Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

help! question about speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpp_us2003
but i wonder what extra do i have to give out when i find guilty but not admitting it. is it gonna be the same, just pay the fine or its based on the judge? im planning on getting a V1, anyone selling?? and how efficient are they from detecting on coming CHP?

If the cop is using the Lidar (laser) then ya ur screwed since its perty much instant on with a what 8inch spread at 1k ft? the V1 is ok at picking it up but not trust worthy enough...so by the time the detector even picks it up ur speed was already picked up... now if they are using the radar gun u have a little higher chance since they have bigger spred which is easyer to pick up unless ur behind a big van/truck/suv/big rig where it will have a hard time to pick it up....

U live in Cali most of the CHP's use Laser now a days. some will leave there KA band guns on and u will get lucky 3/4-1mil away since it will go off (happend to me a few times) but most will just tag u with laser.. only way around that is with a laser jammer which are illegel in california so ur SOL drive slower :P but i do admit the detector did teach me to slow down till i got the motorcycle :-/

Old 06-10-2008, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by g35 chippie
Two things:

mpp_us2003- Yes RADAR in our cars can be set to read traffic traveling in the opposite direction. It's actually one of the requirements to become RADAR certified; to visually estimate the speed of 5 vehicles in that manner with an accuracy of + or - 5 MPH. The instructor sits next to you and says, and asks how fast a certain vehicle is traveling toward you. You guess and he activates the RADAR. You gotta do it 5 times.

frog- As far as I know, you cannot ask for a change venue. When you sign the citation, you are promising to appear at the court written at the bottom of the citation. What you are refering to may only be possible for jury trial. Most of the judges in Santa Clara County are familiar with the roads here, not in another county. I have had a judge take a case under submission so he could go look at an intersection for himself. In the words of Judge Stone from Night Court, "Guilty, guilty, guilty!" It would be a little difficult for a judge in another county to come to Santa Clara to do that. But don't quote me on this, call the court to be sure.
i couldn't find the info but i did find this

Change of Venue You have the right to request a change of venue to the county seat if it is closer to where you live or work. Some people claim that this increases the possibility that the officer will not show and your case will be dismissed. I have no evidence that this is correct but use this if it is more convenient for you. You need to request this from the officer at the time of the stop. However the judge may grant a timely filed motion. California Vehicle Code section 40502(b).

i looked up the code and it says
Upon demand of the person arrested, before a judge or other magistrate having jurisdiction of the offense at the county seat of the county in which the offense is alleged to have been committed. This subdivision applies only if the person arrested resides, or the person's principal place of employment is located, closer to the county seat than to the magistrate nearest or most accessible to the place where the arrest is made.

so now im confused so i take it If you live in Orange County, and you get a ticket in LA,At the very least, you make the officer drive one hour or so to fight you in court.

Last edited by frog; 06-10-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
The officer is not "guessing". If he is certified and trained his estimation of your speed is taken as fact. It's part of their jobs.
thats why i put guess in " " because even though he may be trained, theres nothing really stating how fast the person was going other then the officer saying how fast., as apposed to a radar actually telling you the exact speed.
i just thought that was interesting.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
the only problem that i have with the officer saying how fast someone is going without the use of radar....is when i recently got pulled over and the cop said i was going 90. 90 on 680...but there was no way because my cruise control was set at 80. when i got pulled over, i was doing 75. but never was i doing 90!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by I has Kitty
the only problem that i have with the officer saying how fast someone is going without the use of radar....is when i recently got pulled over and the cop said i was going 90. 90 on 680...but there was no way because my cruise control was set at 80. when i got pulled over, i was doing 75. but never was i doing 90!
What speed did he put on the ticket?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
i dont doubt that cops can judge how fast your going.....
but in my case, thats a bit over the top

Old 06-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
The officer is not "guessing". If he is certified and trained his estimation of your speed is taken as fact. It's part of their jobs.
dude what side are you on????LOLzzz..

Old 06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i dont doubt that cops can judge how fast your going.....
but in my case, thats a bit over the top

I agree. I've had the same thing happen to me on Hwy 4. There was no CHP in sight and out of no where, this lady comes racing down the freeway and pulls me over. She makes me pull off the highway and then insists that I was going "about 90 mph" when I was only going 75 the whole trip. Then she says shes going to "give me a break" and write me up for going 80 mph. On the ticket, she wrote it as ~80.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:28 PM
yeah, that sucks.
i admit i was speeding, specially since this isnt my frist speeding ticket.....
but sheesh. 90....thats 25 over the limit....
and when the cop was behind me, someone hauled a$$ to the right of me...guess they figured it was ok to speed passed me since i was getting pulled over!

oh well.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by shyger85

he believes in being punished in his basement!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Never gone
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Got my first speeding ticket compliments of CHP on Sunday night heading home from my photoshoot with Gene aka Kyosho.

80 in a 65 zone. Oh well, I'll suck it up, pay my fine, do the online class and just move on.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats why i put guess in " " because even though he may be trained, theres nothing really stating how fast the person was going other then the officer saying how fast., as apposed to a radar actually telling you the exact speed.
i just thought that was interesting.
I don't think you smell what I'm steppin' in. Maybe you didn't understand my previous post. Not every officer who is certified in RADAR is an expert in the area of visual estimation. That's why I said the INSRUCTOR is. He is the officer who teaches the POST certified 24 hour class to officers. The officer had already been deamed by the court as an expert witness in the area of visual estimation. This is done by the voir dire process. He had already been asked a bazillion questions by the DA and a defense attorney at some point regarding his experience and qualifications. They and the court agreed at some point he is an expert. So now there is no questioning his training and experience anymore. It's not a guess. It's an estimation. The RADAR reading just confirms a visual estimation. He has been visualing estimation speeds for God knows how many years. So the court says he must be pretty good at it. Again, there are only a handfull of officers that have reached this level. Maybe a little clip will help you understand.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9ISFh1MBUI&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9ISFh1MBUI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 PM
thanks for the clarification. i guess i must have mis-understood when you said that it was an estimation and that only certain cops or instructors who are qualified. thanks

Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by shyger85
Why does there have to be "sides"?

Old 06-11-2008, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by g35 chippie
No worries. Chippies are usually pretty good about taking detailed notes on tickets seeing as it's the majority of our activity. Just for sh*ts and giggles, the speedometers on our patrol cars, motorcycles, MRE trucks, and whatever other vehicles we use for enforcement are calibrated every 3 months. If it is a ticket where the speed was obtained by pacing, we bring the speedometer calibration to court and the judge enters it into evidence. The greatest deviation on a speedometer I have seen was 1 MPH, in favor of the defendant.
I'm curious about something. Are you familiar with the stretch of I5 between 152 and the Grapevine? If so, how far over 70mph would you personally pull someone over for going in that section? I've made the trip between here and LA many times per year over the last 7 years (I used to go to college down in Northridge) and although I generally tried to stay between 75-80, it was pretty common to have my doors blown off by someone going 95-100+.

Every time I make that trip and that happens, I always get curious as to how fast someone has to be going on that part of I5 to get pulled over (long, flat, straight, great visibility, etc). I've known police officers in the past and they seem to have personal variances for how fast someone has to be going before being pulled over (which varies depending on conditions).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help! question about speeding ticket