back, I was finally able to get a hold of the Manager, and got my money back. Unfortunately, I failed at arguing for reimbursment for the damage caused to the bumper.

Weeks later, I've found out from Clear Amour in Mountain View that Mr Tint was notorious for butchering customer cars , including window tints and clear bra installations. The Manager was spending more time in small claims court than in the shop.

In short, Mr Tint spends so much time in court, I would seriously consider going after them for your loss of the iPod. While chances are slim that you can actually prove that they took it, I doesn't hurt to look into it.

Best of luck,

Ken (Kaneda)

Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Coupe
Well, just called and spoke with the Owner. He said that one of his guys who been working on my car been with him for 4 years, and other person for 8 years. He trusts them and all that. I'm going in there today at 5 to look at their 'tapes' but i doubt i'll see anything, since quality is probably not the best and they could have put it in their pocket while inside the car (that already had tint).

Ken, I don't know when you went there, but i tinted my car there twice (old maxima and now the G) and i like their WORK quality, but not the people who do it.

What really gets me is, i would care much less if i broke it myself, or actually lost it somewhere, or the least, it was stolen and i wouldnt know who to go after. Hotdiggidydamn.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by ilyaat
Well, just called and spoke with the Owner. He said that one of his guys who been working on my car been with him for 4 years, and other person for 8 years. He trusts them and all that. I'm going in there today at 5 to look at their 'tapes' but i doubt i'll see anything, since quality is probably not the best and they could have put it in their pocket while inside the car (that already had tint).

Ken, I don't know when you went there, but i tinted my car there twice (old maxima and now the G) and i like their WORK quality, but not the people who do it.

What really gets me is, i would care much less if i broke it myself, or actually lost it somewhere, or the least, it was stolen and i wouldnt know who to go after. Hotdiggidydamn.
Maybe they've changed the owner since... It was atleast 4 years ago.... I just remember the owner of the shop drove a black Porsche Carrera. In either case, best of luck.

Ken

Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 AM
police report is useless, unless you saw who took it....its only going to be classified as lost property.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "We're not responsible for items left in your car"