Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

any tips for beginner snowboarder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take lesson.

Be patient.

Push yourself. Learning on a "bunny slope" isnt always the best way. I personally think there isnt enough "slope" to really learn the dynamics on a beginner hill. Try some intermediate runs after the lesson and some warm-up runs. Nothing like jumping right into it!

Have Fun. Dont think your gonna be pullin backside 540's in the first few hours. Just go into it with the right attitude and you will be fine. Kinda like how i approach Golf. I go into a round knowing that i suck, and just try to focus, learn a little bit, and progress as the day goes on. I dont try to be Tiger Woods on the first hole (hope that makes sense)

Botton Line - Have Fun! Tahoe is a great place with lotsa different terrain for all levels. I recomend Squaw Valley for your first day or so. They have GREAT facilities and there is a definate "resort" feel to that mountain. Try it out.......take pics too!

Old 12-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I think everyone has it covered...
The only thing I would add, is to try & get a package deal for lifts & lessons.
It's really worth it to get a lesson package for a few days in a row.

Both of my daughters are ski instructors & their board instructor friends say....
It typically takes 3 consecutive days, then you're good to go.

Good luck & have fun

Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Pa. G Squad (Philly)
Originally Posted by Diesel1
LOL Umm supposed to be snowboarding advice KG...not ummmmm whatever advice u were giving them here!

Very funny smarta**! Get your mind out of the gutter.

Last edited by koreangrl; 12-22-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by koreangrl
Very funny smarta**!
Would you ammature snowboarders please take this arguement elsewhere.....im trying to share some of my knowledge with a fellow Gdriver about the wonderful world of snowboarding!

Thanks.....and have a nice day!

Old 12-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Boreal is a nice place to learn, that's where I learned. Back in the days it was one of the only places that allowed boarding though and had an actual park. I don't know if you already went on your trip but here's some tips.

Clothing
You don't have to spend much at all for gear, just go to old navy or pacific sunwear to buy the outer wear. At pacsun I just go to the sale rack and get some baggy parachute material pants for about 10 bux. For goggles, gloves, and face mask just go to Big 5 and pick them up for about $25. Goggles make the difference, don't just use sun glasses.
- 1st layer thermos
- 2nd layer T-shirt or long sleeve T
- 3rd layer sweats
- 4th layer water proof
Boots go about a size bigger so you can fit in 2 or 3 layers of socks.

Board and boot rental
check out craigslist. People sell some nice board/binding and boots for less then rental.

learning to board
all you need is a half day lesson to get the basics (getting off chair lift ). Don't even worry about the trail levels, there's no such thing as a black diamond in snowboarding, just heal edge all the way down the slope if you get scared.

tips
- The number one tip is to never carve with the down hill edge.

- figure out footing. goofy foot (left leg in front) or regular (right leg in front). Usually right handed people are regular footed. If you feel more comfortable kicking a ball with your left foot, then your goofy.
- start with a basic binding setups (probably 5 degrees front front and zero on the back foot). Narrow stance for free riding, wider stance for free style.
- learn to exit the chair lift safely. I've seen people miss the exit and end up jumping off the chair going down. to exit just keep the nose of the board facing straight, foot on the stomp pad area (center of board), anticipate the landing pad and push off the chair with your hand.
- dont sit in the middle of the slope to rest!
- when you get thirsty just head to the trees and eat some fresh snow, make sure it's not yellow

hope your trip turns out good. have fun!

Old 12-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Pa. G Squad (Philly)
Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
Would you ammature snowboarders please take this arguement elsewhere.....im trying to share some of my knowledge with a fellow Gdriver about the wonderful world of snowboarding!

Thanks.....and have a nice day!
AMMATURE? Pa-leeeeeezzz. And I already shared some knowledge, so there!

Why don't you put your board where your mouth is and I'll see you on the mountain in a couple weeks! We should go soon, I'm dying to get on the mountain.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:09 PM
this thread really sucks to see when your stuck at work. I need to get to the snow!

are you boarding out here in CA or PA, koreangrl? I want to board with some forum people.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Me....? It's been 8yrs....
you remind me first learning snowboarding.

You'll first need to choose first which style you ride.
1. freestyle,
2. freeride or all mountain board,
3. Carving, Alpine or Race board.(you will have to be master carving turn)

Next.
1. stance(Guffy or Regular)
2. binding degree front(5-10) back(0)
You can change 5 degree of both binding with same direction, when you ready carving turns.
3. use and feel the hill and toe to understand the terms of Edge.
4. once you're able to turn any direction, Try different degree of binding(Strongly recommend)
5. up and down. use your body weight.
6. Start carving.

Try out from the low slope, if you ever tried ski or skateboard, you will learn it fast tho. weigting is imporstant.

Last edited by MJ_G_35; 12-26-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Pa. G Squad (Philly)
Originally Posted by OvaYahead
this thread really sucks to see when your stuck at work. I need to get to the snow!

are you boarding out here in CA or PA, koreangrl? I want to board with some forum people.

I boarded out in San Diego last year...Big Bear? or something like that. That was great! I usually board in PA though, since it is where I live and closer.

I want to get a group of us snowboarders from the forums out to the mtn so we will see what I can coordinate come February or March. Yer welcome to join us.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:42 AM
I am sooooo down for this!

Set it up Shelah and I AM THERE!!!

Can i have a G-Squad sticker to put on my Board? hahaha

Old 12-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Pa. G Squad (Philly)
Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
I am sooooo down for this!

Set it up Shelah and I AM THERE!!!

Can i have a G-Squad sticker to put on my Board? hahaha

I will, I will...maybe I will do a poll first and see where people want to go. I guess it has to be in the Poconos. I know most New Yawkers go to Camelback. Hmmmmmm. Any thoughts?

Old 12-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Went to Sierra at Tahoe yesterday. The snow was awesome! So much fresh powder. You all need to go ASAP! It wasn't that busy either. The bunny slope was always the busiest but all of the other runs are totally free. No one really to crash into.

As far as transportation goes we drove my wifes Envoy XL that has 4WD. No chains needed with 4WD. I would never drive my G out there.

Hope to see you guys/girl out there soon.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by koreangrl
I boarded out in San Diego last year...Big Bear? or something like that. That was great! I usually board in PA though, since it is where I live and closer.

I want to get a group of us snowboarders from the forums out to the mtn so we will see what I can coordinate come February or March. Yer welcome to join us.
sweet! it's spring skiing season, but I'm still down.