Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

2nd ticket in 13 months - 65/70 zone.bs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BASE ACURA TLX NOW WANT A G35 AGAIN THOUGH
2nd ticket in 13 months - 65/70 zone.bs

Guys,

Watch out in San Mateo 101 Southbound near SFO.
I got stopped for the following:

1) No Front Plate - Is it a fine or just fix it - ? -

2) No Signaling Changing from Fast Lane to Right Lane (CHP was on my right)
He didn't turn on his lights he pulled up next to me and "YELLED PULL OVER NOW" - Like he was angry at something...

Our cornering lights don't blink right...??? Mine Don't Is this a new law?

3) Flow of Traffic - (70+) - / 65 - He didn't specify the exact speed -

I'll admit to the front plate but 70 in a 65...? Do you think the judge will be sympathetic...???

My previous ticket was 95+ June 2006 1 Point....If I lose this case, how much will my insurance increase...???

BoBs - '04 6mt IP Cpe w/volks - Damn....!!! I'm 34 driving for 18 years - any advise is appreciated -

Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should say on your ticket what the speed limit was and how fast you were going. If he approximated it then the judge might let it slide. The front plate is usually a fix it ticket. I've gotten them and they are around $90 but if you have it signed off, then it reduces to $10 but will be no more than half.

You can always ask for traffic school. Most people don't know, as they are told you can only do traffic school once within 18 months, but if you have done the 8 hour traffic school you can always ask for 12 hour traffic school. That way your insurance won't go up. The thing is though, if you plan on fighting the ticket for speeding, you will not have the opportunity to attend traffic school. So if you lose, there is no way of taking that point off of your record. You should receive your court order in the mail explaining everything you are being cited for. If you don't go to court right away so you don't have any other fines imposed. They'll let you know what's happening.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
On the ticket he put approximate speed (70+) / 65 zone -

I would think he should have stated like 78mph/72mph etc.
He said to me....I'm going 70 right now so you'r speeding then told me to pull over...

my other ticket was for 96+ in a 65 san mateo bridge...my insurance didn't go up...

i'll just put the front plate back on....

on the ticket he wrote down the radar gun number so you'd think he'd write down the exact speed i was going at...???

seems like it was flow of traffic to me...

Old 08-03-2007, 04:36 PM
awww, 96+ in a 65 zone!! that was a bit fast buddy!

#2 about the CHP was angry!! Hmmm, perhaps he was followed you for a distance and couldnt' able to keep up with your G, so when he could, he was naturally mad at you!!
Hope things are peaceful for you in the coming days!!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
well i've talked to a few people....he didn't specifty the exact speed so approximate 70 in a 65 should be dismissed....

Old 08-04-2007, 07:47 PM
22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive
a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

22356 is refering to a 70 MPH posted speed limit. Like I-5.

Don't plan on the judge dismissing the citation. The MAXIMUM speed limit in California is 65. If you go to court, all the officer has to do is prove that you were doing 66. The judge doesn't care that it was "only" 70 MPH. I actually had a 'kid' take me to court on 75 MPH. He even admitted to doing 75 in court and said he didn't think 75 was that bad. The judge admitted, "Yeah, 75 isn't that bad, but the maximum speed limit is 65. Guilty!"

Was this the other section he cited you?

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move
right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with
reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate
signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other
vehicle may be affected by the movement.

If so, the officer put 2 moving violations on one citation. Hmmm... Are you sure you didn't cut him off or **** him off in some way?

Old 08-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by GYAL8R
On the ticket he put approximate speed (70+) / 65 zone -

I would think he should have stated like 78mph/72mph etc.
He said to me....I'm going 70 right now so you'r speeding then told me to pull over...

my other ticket was for 96+ in a 65 san mateo bridge...my insurance didn't go up...

i'll just put the front plate back on....

on the ticket he wrote down the radar gun number so you'd think he'd write down the exact speed i was going at...???

seems like it was flow of traffic to me...
It doesn't have to be radar, he could have paced you. Sounds like you passed him, that wasn't too smart.

Flow of traffic means absolutely NOTHING.

Were you in fact signaling when you changed lanes?? If so, argue it in court.

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
I will argue it in court because he said I did signal and I know for a fact that the cornering lights don't blink when you signal....

That counts as a moving violiation for not signaling...??? GEESH...!!!

He was angry or something and was screaming at me...PULL OVER NOW...!!!

And on top of this a Mercedes SLK was going faster than I was....

GEEESH....

Might need to get a slower car...test drove the new C-Class this weekend...that is a sweet ride...!!!

BoBs

Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Sedan
I will argue it in court because he said I did signal and I know for a fact that the cornering lights don't blink when you signal....
I know they don't blink but did you actually have your blinker on or are you just going to use that as an excuse?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Cali Event Coordinator
I remember signaling...he looked at me from the side, then looked at the front bumper then he said pull over now...

that's why i was like um ok....

Old 08-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Sedan
I remember signaling...he looked at me from the side, then looked at the front bumper then he said pull over now...

that's why i was like um ok....
Good luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by g35 chippie
22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive
a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

22356 is refering to a 70 MPH posted speed limit. Like I-5.

Don't plan on the judge dismissing the citation. The MAXIMUM speed limit in California is 65. If you go to court, all the officer has to do is prove that you were doing 66. The judge doesn't care that it was "only" 70 MPH. I actually had a 'kid' take me to court on 75 MPH. He even admitted to doing 75 in court and said he didn't think 75 was that bad. The judge admitted, "Yeah, 75 isn't that bad, but the maximum speed limit is 65. Guilty!"

Was this the other section he cited you?

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move
right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with
reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate
signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other
vehicle may be affected by the movement.

If so, the officer put 2 moving violations on one citation. Hmmm... Are you sure you didn't cut him off or **** him off in some way?
G35 Chippie,

Kinda off the topic, but...

You sound a very helpful and informative officer. Maybe you can answer this question that I've wondered about: When you are driving on the freeway does a city patrol car, such as an SFPD car, pull you over for speeding or any other moving and/or fix it violations? And vice-versa, when you are driving through the city can CHP pull you over?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Alumni****
Originally Posted by cnugs127
G35 Chippie,

Kinda off the topic, but...

You sound a very helpful and informative officer. Maybe you can answer this question that I've wondered about: When you are driving on the freeway does a city patrol car, such as an SFPD car, pull you over for speeding or any other moving and/or fix it violations? And vice-versa, when you are driving through the city can CHP pull you over?
From what I was told by my partner, who is a reserve officer with a local PD, there really is no jurisdiction lines between CHP and local PDs.

Correct me if I'm wrong Chippie.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
ok so looking at my ticket again....

Violiation #1 - CVC 2165 (0) or 2165 (8) - Hard to read the hand writing - Thanks to google - looks like "unsafe lange change" -

Violation #2 - CVC 5200 - No Front Plate - (Correctable) -

Doesn't look like he got me for speeding...Approximate Speed 70 but no citation number for excessive speed.

Thanks for your help G35 Chippie -

Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by OOOOA3
From what I was told by my partner, who is a reserve officer with a local PD, there really is no jurisdiction lines between CHP and local PDs.

Correct me if I'm wrong Chippie.
There are jurisdiction lines when it comes to certain responsibilities. We are all peace officers in the state of California. The penal code does define CHP, PD's, and Deputies differently but we all can enforce every code in the state. So yes, PD's and SO's (Deputies) can stop, and do very frequently cars on the freeway. And yes, CHP can stop cars on surface streets. I frequently see Santa Clara County Deputies making stops on 85 and 280 through Saratoga and Cupertino mainly because those cities don't have police departments and contract the Sheriff's Dept to be the police. The jurisdiction comes in to play when it involves where something happened. If it is a traffic collision on the freeway or an unincorporated area of the city, CHP handles it. If it is within city limits, PD's. If a crime happen's on the freeway, CHP handles it. Yes, we do on occassion have spouses beating the crap out of each other as they drive down the freeway. If the crime happens in an unincorporated area, the Sheriff's Dept. handles it. I have been driving on city streets and came across a man and woman throwing haymakers (the woman was winning). I broke up the fight, PD responded, I turned everything over to PD and they arrested her for domestic violence. But yes, I could have arrested her.

BTW, I did cite a gentleman for running a red light on a city street. He was very, very, very angry with me for doing so. He wound up taking me to court and wanted the citation dismissed based on the fact that I was not within my jurisdiction. I am an officer with the 'highway' patrol and I'm not allowed to write tickets on city streets, he said. The judge cracked open the vehicle code and read CVC section 360:

360. "Highway" is a way or place of whatever nature, publicly
maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of
vehicular travel. Highway includes street.

The gentleman said, "Uh, well I guess that changes things, can I go to traffic school?"

I'm an officer of the state of California. I can go anywhere and stop anyone I want. We have a saying, "all roads, all codes." There is almost always an officer from the CHP on every major task force (drug task force such as CAMP, child abduction task forces, etc.) because it gives at least one member of the task force the ablility to go anywhere in the state to make an arrest.

Last edited by g35 chippie; 08-10-2007 at 01:12 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2nd ticket in 13 months - 65/70 zone.bs