Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Officer D. Coy of the San Mateo police is looking for you!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Officer D. Coy of the San Mateo police is looking for you!

In the driver's seat

Strapped for officers, police are turning to volunteer programs

By Will Oremus / Daily News Staff Writer
Vexed by rush-hour drivers careening through her manicured, residential neighborhood, San Mateo resident Anna Kuhre for years has been calling for more police enforcement.

She thinks she may have finally found the help she needs in Officer David Coy.

Three mornings a week, Kuhre picks him up at the police station and drives with him in a cruiser to a street near her house. When motorists see Coy parked there in his blue uniform and sunglasses, they tend to slow down and mind their road manners.

Most ease by without ever taking a close enough look to get the joke behind his name. Officer D. Coy is a dummy - a tool the police department has offered to Kuhre to scare speeders into obeying the law.

San Mateo police say they have used the decoy car in the past, but these days they don't have enough officers to deploy it regularly. So in a department first, they've agreed to hand the keys to neighborhood volunteers who undergo training and pass a background check.

The department launched the program last week without publicity, tapping Kuhre as the first participant. If all goes well, Police Chief Susan Manheimer said it could expand to include a volunteer from each of five different areas of the city.

It's part of a broader initiative that Manheimer calls the Neighborhood Traffic Corps. The idea is to address the near-constant rumble of speeding complaints by enlisting the complainers in the battle. For instance, some volunteers will be asked to stand watch at intersections and count the rolling stops, helping the department's four traffic patrol officers target their efforts. Others will help with speed surveys.

Another plan under consideration - borrowed from neighboring Burlingame - would give residents radar guns and notepads to take down the license plates of speeders, so police can follow up with warning letters.

"Frankly, in this era of dwindling resources for local government, we've got to rely on our neighbors and the community," Manheimer said. "This extends our reach and our eyes and ears" without pulling officers away from more critical crime-fighting tasks.

Kuhre, for one, is enthusiastic.

"I've been working on Third Avenue traffic issues for three years, and this is the most empowered I've felt," she said. "We're going to get this off the ground, and we're going to make it a success."

On Friday, her husband dropped her off at the police station on Delaware Street, where an officer met her to sign out the keys to the car. It's an actual police cruiser with working lights, although volunteers are under strict instructions not to use them.

"If somebody flags them down, we tell them to let us know - don't take any action on your own," said Capt. Kevin Raffaelli. "They're limited to driving to and from the destination. They will not be patrolling in a police vehicle."

Kuhre rolled off the lot, turned left on Delaware and headed toward the Baywood neighborhood, driving at the speed limit. She parked the black-and-white cruiser on Edinburgh Street between Fordham Road and Virginia Avenue - a stretch that bears scars from an experiment with speed humps that ended in controversy a few years back.

Several otherwise serene streets in the area have become notorious as rush-hour shortcuts for parents hurrying to work after dropping their kids at school on Alameda de las Pulgas. The Edinburgh speed humps were removed not because they didn't slow traffic, but because of complaints that they merely diverted the speed demons onto even smaller roads.

After propping Officer Coy in the driver's seat, Kuhre adjusted the angle of his head, fitted him with the sunglasses - her own touch - and gently brushed back his artificial hair. She crossed the street, inspected her work for verisimilitude, then turned and walked home.

Neighbors on Edinburgh, a few of whom had seen the decoy on its last visit, mostly welcomed the inanimate interloper.

"It looks like Officer Schroeder," said plumber Michael Tyo, referring to a living, breathing San Mateo traffic officer. "It's positioned great. I wish we had something like this out where I live."

Phil Acker, who lives near the corner of Edinburgh Street and Virginia Avenue, recalled a time years ago when the intersection was regularly patrolled by motorcycle officers.

"Every 10 minutes, he'd take off after somebody," Acker said. "Nobody ever stops at this stop sign."

Under the unwatchful eyes of Officer Coy, five of the first six cars made full stops at Virginia on Friday. The sixth slowed, eyed the mannequin in the cruiser, and rolled on through.

The police department had hoped to keep the decoy program under the public's radar, at least at the start. But Kuhre is broadcasting it in hopes of attracting more volunteers.

Burlingame's citizen radar program recently stalled because the city can't find enough residents willing to participate.

"I'm sure they'll get volunteers," said Karen Herrel, a member of the Beresford-Hillsdale Neighborhood Association, which has its own speed concerns. "Traffic is a real issue, and I think there are definitely people who will step forward."

Herrel herself has already signed up for the traffic corps, though she said she's not sure yet what her role will be. The decoy program, she noted, is just a part of the overall push.

"There are lots of things that police officers do that probably are not the best use of their time," Herrel said. "To the extent you can use volunteers in any organization, you're freeing up the professionals to do things only the professionals can do."

Manheimer was dismayed to hear that the decoy trick would be revealed in the newspaper. But she said drivers who begin ignoring Officer D. Coy are running a risk. Police at some point may outfit it with a camera, or even switch out the dummy for a real officer with a radar gun.

"Once drivers see the decoy," Manheimer said, "enforcement will not be far behind."
http://www.sanmateodailynews.com/art...008-7-27-decoy

The D. Coy is one thing but this scares me:

Another plan under consideration - borrowed from neighboring Burlingame - would give residents radar guns and notepads to take down the license plates of speeders, so police can follow up with warning letters.
How come I picture old people with radar guns shaking their fist at every car that drives by?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man...what is this world coming to? haha!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:40 PM
they're all dummies anyways....

jk....

Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 PM
hahhahah damn he's hawt! let me holla! lol

Old 07-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey, if they give radar guns to nosy neighbors, can we start jamming?

Note that VC section 28150(a) states [emphasis in bold]:

"No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects."

If a radar is being used by a civilian, then does it count as a "radar . . . used by a law enforcement agency"? I have no idea what the answer is, so don't take this as legal advice (duh).

Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 PM
R

Originally Posted by TonyK
Hey, if they give radar guns to nosy neighbors, can we start jamming?

Note that VC section 28150(a) states [emphasis in bold]:

"No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects."

If a radar is being used by a civilian, then does it count as a "radar . . . used by a law enforcement agency"? I have no idea what the answer is, so don't take this as legal advice (duh).
Damn, Tony, that's a valid loop hole! Fortunately the civilian radar guns get you is a warning.

Oh, and I've already seen enough empty cruisers around in other cities, not just San Mateo. And it always gives me the heebie jeebies to see it, until I get close enough to tell no one's in it.

Originally Posted by RawFusion
Damn, Tony, that's a valid loop hole! Fortunately the civilian radar guns get you is a warning.
Yeah, but that'd be entertaining, watching their reaction as their radar guns get jammed.

Edit: just noticed my post count went down to the devil's number. Farewell, July UT thread - it was great while it lasted! *sniff*

Old 07-28-2008, 08:32 PM
i didnt even read the article rudy. sorry too long
i just saw the picture lol!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 PM
R

Originally Posted by GxR0ckstar
i didnt even read the article rudy. sorry too long
i just saw the picture lol!
Just how they have a Dummy sitting in a police car in San Mateo to scare people from speeding. And that they wanna give people radar guns so they can rat us out to police. Like I'm not already profiled enough as it is.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 PM
HEY that sounds fun! i want one of those guns. hahaha i'll catch all those BAD crazy drivers on the road.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
R

Originally Posted by GxR0ckstar
HEY that sounds fun! i want one of those guns. hahaha i'll catch all those BAD crazy drivers on the road.
You'd actually be good at it, Jenn. You have the detective skills to pull it off!

Tony, I hear you on the radar jamming. I would assume that having a radar jamming device for civilian radar guns is totally legal, right?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM
You'd actually be good at it, Jenn. You have the detective skills to pull it off!

Tony, I hear you on the radar jamming. I would assume that having a radar jamming device for civilian radar guns is totally legal, right?
Dude, did you not see what I said above - don't take my post as legal advice. I don't need the malpractice headache.

Time to ***** up the SoCal UT for a couple days.

Edit: BTW, to answer the sticky, respectfully, it would help if people knew what was going on. It took me forever to track back and figure it out, and that was with the UT. Just a thought.

Last edited by TonyK; 07-28-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
nice now they are using our tax dollars on blow up dolls.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
How come I picture old people with radar guns shaking their fist at every car that drives by?
LMAO, that would be hilarious!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.