Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Monterey Run? . . . Who would be interested?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Monterey Run? . . . Who would be interested?

Drove down to Monterey yesterday to visit a couple of friends and have dinner. In doing so, we attempted to layout a Monterey Run, as well. I didn't want to push down to the Carmel/Big Sur area because of some of the logistics involved for a potentially large group.

Anyhow . . . I am planning this for sometime from mid June to mid July. The Start/Meeting area would be the Serramonte Shopping Center parking lot, again. I was going to select another spot down the road. However, since everyone is already familiar with Serramonte, why change it.

I would like to start the run via Devil's Slide on Hwy. 1. If the this roadway is still closed due the rain damage, we will take the same starting Santa Cruz route and drive over the 92 down to Half Moon Bay and hook up to Hwy. 1 from there. We would travel south via Hwy. 1 through Santa Cruz and end up at the Monterey Fisherman's Wharf. There may be 1 stop at a "Vista Point" minutes south of Santa Cruz, so that people with bad knees and backs, like myself, can stretch for a few minutes.

Carol and I spoke with a couple of restaurant managers on the Wharf. We found a couple of places for a large group to eat at. After sharing a meal, downtown Monterey is a very short walk by foot. Cannery Row can be gotten to by a long walk or a short drive. There are plenty of things to do afterwards. The parking rate at the Fisherman's Wharf outdoor parking lot is $0.75 per 1/2 hour or fraction of.

The weather was absolutely beautiful, yesterday. The temperature was in the low to mid 60's. Here are a few pics. This is a feeler to gauge interest for a Monterey Run. I have all of the turn by turn driving instructions already. Those whom are interested, please chime in. Based on the response, I will forged ahead. Here are a few pics. Sorry, didn't want to get out of the car to get better pics. We were running a bit late.

Hwy. 1 heading toward Santa Cruz . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Monterey Bay . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-09-2006, 01:27 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm game. i've been to monterey a bunch of times and i like it. wine tasting in monterey county is excellent

Old 04-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I missed out on the Santa Cruz II run. I will do whatever it takes to make it to this one...

Old 04-09-2006, 01:48 PM
I like monteray

Old 04-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Thumbs up

It is a beautiful drive down Highway 1 through Monterey and in to Carmel. I would certainly be up for it even if we didn't go that far South.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Setarcos
It is a beautiful drive down Highway 1 through Monterey and in to Carmel. I would certainly be up for it even if we didn't go that far South.
Yeah, Monterey is definitely in stone. I will do a formal dry run, in about a month, and see if Carmel/Big Sur is in the cards. The Big Sur area is nature at one its best. Carol and I will probably do this next dry run during a Bed n Breakfast weekend.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
I have made the run down Highway 1 many times and it remains one of our (GF and I) very favorite drives. I am definitely down for this meet and will be bringing along the GF if the date permits.

PS - We actually drive down Highway 1 all the way to San Simeon(sp?) now. We'll be doing it again June 12th for my Gf's B-day.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:09 AM
I will be in Monterey early of June for a whole week of work meeting. I would make it if the Monterey run sometime in early of June. :-), keep me post!
pd

Old 04-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I am down for this one depending on the date. I'll keep an eye for more details. =-)

Old 04-10-2006, 01:03 PM
this sounds like an even better drive... i'll look forward to joining this one....

Old 04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe... i was not at all impressed with cannery row... sh1thole.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:37 PM
I lived in Monterey for 3 years during college....it's a sweet place for cruising around, Hwy 1 is a blast. There are plenty of great places to eat on cannery row as well as on the wharf and in downtown. I have taken several drives down past Big Sur and it's a blast everytime. If we wanted a great place to eat, Nepenthe has an amazing view and great food, however it is a little pricey and it is down near Big Sur. It sits up on the Cliff about 400ft over the ocean and you can see 60 miles of coastline from the patio. It's a great little spot to eat, especially for a special occassion. In conclusion.....im down to roll, let's do the damn thing.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:42 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just curious, how long is the drive from monterey to big sur? i'm going on a road trip late april along highway 1 (san luis obispo, santa barbara, laguna beach, san diego)

Old 04-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Fox233,

Nepenthe is a usual stop for my wife and I. The views are absolutely gorgeous from up there. Carol and I thought about it, but we were concerned about the parking for a large number of cars.

I have set up a poll for the Monterey Run. I would love to cruise down to Big Sur with our G pals after lunch at the Wharf. I am concerned about getting everyone there together. Have any ideas?

Old 04-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Giri,

You know, I have never timed the drive to Big Sur. We usually do a Bed n Breakfast in Carmel and head out for a nice drive after. I would venture a guess that Big Sur is some 30 to 40 minutes out of Carmel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Monterey Run? . . . Who would be interested?