Picture Share Pics of your or others' rides!

Might be trading in my G for this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did some research. I do not except all of you to read this whole thing but I will post anyway. I found out how to import it and how to determine what the VIN numbers really mean. The R33 I am looking at is a legit GT-R. I would just need to make sure I have all the right paper work to get it registered in the state of NJ.

Alright, so I searched the threads and didn't find any on this topic, so I thought I would start one. This topic will consist of:

Importing a Skyline to the United States, eBay, Autotrader, and similar car website SCAMS from private sellers. Questioning the legality of a Skyline you are considering for purchase, and how to read into Skyline chassis codes (so you arent buying a "GTR" to only receive a GTS).

From one of my last posts about buying a possible Skyline for an amazing price, I performed quite a bit of research and have found out alot about the Nissan Skyline, its importation to the U.S. (through Motorex and other means) and issues with "grey" imported Skylines in the states.

Importing a Nissan Skyline. Some say it's impossible to import and have a Nissan Skyline Federalized (i.e. 100%, 48 State Legal) these days after Motorex went under. However, After extensive research of NHTSA and DOT dockets and petitions, ANY R33 GTS-GTR Skylines manufactured between January 1996-June 1998 are ELIGIBLE for importation into the US (website REF: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...elig010807.pdf ).

The reason why the NHTSA rescinded a good part of the legal importation of Sklines were due to the fact some safety features on the R32's and early R33's weren't standard. And the R32 and R34's were listed under the the R33 crash tests, and Nissan sent information to the NHTSA stating that upon the changes in models, so did the chassis. In order for certain R32 and R34's to be legally imported again, they must first be sacrificed to crash tests, as motorex did with the R33's
(website REF: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p83/374325.pdf )

As far as I know, you can still legally import and federalize Skyline R33's into the states through an Registered Importer. you can find and contact RI's through the NHTSA website, or you can be lazy and go straigh to this link here:
(http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...list010807.htm )

The ONLY OTHER WAY TO BUY A 100% LEGAL, FEDERALIZED, NISSAN SKYLINE IS TO BUY A SKYLINE THAT WAS IMPORTED BY MOTOREX, OR A MOTOREX SKYLINE THAT WAS PURCHASED THROUGH RBmotoring.

ALL Motorex/RBmotoring Skylines have new VINS and should come will all DOT, NHTSA, and bond release documents. If they don't, you can always call the DOT and give them the VIN on the Skyline and they will tell you then and there if it is a federalized skyline.

Federalized skylines are the only TRUE and LEGAL Skylines in the U.S that are permissable to drive on US roadways.

There are Skylines that have made it into the states without going through motorex, and if you buy one, and drive it on the road, you are taking a big risk of getting the car deported or crushed. These cars were brought in as "Kit cars" and are grey market imports, they are ways to circumvent the DOT, NHTSA, and EPA laws governming over imported vehicles, and if they catch you, it will DEPORTED or CRUSHED at your expense.

Yes some come with US titles and registrations, I know for a fact the state of florida, as well as many other states, do not have strict emmissions or registration laws for imported vehicles, and you can get them titled and registered, and even insured. But if you EVER take it to a state that has more laws, they can catch you and report you, and thats bad. how bad you want a skyline and how much you are willing to risk, is up to you.

To date, theres only about 120 or so FEDERALIZED Skylines in the states, so finding one may not be easy, or cheap. But I personally would much rather invest in a sure thing, then risk paying a few thousand less and get it deported.

eBay, Autotrader, and the like: (SCAMS):

the biggest scam i have seen to date with Skylines, is people posing like they own the car, and telling you to go through a third party escrow service to "hold the money for you" until "you receive the car" and then once you check it out, you "release the funds to the owner" deal complete right? wrong

they set up a fake escrow business that they say they have used for years and are a trusted company, you wire the money to them, and they can pick up the funds anywhere in the world in minutes.. no refund. so be careful.

number one rule about buying a car, is always set up a way to make sure its legit. pay in person, after inspecting the car IN PERSON, or send funds through a secured and INSURED method. always talk and make sure its legit. do carfax vehicle reports on vins, and with skylines, call DOT and make sure it is a legal skyline.

also make sure tis what they say it is.. you dont wanna send money to a guy claiming its a GTR only to recieve a GTS! heres how you tell.. VINS on skyline look alot like this: BNR34-00132

Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Hold out for an R-34 dude really.

Research the cars and figure out why you want it. If you don't know the difference between an R-32/33/34/35 then you really should not be buying a skyline. Join a forum for American Skylines and talk to those guys. Figure out everything, you should know as much about the R-33 as you do the G.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by HarrisonK
I agree, I don't know to much I've just been following it for a while but I never really knew the differences between r32-r35. I didn't really know because I never thought I could buy one, now that there is a possibility of me getting one, I am doing much more research.

By the way, I found out this is a true GT-R, not a GTS or what ever the other ones are. I also found out a lot of useful info about importing, I will post a write up in a few min, but it will be in a new post so people don't have to read the whole thing.
I don't mean to come across as a dick or anything, I'm just looking out for your best interests.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
^ No worries, it is nice to have someone to tell me what I should be doing differently so I don't get f*cked over.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 PM
easy way to tell if its a gtr or not is by the VIN. BCNR33 is a real gtr, anything else is not! I'm in the process of selling my G35 that was TT'd...because I did buy a BCNR33 (an old motorex car) So I know exactly what you are thinking.

Just be careful...the feds are actively looking and checking.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
youre going off pure adrenaline..the interior is a piece of shieet and you dont even know the companys legitmacy..so i vote NO! overrated car and mods will be hard to come by

Old 08-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd never buy a car I hadn't seen
the laws for importing cars to Florida (well, most of the 50 states) r wayyyyyy easier than importing to California btw, that's nice for u
Whatever happens, keep us posted

Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you mean that skyline? I saw that one. It was very cheap though..and condition wasn't good. You should go to Japan and fix everything and bring it to USA. 55000 miles isn't bad though. Ur choice!