Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Relocating to SF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 03:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
brittain,

Think about living outside of The City and commuting to work. You may want to consider an area with access to BART.

Considering all the astronomical increases your looking at, I hope this job has a decent salary to compensate. Otherwise is it worth the move?

Old 05-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now what are all the good points... haha!

Old 05-14-2006, 01:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D87

Definitely look into the neighborhoods before you commit to anything, most of the friendly folks on this board can tell you which ones to avoid (the price would probably give you a good indication too).

This is true. When I moved up here, one of the members (Shane) took a bunch of pictures of the complex and neighborhood I wanted to move into. People here can give you a better unbiased review of the area. Much better than what the apt. complex will give you.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:29 AM
D87
Originally Posted by Hooman6MT
This is true. When I moved up here, one of the members (Shane) took a bunch of pictures of the complex and neighborhood I wanted to move into. People here can give you a better unbiased review of the area. Much better than what the apt. complex will give you.

Yeah I followed that thread. You were lucky because you knew the complex you wanted to move into (how is it, by the way?). I can't imagine how difficult it would be to just pickup an ad and try to find a place to live in totally unfamiliar territory.

Cru is right, alot of people who work in SF don't live here. Daly City is a good option - it's just south of SF (like within a mile) and pretty safe and clean. Plus they have A LOT of new home construction there, so you might be able to find a nice place to rent. Only reason some might not like it is that the public transit there isn't great but if you drive and have a place to park in the city then no problem. Also, you wouldn't have to cross any bridges like the Golden Gate or the Bay Bridge like you would if you live Oakland or Novato.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I just found out its the office isnt in SF, its in Livermore. Living out that way would probably be better than being right downtown because apartments will be cheaper, parking wont be as bad, and from what I can tell, the weather is better out there. Ive heard Livermore isnt the best area, what do you guys think? What about pleasanton?

They are flying me out for a couple of days this week, so I'll get a better idea of where I want to be.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Dublin/Pleasanton is a good idea - you'll have access to BART to get to the North/upper east bay and SF (and airports), you will have to drive to work though (but it'll be 580 east in the morning, so not too bad - it's west that's a killer in the AM). It's a reasonably nice area, like all cities it has good hoods and bad ones. It'll be way cheaper than in SF too. Weather is typically nicer in the East Bay than right in the city as well.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:35 PM
avoid BayArea

Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by brittain
I just found out its the office isnt in SF, its in Livermore. Living out that way would probably be better than being right downtown because apartments will be cheaper, parking wont be as bad, and from what I can tell, the weather is better out there. Ive heard Livermore isnt the best area, what do you guys think? What about pleasanton?

They are flying me out for a couple of days this week, so I'll get a better idea of where I want to be.
Livermore isn't bad. It's still a growing community. There are some old parts and some new. Look into Pleasanton, Dublin or San Ramon. I lived in the Dublin / San Ramon area for a couple of years and I loved it. My GF just moved into an apt. in San Ramon. There are not many bad areas at all and a low crime rate. Lots of white folk, so you'll fit right in. They have good schools out that way as well.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Pleasanton and San Ramon area is a very nice area to live. A bit crowded out here and still very expensive, but you don't have to worry as much about your car. It would still be more affordable to live in Livermore. Also the further you travel north on 680, the prices typically lower, such as towards Concord/Walnut Creek area, and the scenery gets a lot better. It would be about a 30-45 min commute back to Livermore in the morning. 20-30 minutes without traffic.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Come on guys! dont try to scare these SF new comers (brittain). We all know much about SF, just try to look at in on the fun side!! :-)

**Brittain, you have to live there for some time to have a taste of it. Just enjoy your new city experience! Hopefully, the rest of other great things will come together in time! :-)
pd

Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the info, guys. I just got home from a 2 day trip to SF. Saw a TON of beautiful women and several Gs. Gas is $3.60 out there!!! It turns out the company doesnt want me in Livermore, they want me downtown, so much so that they are going to subsidize my rent- which is freakin' awesome. Within the next few days we'll iron out the details on salary, but Im 99% sure I'll take this job. Im sure I'll have more questions for you guys as I get closer to moving.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Thanks for all the info, guys. I just got home from a 2 day trip to SF. Saw a TON of beautiful women and several Gs. Gas is $3.60 out there!!! It turns out the company doesnt want me in Livermore, they want me downtown, so much so that they are going to subsidize my rent- which is freakin' awesome. Within the next few days we'll iron out the details on salary, but Im 99% sure I'll take this job. Im sure I'll have more questions for you guys as I get closer to moving.
Congrats on the new promotion then! Good luck!

Old 05-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats...make sure you still get a good salary.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the Bay Area.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Sedan
Congrats on the new position bro. The subsidized rent is SWEET! Let us know when you get here and we'll grab a beer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Relocating to SF?