Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Which way should arrow point when replacing cabin filter? Up or Down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which way should arrow point when replacing cabin filter? Up or Down?

Just put my charcoal filter in. Aligned the the filter to the ledges to match ledges holding filter up on the filter cover, closed it.

In the slot, The word Nissan is upside down and arrow pointing up. Is this the correct way for the arrow? Saw

When I opened the filter box, the original filter arrows were pointing down. I've heard they should be pointing up.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by uttarpradesh
Just put my charcoal filter in. Aligned the the filter to the ledges to match ledges holding filter up on the filter cover, closed it.

In the slot, The word Nissan is upside down and arrow pointing up. Is this the correct way for the arrow? Saw

When I opened the filter box, the original filter arrows were pointing down. I've heard they should be pointing up.
I think it depends on the type of filter you are using. Typically the arrow indicates the direction of air flowing. If you take the used filter out you should see all the debris sitting on the top of the filter, this indicates that the air flows from the top to the bottom of the filter. If you open your hood and look behind the battery, you will see that the air is sucked in through that opening behind the battery. So to answer your question, if the filter says "UP" with an arrow next to it, that arrow should be pointing up, but if it says "airflow" it should be pointing down. Hope this helps..

Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
I think it depends on the type of filter you are using. Typically the arrow indicates the direction of air flowing. If you take the used filter out you should see all the debris sitting on the top of the filter, this indicates that the air flows from the top to the bottom of the filter. If you open your hood and look behind the battery, you will see that the air is sucked in through that opening behind the battery. So to answer your question, if the filter says "UP" with an arrow next to it, that arrow should be pointing up, but if it says "airflow" it should be pointing down. Hope this helps..
The original filter that was in their when i opened the airbox and looked straight at it, it had the word "Airflow" and an arrow pointing down into the floor of the car.

The new filter I bought from Infiniti is a charcoal filter. It doesn't have the word "Airflow". But it has an arrow. The way I put it into the slot is like this, the arrow is pointing up and the word Nissan and the other words or codes can be seen (but it's upside down).

I wonder if I had put this in right. Or should the arrow point downwards when looking at it from my position in the seat and should the word Nissan be "normal facing up."

I can send a pic...I was able to upload a pic a few months back but now I can't seem to do it.