Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Citation Question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Citation Question.

So I was late for a meeting and got cited for speeding this morning. Not complaining since I was at fault. But my question is, I didn't get a copy of the citation. The officer handed me the citation to sign, I signed it and gave him back his book. He then gave back my license, registration, and insurance. When I was done putting those things away I realized that I didn't get a copy and he had already left. Who do I call? The courthouse? Does this mean it'll be dismissed? I can hope, can't it?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might get a warning...however, just keep looking in the mail over the next few weeks...if you have not received anything just call the courthouse and just check on the status..if they don't know you that means your lucky..my brother had to worry about this for a year..court told him that he was responsible even though chippie didn't turn anything in..

Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by 35gsleeper
You might get a warning...however, just keep looking in the mail over the next few weeks...if you have not received anything just call the courthouse and just check on the status..if they don't know you that means your lucky..my brother had to worry about this for a year..court told him that he was responsible even though chippie didn't turn anything in..
But if the CHP didn't turn anything in, what would he be responsible for? The court would not even know about it if nothing was turned in right?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Let me guess. Highway 4?
For a while there, I was guaranteed to see one every trip I made.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The copy will be mailed to you along with your ticket im assuming. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
It wasn't on the freeway, it was on A Street. Got tagged for going 42 in a 35.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
But if the CHP didn't turn anything in, what would he be responsible for? The court would not even know about it if nothing was turned in right?
if he has at least 1 copy you got the ticket most likely, i got away with one. i let linda friend drive my old tc and she was doing like 95 on 880 and me and linda were drunk riding along, and we got pulled over. cop gave us all the copys back so we never got the ticket lol

Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 PM
battle froggy
It wasn't on the freeway, it was on A Street. Got tagged for going 42 in a 35.
aww thats gay! he couldnt let u go for 7 mph over!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by kris79
aww thats gay! he couldnt let u go for 7 mph over!
That's what I thought to myself too. I was really nice and courteous, I didn't mouth off to him at all. The thing that kills me is that I told him the mustang in front of me was driving a lot faster than I was and he said that he knew that. He clocked him going 51 with his lidar but "had" to pull me over becuase it was safer. That right there almost sent me over the edge.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 PM
What?!?! 42 in a 35? Felony! Uh.... Even I'm not that stingy. That may be winable. Is that a word? Winable? Two hints: 85th percentile and 22351 CVC.

And yes, the PD will probably mail you your copy of the citation. I've done far worse like dropping someones driver's license on accident down a storm drain on 680.

Last edited by g35 chippie; 11-08-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
^Good hints chippie

More hints...nice sunny clear day (no moisture on the road), no traffic and you were driving safely (you were aware of your surroundings...you noticed the speeding Mustang in front of you) as opposed to recklessly.

I got a speeding ticket a long time ago that I never had to go to court for (somehow it got lost?) and it was on Hwy 4 Gillian

You may be able to fight this if you want to proceed in that direction Mike....if it shows up in the mail that is.

Three types of speed limits ' absolute, presumed and basic. An absolute speed limit means what it says: If you drive a mile over the posted limit, you are speeding. Under presumed speed limit law, you can legally exceed the posted limit as long as you drive safely. The basic speed limit allows you to drive only as fast as conditions allow, no matter what limit is posted.

Note that all states have a basic speed limit and, using this law, usually give out tickets following an accident (even if driving under the posted limit).

Example, speed limits in California, Arizona, Colorado and Connecticut are absolute on highways and presumed almost everywhere else; in states such as Pennsylvania, Florida, Alaska, Hawaii and Kansas, all are absolute; and in Texas and Rhode Island, almost all are presumed.

Drive "safely and prudently" in states and on streets with presumed speed limits.

Drive at or below the posted limit on interstates and state highways to avoid a speeding ticket in most states and when you don't know the law.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 AM
battle froggy
That's what I thought to myself too. I was really nice and courteous, I didn't mouth off to him at all. The thing that kills me is that I told him the mustang in front of me was driving a lot faster than I was and he said that he knew that. He clocked him going 51 with his lidar but "had" to pull me over becuase it was safer. That right there almost sent me over the edge.

so its safer to pull over the car not speeding as much? lol stupid.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its too late he already signed the ticket sayin hes agreed to show up to court regardless. so pretty much you hav to call or just wait till it comes it the mail. it always come. ive had my hopes up too... =] spent $5xxx on car tickets THANKS Santa Clara + San Jose PD... =[

Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the tips Chris, I will definitely keep that in mind for future reference.

Chippie, what's the main difference between the CVC code you posted above 22351, and 22350 which is what he wrote me up for? I know he wrote me up on this becuase he went over with me what he wrote before I signed it. He showed me the code and the distance of my car when he tagged me with his Lidar. Traffic was very light, if any because it was just me and the mustange, and completely dry.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
battle froggy
Originally Posted by Spykez
its too late he already signed the ticket sayin hes agreed to show up to court regardless. so pretty much you hav to call or just wait till it comes it the mail. it always come. ive had my hopes up too... =] spent $5xxx on car tickets THANKS Santa Clara + San Jose PD... =[
glad to see its not only me that has problems with santa clara highway patrol and pd lol thats the only place i get tickets

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Citation Question.