Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Parking in San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 PM
jrc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking in San Francisco?

I am moving to San Francisco for 2 months for an internship and I was wondering about the parking situation there. I was thinking about staying in Daly City since I will be working in south San Fran, where the parking shouldn't be too bad. However, it would be in a temp housing inn, where I probably wouldn't meet too many people.

I was thinking about staying closer to downtown San Fran to have lots to do and live with a roomate since I wont know anyone there. I was looking at a place on Potrero Hill near 18th street and 101, and I was wondering about the parking situation there and the amount of car break-ins. I have heard bad things about the southeast side of Potrero Hill so I am going to avoid that area, but the northwest side is pretty safe, right? I am most worried about my car, though, as the complex I was thinking about moving into doesn't have a parking garage or covered parking. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:55 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sf sucks everywhere. well the aves around noon is ok, but streetcleaning sucks too. daly city parking is super easy and people dont play bumper cars.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dad has a shop a few blocks away from that area. Parking can suck at times.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:13 AM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you can't park in a garage, don't park in SF consistently. stick to that rule and your G will be okay. the north and south sides of portrero hill are very close to each other... better believe crime bleeds over. i work a few blocks down @ 8th and townsend.

i think you can actually rent a parking spot from the garage attached to my building. if you're interested, let me know and i can ask about the rates. it's extremely safe. a guy keeps his two ferraris, bentley and porsche there daily.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:20 AM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
can i just rent it to see those cars?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:00 PM
jrc
Thanks for the advice, I will be staying at Potrero Hill, but I am definitely going to look into parking my car at work and/or a garage.

Originally Posted by absolutg
i think you can actually rent a parking spot from the garage attached to my building. if you're interested, let me know and i can ask about the rates. it's extremely safe. a guy keeps his two ferraris, bentley and porsche there daily.
I would be interested, can you send me a PM with some details. With that sweet collection of cars, though, the garage may be out of my price range, lol. I am just a poor grad student/intern and the rent is double out here in San Fran compared to Texas .

Old 07-07-2007, 01:57 PM
workin...

sure i'll ask when i get to work on Monday. i think parking on the top floor is $90/month but that might just be for employees of a company in the building. i'll let you know.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
If you have a nice car, don't bring it to SF. I have an '01 Camry that I specifically keep and it's the only car I use to drive to SF.

I can't tell you how many times I've been rear ended by drivers in SF.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G-girl
If you have a nice car, don't bring it to SF. I have an '01 Camry that I specifically keep and it's the only car I use to drive to SF.

I can't tell you how many times I've been rear ended by drivers in SF.

Good luck!
Kinda true. Drivers in SF are too distracted. In my previous vehicle, I was rear ended at the King St. exit off 280. The guys asked me why I was stopped. It was a red light.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 AM
Honestly, I hate driving in SF. I gotta go up there this Tuesday and I'm already hesitant to take my car there. It's either the G or my old car which might break down on the way there! I get lost all the time and parking sucks for me, maybe I just go on the wrong days. And when I get irritated to look for parking, I gotta valet it and I'm not so comfortable with them either. Drivers are crazy there too, especially the cabs!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Modded Member
I don't know what you guys are all worried about. To the OP, from your sig it doesn't seem like your car has any mods that would draw attention, so feel free to leave it parked wherever. Just don't be stupid and leave a briefcase/wallet in plain view and nobody will target your car. As for SF drivers, you have to be a little bit more defensive and cautious of your surroundings, but it's definitely not at the level where you need to bring a beater in to the city.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I was raised in L.A. driving 85mph, three feet apart and most L.A. drivers are uniform in their driving. I've parked my then 10 yr old car in Compton, Long Beach, San Fernando, Highland Park, East L.A. Inglewood, Panorama City, Chinatown and Korea town both day and night and not even a dust was disturbed on my car. Three months after moving up here in Northern Cali and some a$$wipe side swiped my beater car while it was parked and no note, no witnesses, nothing.

I don't trust any Northern Cali drivers. This past Christmas, I was down in L.A. w/ my family... some idiot ran a red light and hit five cars in the intersection... the red light has been red for at least 8 seconds. Guess where the driver's from? yep, you guessed it, Millbrae.

One incident when we were at a red light in SF, stopped for about 1 minute, waiting it to run green and some idiot plowed into us. Luckily, we were in a beat up white Expedition, the driver who hit us was in a Honda. He said he didn't see us.

I'm even hesitant to drive my older Camry to SF.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:11 PM
workin...

$190/month in the garage i talked about above.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i wouldn't trust parking in sf on a normal basis, and you definately will have a lot of trouble finding parking itself. stick with daly city, much easier to find parking and like everyone else said, less likely to get hit.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
lol i'm from millbrae. it's a really small city and people are usually decent drivers here (no chance of speeding since max limit is 35 and that's el camino). lots of dim sum here too

and no that wasn't me

Originally Posted by G-girl
I was raised in L.A. driving 85mph, three feet apart and most L.A. drivers are uniform in their driving. I've parked my then 10 yr old car in Compton, Long Beach, San Fernando, Highland Park, East L.A. Inglewood, Panorama City, Chinatown and Korea town both day and night and not even a dust was disturbed on my car. Three months after moving up here in Northern Cali and some a$$wipe side swiped my beater car while it was parked and no note, no witnesses, nothing.

I don't trust any Northern Cali drivers. This past Christmas, I was down in L.A. w/ my family... some idiot ran a red light and hit five cars in the intersection... the red light has been red for at least 8 seconds. Guess where the driver's from? yep, you guessed it, Millbrae.

One incident when we were at a red light in SF, stopped for about 1 minute, waiting it to run green and some idiot plowed into us. Luckily, we were in a beat up white Expedition, the driver who hit us was in a Honda. He said he didn't see us.

I'm even hesitant to drive my older Camry to SF.

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parking in San Francisco?