Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

would u buy a car if you found a gun in the glovebox?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hell no...don't know what kinda trouble he may have gotten into with the car. I wouldn't want to be mistaken for somebody else and get my **** all shot up in a driveby

Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't u see the gun in there when you open up the glove box?? did u touch the gun? what if the guy use that gun to kill somebody and your finger print in it? you might get SET UP!!! contact your police department now!!
1-800-call-911

Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy2434

I find it quite troubling that any individual believes that there is a need to carry a concealed firearm in the glove box of a car.
+10000. The car isn't a damn lambo, it's a miata. It sounds indeed shady. I would call the cops and report him and while he is in jail get him to sell you the car.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:37 AM
I can haz potato?

Received 1,019 Likes on 793 Posts
sabertooth tiger
Originally Posted by Andy2434
First, CCWs are next to impossible to qualify for in California. In the local Bay Area counties, the Sheriff has issued an unmeasurable amount of the said when considering the total population.

An empty handgun should not be transported in the glove compartment. Those doing so are looking for big troubles.

When I go to the range, my guns are stored separately from any ammo in the trunk of my car. The slides are pulled back and locked, the cylinders are swung open. Each handgun is in its own case/sleeve. Going to the shooting range and an occasional hunting excursion are the only times when there are firearms in my cars.

I find it quite troubling that any individual believes that there is a need to carry a concealed firearm in the glove box of a car.
+1 to everything you said Andy. In CA the only way you are legally allowed to transport firearms (without a CCW) is unloaded, in locked storage containers separate from ammunition, to-and-from the range, firearms retailer, or hunting. So if you're driving about day-to-day with firearms in your vehicle (but with no plans to go hunting, to the range or to a firearms store), even if they're locked and unloaded, it is illegal.

EDIT: per the DOJ's Bureau of Firearms (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php)

Traveling with firearms in California:

HANDGUNS
California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS
California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

Last edited by calcul8; 04-08-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by lov3rboy408
don't u see the gun in there when you open up the glove box?? did u touch the gun? what if the guy use that gun to kill somebody and your finger print in it? you might get SET UP!!! contact your police department now!!
1-800-call-911

It was dim lit, took a few seconds to process what it was, since it had a hoister on it. Might have touched the butt of the stock when pushing it back in the door. seriously what kinda dude has a gun in the glovebox and a harry potter book in the trunk? i was like WTF! kinda sad that I wont be buying that car as its 1 out of 3500 in the US.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by BlueDevilBAMF
It's really none of your business if he has a permit or not.

Personally I'd be hesitant about making a business deal with anyone who feels the need to keep a handgun in his glovebox.

Furthermore, you have to wonder about anyone who would sell their car and keep the handgun in there knowing full well you'll be inspecting it.
+1

+1

+1

Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by dofu
Unless the guy is a cop, I'd go look for another car.
Even if he was a cop he wouldn't keep a gun in the glovebox.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by oran9e
It was dim lit, took a few seconds to process what it was, since it had a hoister on it. Might have touched the butt of the stock when pushing it back in the door. seriously what kinda dude has a gun in the glovebox and a harry potter book in the trunk? i was like WTF! kinda sad that I wont be buying that car as its 1 out of 3500 in the US.
Undercover cop using the Miata for a stakeout?

The heck with the gun. How was the Miata?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Big deal, so he has a gun in the glovebox...if you like the car buy it!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by Art007
Undercover cop using the Miata for a stakeout?
Like I said, even a cop would not keep a gun in the glovebox.

You guys watch too much bad TV.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JOKER
What to do when you find a gun in a glove compartment of a car you trying to purchase.

1. Check if gun is loaded.
2. Check if it's loaded with live rounds and not blanks
3. Point gun at the seller/sellers
4. Ask for keys to the car.
5. Go for a joy ride.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
More people than you think keep weapons illegally in their cars - glovebox or otherwise. It's all part of keeping and bearing arms ya know - gotta have that protection.

If I liked the car I wouldn't sweat it. Chances are the moron forgot it was in there. I'd probably mention - "hey yo G, you know you got a gat in your GB homey" and he'd probably throw a couple of gang signs and shrug it off with a "my bad dog, I been lookin' for dat mah-focka all mornin yo.."

You might even get a finders fee or a discount on the Miata.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM
A gun in the glove box is not a deal breaker. A body in the trunk, however......

Old 04-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned
gun is for pu.ssy ..only coward use weapon.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Art007
A gun in the glove box is not a deal breaker. A body in the trunk, however......
lol I totally agree.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: would u buy a car if you found a gun in the glovebox?