Picture Share Pics of your or others' rides!

Ok change of plan, Nikon d50 guys come in.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2006 | 02:30 PM
_jb
Photographer
Premier Member
I think the fellow suggesting you use manual mode was kidding you. I'd use the automatic and semi-automatic modes to get you started. Modern DSLR's do an amazing job of capturing a scene. Try the automatic modes first, then use Manual if something fools the camera's meters.

For out door pictures of cars in good light, try setting the mode to Aperture Priority... the ISO to 100... the aperture to F/8.0... and take some pictures.

For indoor shots, or any low lighting shots, change the aperture to the widest opening your lens has... like F/1.8 or F/2.0... and make a few test shots... if they are still dark, try bumping the ISO to 400, 800, or 1600. You'll see the pictures start coming around.

There is quite a learning curve when switching from a fully automatic camera to a SLR. Don't give up! The trick is to practice and study to see how the pictures turn out. You usually take lots of bad pictures before you start taking better pictures.

Here's a link to a freeware viewer, Irfanview, that is very useful. It's a good viewer of images in general and has a lot of cool features. Download and install the Plug-Ins too. One of the tricks is to use Irfanview to look at all the EXIF settings in an image. They'll show you exactly what camera settings were in use when the picture was taken. Very useful for figuring out what is goin on... Have fun...

Old 12-21-2006 | 02:32 PM
_jb
Photographer
Premier Member
Originally Posted by 98intrigue
Post some pictures!

p.s. My camera shipped today...should be here the day after Xmas. Talk about a Xmas present to myself....
Congratulations, Ryan!

I'm glad to see you getting a nice Digital SLR. You'll love it... You ave a great eye for photography... we're expecting some good pictures from you!

Old 12-21-2006 | 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by _jb

Nice G... Nice pictures... Laser Red rocks...
Thanks. LR is the best!

Old 12-21-2006 | 09:35 PM
|
Never enough
Originally Posted by _jb
I think the fellow suggesting you use manual mode was kidding you. I'd use the automatic and semi-automatic modes to get you started. Modern DSLR's do an amazing job of capturing a scene. Try the automatic modes first, then use Manual if something fools the camera's meters.

For out door pictures of cars in good light, try setting the mode to Aperture Priority... the ISO to 100... the aperture to F/8.0... and take some pictures.

For indoor shots, or any low lighting shots, change the aperture to the widest opening your lens has... like F/1.8 or F/2.0... and make a few test shots... if they are still dark, try bumping the ISO to 400, 800, or 1600. You'll see the pictures start coming around.

There is quite a learning curve when switching from a fully automatic camera to a SLR. Don't give up! The trick is to practice and study to see how the pictures turn out. You usually take lots of bad pictures before you start taking better pictures.

Here's a link to a freeware viewer, Irfanview, that is very useful. It's a good viewer of images in general and has a lot of cool features. Download and install the Plug-Ins too. One of the tricks is to use Irfanview to look at all the EXIF settings in an image. They'll show you exactly what camera settings were in use when the picture was taken. Very useful for figuring out what is goin on... Have fun...
Ive been trying it all. I shot a bunch on auto mode then manual mode. Im really into photo's that have effect to them. Thats why I want to learn manual mode more. Seems like Ive learned a bunch already from this site and the manual that came with the camera. All in all I guess its just going to take time with lots of shots. Thanks for the link Ill be sure to try that out.
Anyone know what kind of lens this was shot with?

Attached Thumbnails Ok change of plan, Nikon d50 guys come in.-_igp0222.jpg  
Old 12-21-2006 | 10:49 PM
_jb
Photographer
Premier Member
Originally Posted by G352NV
All in all I guess its just going to take time with lots of shots. Thanks for the link Ill be sure to try that out.
You're welcome. Have fun shooting!

Anyone know what kind of lens this was shot with?
Pentax...

Old 12-21-2006 | 11:32 PM
|
Never enough
Wow thats cool!

Old 12-21-2006 | 11:46 PM
seems like a fisheye lens

Old 12-27-2006 | 05:35 PM
|
Never enough
Kind of sux that the weather is shiet. I did have a chance to take a couple photos of things other then family while at the parents house. Ive been trying to learn how to shoot where one thing is in focus and the thing further is not. There was a flower close to my parents deck and with the barn in the background I thought I would give it a shot. I know its the dead of winter so the flower isnt all that but you get the idea. Man I cant wait for spring!

Attached Thumbnails Ok change of plan, Nikon d50 guys come in.-picture-022.jpg   Ok change of plan, Nikon d50 guys come in.-picture-023.jpg   Ok change of plan, Nikon d50 guys come in.-picture-024.jpg  
Old 12-27-2006 | 08:21 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
welcome to the world of photography steve.

i landed myself in the canon crowd and just started gathering parts of the puzzle.

canon xti
canon 24-105 mm f/4L IS
bogen/manfrotto 3021BPRO tripod and 322RC2 head
b+w 77 mm MRC UV filter

-future plans include the canon 10-22mm lens

i really don't know much about photography, but with the right tools, there's plenty of time to learn

Old 12-28-2006 | 08:13 AM
Ive been trying to learn how to shoot where one thing is in focus and the thing further is not. There was a flower close to my parents deck and with the barn in the background I thought I would give it a shot. I know its the dead of winter so the flower isnt all that but you get the idea. Man I cant wait for spring!
You'd want to adjust Aperture (F stop) for that blurred effect. The lower the f stop # the more blurred background (bokeh) and vice versa.

Here's a basic tutorial guide that may help you a bit.
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

Last edited by conesweeper; 12-28-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2006 | 02:01 AM
_jb
Photographer
Premier Member
Nice shots... did you use manual focus or adjust the focus point to be over the flower?