Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Got hit, need help :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got hit, need help :(

My car got hit while it was parked at a shopping garage in walnut creek. The lady who hit the car while backing out of her spot just took off.

Luckily a good person wrote down the license plate number & left a note on my windshield. I was barely gone 30 mins.

Called the cops, when they came out, Steve (person who left note), was just leaving too. He spoke to the cop. Told her what happened and pointed out that the lady who hit my car was parked just 7-8 spots down, around the corner and that her (jeep compass) front indicator light had broken in the process.

The cop took this as a hit & run, but since the car was in the vicinity, she started taking pictures of the car etc. I have to go collect a police report next week.

Its not that bad, but it sucks because the car is just about 4 months old

A few questions:
1. Will I have to pay my deductible? Or will Geico be able to track down the lady since the cops have the lic plate # etc?
2. I will be calling Geico only after i get the police report. Is it ok to call then? Or should I call them ASAP?
3. Where should I get it repaired? Live in Oakland, work in Brisbane. Open to a good shop in the bay area.
4. Deductible is $500.

Thanks

Here's the cell phone pic of at that time:

Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Damn! that really does suck bro!!
First of all, you're very lucky someone witnessed the accident and was a good citizen for reporting it to you and the police, so that will def help when it comes to filing a claim (proof that you're NOT responsible for the accident)
Well, two scenarios could happen here:
1. the lady could have insurance ,in which case GEICO will process the claim (you will have to pay the deductible still) and after they collect the $$$ from the lady's insurance, you SHOULD be reimbursed your deductible.
2. the lady has NO insurance (which is often the case in hit and runs) -- Tell me you purchased the uninsured motorist protection bro?

Definitely get a copy of the police report ASAP.
I suggest you call your insurance company and notify them that your vehicle was hit immediately. Tell them situation bout it being parked when the incident occurred, and that someone hit your car and ran.
Also, make sure they understand that you have a police report and a witness who saw the accident and can verify the facts.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM
As for body repair shop, alot of the guys on this forum tend to go to Garage Inc for body work-- I've heard alot of good reviews bout them (based in Burlingame,CA)

Bout yr and 1/2 ago , when I was involved in an accident with my G, it went to BAB auto body in San Carlos. They did a great job repairing my ride and fitted my car with a Kenstyle Body Kit.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest you call your insurance agent asap and tell them about it. My thoughts are you won't have to pay for anything since it wasn't your fault. But they will wait until they track down that lady and make her pay for it, then repair your car.

It's fortunate that someone caught this red handed. At least you got it fully covered then.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Kung Fu got it right on.. Be sure to call your insurance ASAP. You pay good money to insure your car so let them do all the work. Thats what you pay for. You were very fortunate that someone saw the person who hit your car. My car was hit at work a few days ago and nobody saw anything. I am out $500.

+1 for Garage Inc. I am getting my work done there as many other G owners do. Talk to Rian and he will help you work things out.

Keep us posted.... Hope everything works out forn you...

Old 05-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by xlack
I suggest you call your insurance agent asap and tell them about it. My thoughts are you won't have to pay for anything since it wasn't your fault. But they will wait until they track down that lady and make her pay for it, then repair your car.

It's fortunate that someone caught this red handed. At least you got it fully covered then.

Good luck!
Hey Lucas!How have you been?
anyways, It's yes and no depending on paying for deductible.
Of course, the deductible will need to be paid (regardless of who's at fault) the lady's insurance is suppose to reimburse him .
IF the lady doesn't have insurance coverage, he is stuck with the deductible and will have to take the lady to small claims court if he wants to recover the 500 bucks.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KungFuPanda
Hey Lucas! It's yes and no depending on paying for deductible.
Of course, the deductible will need to be paid (regardless of who's at fault) the lady's insurance is suppose to reimburse him .
IF the lady doesn't have insurance coverage, he is stuck with the deductible and will have to take the lady to small claims court if he wants to recover the 500 bucks.
SOme insurance companies are pretty picky with their policies. I got hit years back in a rental car. I had to pay deductable up front and once the insurance company investigated and determined I was not at fault, they reimbursed me. The bad thing is that alot of people do not have insurance so indeed you will be liable for the $500. Its horrible when we pay money to insure our car and take responsibility for our actions. Other people ride dirty and do not car about the impact their actions may have on other people.

My girl got hit by a neighbor who admitted fault when we exchanged info. Once the insurance was contacted, she flipped it around and said we hit her. People are very dishonest...

Trending Topics

Old 05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by bmpnride
SOme insurance companies are pretty picky with their policies. I got hit years back in a rental car. I had to pay deductable up front and once the insurance company investigated and determined I was not at fault, they reimbursed me. The bad thing is that alot of people do not have insurance so indeed you will be liable for the $500. Its horrible when we pay money to insure our car and take responsibility for our actions. Other people ride dirty and do not car about the impact their actions may have on other people.

My girl got hit by a neighbor who admitted fault when we exchanged info. Once the insurance was contacted, she flipped it around and said we hit her. People are very dishonest...
aye... tis the sad world we live in ..there are too many dishonest people

Old 05-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ HI Robert! Haven't seen u in ages

and btw to the OP.. i reduced my deductible from 1000 to 100 and paid like 23 dollars more in a period of 6 months. Forgot the amount exactly but it was really little.

u cant reduce ur deductible now but definitely something to look into after this whole episode. just call ur agent and ask em for a quote.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
With license plate known...LE will be paying a little visit to that lady's home (usually). Hit/Run = State offense I believe.

Yea...call your Insurance and give 'all' the 411...

I had my deduct waived during my very recent repairs. Once other party Insurance accepted liability of fault, no deduct came out of my pocket once repairs where finished. I have AAA and $500 deduct too.

Sorry to hear/see what happened and you're sooo lucky that guy was a good Samaritan on your behalf.

G/L

Old 05-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to see the damage inflicted on your car. Thank goodness for the watchful eye of a good samaritan. I trust the insurance companies find a quick resolve and repair your car in short time.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks. I did call geico and at least let them know whats happening. Got my claim number.

Now to collect the police report sometime during the week.

I can either wait till we find the other insurance company and go directly to them for the claim, or I can pay the $500 and have geico go after them to get the money back. I'm probably going to go with option #2. Now lets hope the adjustor is good enough that I can get a good shop to fix the car

Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 AM
H&H auto body in Oakland 510 534 1888 Ask raymond tell him mike with the G35 sent you.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Remember by law you can take your car to any shop you want, don't let the insurance company take to one if there "professional shops"..if u live in Oakland, you should look into Bob MOtter body shop, that is where I took my 2005 when my dad backed up into my rear quarter panel..

Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperStezzyG
H&H auto body in Oakland 510 534 1888 Ask raymond tell him mike with the G35 sent you.
oh **** i havnt tak to raymond in years! i should gie him a call and see hows he doing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got hit, need help :(