Picture Share Pics of your or others' rides!

All Black Obsidian Coupes Post pics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Oil consumption on the current engine. Snuck up on me quick and have been adding a bit more than a quart between 3k oil changes lol. Time to start over so trying to get the replacement built up as much as I can to limit my downtime. Not going crazy with it, but will be better than stock ever was so that's a plus

It's going to take me a while, wish it were a quick process but I'm not going to rush it. Money's a little tighter than it should be when you're doing a build of any type and my back's too jacked up work for too long at a time so I wouldn't expect a lot of updates quickly lol.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Ahhhhhh oil consumption lol. That's shitty. Throwing in any extra power to the new engine? And I can relate to the tight funds lol. Been itching to buy some new parts buuuuut my wallet's not cooperating haha.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Some yeah, but I don't really have a hp goal in mind. I just want it strong and reliable enough to beat on again, and I know how hard it is to get 300whp NA so anything close I'll be happy with. Doing quite a bit to the car while it's down. New engine's getting a Z1 stage 2 11.0:1 rebuild kit, probably .020 over (had 90k on it so I'm assuming it'll be needed) and since I'm stripping the heads down to clean I'll have them ported/polished and keep an eye out for a deal on used cams (hoping to find something in the 264ish range) and get new/better valve springs, etc. I've got a set of PPE longtube headers to install on the new one, a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft and MD Gamma single exhaust on the way. I've got an MREV2 and 5/16" spacer on the current motor that'll be carried over and some ideas to modify the intake for a larger throttle body (using an 09+ Maxima throttle body). After all that it's a matter of picking a lightweight flywheel w/new clutch and possibly larger injectors to keep up with the extra air flow. I'll wrap it all up with an uprev/osiris tune and call it a day.

Once all that's done and running I can finally get back to the body work and try to pull the fenders enough to drop my negative camber / get non-stretched tires and be able to enjoy driving again lol.

That's pretty much the rough outline, I probably missed something but it's close. I think if I get all that done by June I'll be lucky lol. I'm too stubborn (and broke) to pay someone else to do the work so it'll just be me and some friends, we'll see what happens I guess.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Those are some nice plans.. Good luck with it all..

The following users liked this post:
OBsessed (03-28-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New member here. 06 6mt coupe black on black premium package 57k mi, stock..

Name:  IMG_20130303_134425_zpsff7e7140.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  107.7 KB
Name:  IMG_20130303_125241_zps6fed9193.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  175.1 KB

Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Those are some nice plans. And its good that you HAVE a plan lol, I've helped friends with swaps/builds and they just go in blind and end up wasting a lot of money. I'm surprised you didn't opt for an aftermarket plenum too, but it sounds like you'll make some nice gains either way. Just make sure there's some beer around and I'm sure it'll all go smoothly lol.

Originally Posted by leonardo_06G35
New member here. 06 6mt coupe black on black premium package 57k mi, stock..

Welcome dude. Nice clean slate you got there Now go get rid of that wheel gap haha

Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
I can't see spending the money on an aftermarket plenum for an NA build when I've already got the MREV2 and spacer to take from the current engine. They're a pretty good combo. It might become necessary if I can max out air volume with a new throttle body but I don't know yet. I've only seen a couple guys do it and I'm not even sure they know for sure lol. I'm also not 100% I can make a larger throttle body work yet, that's a little more long term so I'll deal with a planum change later if needed.

Leonardo, nice and clean man. Any plans? Welcome aboard!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM
RCL
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice and clean!!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by OBsessed
Leonardo, nice and clean man. Any plans? Welcome aboard!
Thanks. I don't plan on doing much to it these cars are damn sexy just the way they are from the factory I think. No body kits or aftermarket bumpers. Just got my JDM clear corners on, thinking about whether I want to drop it on lowering springs or not. The ride already seems pretty stiff with the sports suspension, how different is it with lets say 1" drop coils with progressive rates of course? I'd fix the camber at the same time. Maybe turbo sometime in the future if I start feeling like the car is to slow but that will be far down the road, we'll see.. Other then those maybe a few things with interior like audio, shift ****, etc. Want to keep it clean thats the main thing.

The following users liked this post:
Frankieg35 (03-31-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 PM
You'll find some good info in the Brakes & Suspension subforum below this one. If you decide to do coilovers I'd recommend Stance (they ride better than you'd expect and have the ability to go lower than you'd want). Lots of options out there though, and a good bit of reference material around here if you look hard enough, didn't do springs so can't help ya there. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 AM
Damn RCL, those TE's are dope. Ride looks great.

Thanks. I don't plan on doing much to it these cars are damn sexy just the way they are from the factory I think. No body kits or aftermarket bumpers. Just got my JDM clear corners on, thinking about whether I want to drop it on lowering springs or not. The ride already seems pretty stiff with the sports suspension, how different is it with lets say 1" drop coils with progressive rates of course? I'd fix the camber at the same time. Maybe turbo sometime in the future if I start feeling like the car is to slow but that will be far down the road, we'll see.. Other then those maybe a few things with interior like audio, shift ****, etc. Want to keep it clean thats the main thing.
If I remember correctly 350z Tein springs should give around a 1" drop. I know for sure that they go lower than the G ones though. Not too keen on springs myself either as I went coils too, but just a suggestion.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by CheeWho?
Damn RCL, those TE's are dope. Ride looks great.

If I remember correctly 350z Tein springs should give around a 1" drop. I know for sure that they go lower than the G ones though. Not too keen on springs myself either as I went coils too, but just a suggestion.
Thanks for the info I'll keep the 350z Teins in mind. I had coilovers on my other car and got fed up with greasing the bearings all the time on the fronts (had to do it about once a month otherwise the spring would start binding when turning) and the threads always got clogged with dirt making it a pain to adjust (wet weather a lot here), also had to cut off spring perches from the strut when I needed to replace shock absorber. The coilovers for the G are designed better I'm guessing but previous experiences just make me want to go with a lowering spring instead.. We'll see, I'll be sure to put up some updated pics whatever I choose.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
U don't have to do any of that with coilovers on a g35.. lol

Old 03-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
Thanks for the info I'll keep the 350z Teins in mind. I had coilovers on my other car and got fed up with greasing the bearings all the time on the fronts (had to do it about once a month otherwise the spring would start binding when turning) and the threads always got clogged with dirt making it a pain to adjust (wet weather a lot here), also had to cut off spring perches from the strut when I needed to replace shock absorber. The coilovers for the G are designed better I'm guessing but previous experiences just make me want to go with a lowering spring instead.. We'll see, I'll be sure to put up some updated pics whatever I choose.
Jeez that sounds like a pita.
Coilovers are the best bet for these cars. Just get a set of BC Racing (or Stance if you wanna go real low) and that way you already get new shocks since I'm sure your shocks are getting old based on how long Gs stopped being made (unless you changed them already)
All you need is get the coilovers installed and get a rear camber kit. You can also already buy the set that comes with those two things and you are done

That way you can lower it as much as you want, and once you get there, determine the harshness of the ride. Progressive springs arent very good for the G and create sometimes an unpredictable handling environmet

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: All Black Obsidian Coupes Post pics!