Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

accident, need advise/help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2004 | 03:14 PM
|
accident, need advise/help

hey guys please, if u could, finish reading. thanks.

i got into a big accident last night.

my car is still drivable, (right and laft fender smashed, front right 18" rim f'ed up, front bumper damage) but the other car that was involved in the accident is totalled. i was driving on a 2 lane express way, i was on the left (fast lane) and there was a new V6 4 door accord on the right lane. i need to make a lane change because i needed to exit and there was a car driving in low speed. i kinda sped up just a lil bit to get in front of the accord (the accord was lil more back). as soon as i started to creep in into the right lane, the accord speeds up, not trying to let me into the lane. i braked really hard, the accord tried to speed up and swerve out, but fails. hits my car, spins out. it crashes into alot of things before coming into a halt. i was glad the driver was fine, even tho her new accord was totalled.

now, here is the thing. after the police officers did their accident report thing, i got a ticket for unsafe lane change. i told her cops that she accerated, not trying to let me in. they said its their lane, they can do whatever they want (speed up, slow down, stop, whatever) is there a way i can argue this?

also, i just found out my insurance was expired a month ago. insurance is under my mom's name, i didnt know it was expired until the accident. if my insurance was current, i know that all i need to do is make my insurance company handle it. but what now? how am i going to handle this accident? my G35? should i get insurance today, now? or is insurance not worth getting right now because this accident wont be covered?

i need some advise. please, if you have any info that can help me, that would be great. thanks for reading this far.

Old 08-21-2004 | 08:55 PM
Re: accident, need advise/help

Sorry to hear about your accident. First and foremost glad you and everyone else is okay. That is the most important thing as cars are replaceable. As for your situation I think you may be stuck in a rock and a hard place. Since you technically did not have insurance I think you can technically be charged for driving without insurance. Not sure what kind of fines/penalties are involved there but it won't be good. As for the accident report was it determined that you or the girl was at fault? If the girl was at fault then her insurance company would have to cover your expenses but since you did not have insurance at the time not sure how that would play out. If you were considered at fault and did not have insurance you may have to cover the girls expenses out of pocket. If I were you I'd consult someone with legal knowledge before doing anything. This seems to be a real sticky situation for you. Sorry to hear that. Good luck.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway/ '03 350Z Shocks and Springs

Old 08-22-2004 | 02:52 PM

It sounds like the police are tagging you at fault cause of the ticket you got. If you tried to argue that ticket I think it would be hard, to me it's like tryin to aruge a fail to yield ticket.

First I would work out the business with your insurance and find out if your covered or not. I think it's a $1000 to $1500 fine for driving without insurance. I don't think getting insurance now would help since your going to have the police report and DMV Accident report showing that the accident happened before you were covered. IF your not covered then it's just going to suck from here on out....sorry if thats the case. best of luck to you though

04 DG Coupe
Team Showcase
Norcal Division

Old 08-24-2004 | 03:15 AM
Sedan

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

they said its their lane, they can do whatever they want (speed up, slow down, stop, whatever)

<hr></blockquote>

Technically that's not true, but it sounds like the fact that you slammed on your brakes caused the accident.

The bigger problem is the no insurance. Get yourself a lawyer to minimize your financial loss.

Old 08-25-2004 | 02:16 PM

was the girl at least cute? .. sorry.. just trying to lighten the mood a little.. it blows to be in an accident.. i had my share early this year but i was covered by insurance.. I think your best option now is to consult with a traffic accident attorney.. you have two things against you, first you have no insurance, and second the police gave you a ticket.. it's going to be hard for you to get insurance from now on because you have a lapse in insurance and you have the accident.. since you got the ticket technically its your fault.. and since you don't have insurance you're financially responsible for both your car and the other person's car.. man, that is going to be one expensive bill