Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

recomendations for mendocino?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recomendations for mendocino?

i'm going to be taking a trip to mendocino for a few days with my wife. i've never been there before...any suggestions on things to do, places to see and places to eat? any info would be great.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Wife and I many years ago stayed here, http://www.albionriverinn.com/ Very good food at their Inn.
Then a little further North checked out all the shops in Mendocino. (bring your $$ if the wife likes that kind of stuff...haha)
http://www.mendocino.org/

Next day drove North to Ft. Bragg.
Heres a decent guide for Ft. Bragg, http://www.fortbragg.com/
Can't remember the restaurant, but when your driving into Ft Bragg, you'll see a lot of shops/restaurants below on the Noyo river to your right, just past hwy 20 on the 1.
Great sea food fish grotto places there.

Nice area up that part of the coast.
Have a great time.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
lol...that's where we are staying...at the albion river inn! thanks for the tip.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^^^haha...good to hear. Nice place. Trust it's just you and your wife staying there with no Jr.
Enjoy..........

Old 07-30-2007, 04:51 PM
There are a ton of small shops in Mendocino, if you like to browse there's a good whole day in that alone.

Go north to Fort Bragg, be sure to check out the various parks and beaches. North of town there's MacKerricher State Park, get a tide schedule and go to MacKerricher at low tide and explore the tide pools. You'll see seals and maybe whales...

Other places like Russian Gulch, Jug Handle, Caspar Headlands, and Glass Beach is pretty cool, too. It used to be the "dump" decades ago so now there's all kinds of glass that's been smoothed out over years of being in the ocean tide. Glass beach is on the north end of town, take a left at Denny's.

There's a nice brew pub/restaurant on the north end of Fort Bragg. Good beer and good food.

Go South and check out the Little River Inn. That's a nice place, they also have a nice little golf course if you're a golfer.

You can also take the Skunk Train out of Fort Bragg, it's a fun ride into the coastal mountains, and it's actually still the source of US Mail for a lot of people who live up there.

My favorite shop in Mendocino is an art gallery/shop, they have a ton of sculptures and wood working art, hand carved furnitire etc. I love that place.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 PM
john and johnbigbutt,

thanks for the tip. just got back this afternoon. albion river inn was great. went on the skunk train...kinda boring but it was a relaxing nap. strolled around mendocino. dinner at abion river inn was good however the food at stevenswood was unreal....definitely going back. the local wines were actually pretty damn good. yeah we left the baby with my mom. the drive on 128 was fun...perfect for spirited driving.