Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

MREV+, headers, cats, sways just INSTALLED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MREV+, headers, cats, sways just INSTALLED

Installed on '05 6MT coupe, w/ 2,700 miles, at my local speed shop. I'm running the OEM Y-pipe and rear-section

Well, I picked the car up Friday afternoon but I wanted to get some seat time before commenting. Because I had all of these items installed at the same time, it's hard to know exactly what each part is doing for me, but I've got a pretty good idea from years of seat/mod time and my intimate outings with the G in our 2,700 miles so far.

Before anyone asks, I doubt that I'll post video/sound clips as my results sound very similar to what has already been posted here. Likewise, the nearest dyno is likely 4 hours away, so the butt dyno and my increased joy with the G are all you have to go on.

MREV+: I can definately feel the destinguished pull of the MREV+ above 4000RPM, but it may even be apparent just before that. It adds a nice kick just where it was needed, making 2nd gear seem much more like it should have from the factory. 3rd always pulled better and was nice, but now it pulls even faster. The install was reported to be very easy.

NISMO Headers: First of all, I had these coated with JetHot2000, which I know cut down just a bit on the noise level. I can hear the increased airflow of the headers. Install was apparently a PITA due to finding the proper order of the studs when installing them. Limited room dictated a specific order to be able to get everything bolted down. I suggest using a shop that's had experience with the NISMO headers on the G if you want a minimal install time. Headers alone were about $600-$650, as it took the guy 18 hours to get the OEM units off and then the PITA of trial-and-error to get the proper order of the stud-reinstall. Others can certainly decrease the install time and cost. Headers were more than anticipated, but it was made up everywhere else.

Crawford Cats: These are really what are allowing the increased volume. With only coated headers, the noise level would have remained close to stock, IMO. Just as with the headers, I can feel the increased flow. Cats and headers seem to provide plenty of flow for an NA G.

Overall impression of this combo: Very nice. The noise is louder, but not nearly as loud as I thought it would be. Must partially be the JetHot2000. I'm happy with the sound. The G feels a bit lighter now and there seems to be this overall lack of... ...resistance. While the increased airflow feels like it cost a tad of TQ off the line, it seems like it's really just this lack of resistance, as the car moves away faster and generally feels quicker/lighter than before. I know it's not just the increase in exhaust sound because this feeling is before the exhaust gets vocal. Hard to explain, but this is a good example:

When I'm on the highway and shift up (I was leaving 4th when I noticed), I no longer feel the slight pause in forward momentum during the shift. The G now keeps gliding forward at the same speed (it seems) all through the shift. It seems hungry for speed now.

Likewise, the G isn't so fussy about smooth shifts and the trademark annoyances are gone. Shifts all engage smoothly now and... ...I can drive with the A/C on without a single lurch during any shift. Sounds stupid, I know, but previously any shift to 2nd with the A/C on was pretty rough and required perfect timing to avoid a lurch. I never use the A/C so I hadn't gotten it down perfect... ...so I'd never use the A/C . That's changed completely. All of the increased airflow seems to have made the G much more forgiving and loosened the tight mechanical feeling (engine/tranny only) that sometimes made the drive so finicky before. Those long-time manual-trans drivers that still feel a little green with the G would greatly appreciate the improved driveability.

The G's exhaust note is very similar to stock, only louder and it starts the characteristic growl just above 2000rpm instead of at 3k. Keeping your foot light can actually keep things quite everywhere, including the characteristic 3k growl. Of course, a heavy foot results in a louder note and a mean-*** growl from 2500rpm on up to redline. I think the HKS Dual Ti would be louder on it's own, but I don't think the performance/driveability results would be impacted so positively.

In all, it now just seems like there's no resistance in the motor/trans to increasing speed, along with the definate feel of a bump in power. I'd say the MREV+ delivered and the cats/headers were good for another 15 or so seat-of-the-pants HP. My butt is pretty tuned, and I feel a nice improvement. That's nice, but the improved driving experience is also a great benefit that I never expected. Overall, the G wouldn't get pegged as such a pig if it performed like this from the factory. Nice overall package, for sure. Of course, the exhaust note would be too loud for a lot of the mainstream buyers.

NISMO Sways (F&R): Haven't run the G really hard in the twisties yet, but the car just seems to track straighter even while just cruising. It feels more solid and... ...new. The hard corners I tested on showed a decrease in body roll, as expected. The G now feels like it handles flatter than it did originally, with less than 50 miles on it and the suspension not even broken-in and loosened up. My brief slide (at my secluded turn ideal for it ) was flat as can be and definately showed me that the sticky-but-skinny OEM tires are now an extremely limiting factor . And I thought the OEM G coupe handled flat and had sticky tires before these sways.

Total installation cost was $950. It all worked out great for me and everything came in well under what I had budgeted. That's always the key for me.

I have a Z-tube on the way (I know, not worth anything, but still), as well and the NISMO clutch, flywheel, roller-bearing pilot-bushing and the SGP ss/braided clutch-line... ...as well as brake lines and a pad upgrade. I'm still considering having ACPT fabricate a CF driveshaft for the G. Other than that, not much planned for future mods. I would like more NA power at some point... ...but I'm not clear on exactly what route to go. Sorry, FI guys, my climate just isn't real suitable for it. The FI route wasn't simply ignored completely.

I'm very tempted to install the new NISMO Y-pipe that I have (and haven't sold yet). The only thing keeping me from it is the concern that I'll lose some TQ with this specific combo.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 05-30-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After a week, the G is still running the same and I'm really enjoying it. I can't wait for colder weather, as it's 104 today. It's days like this that made a strong argument for staying NA. Oh well. At least I can still feel the improvement this combo made. It's really going to feel strong when things cool off. I've been taking a Friday/Saturday night cruise after the kids go to bed, and the temp. has cooled to the 80's, just to enjoy it more.

My NISMO clutch and flywheel should arrive today. The stock clutch has some miles still left on it (3K miles currently on the G), so I shouldn't be in any hurry to get it installed. Fact is, I'm already a little anxious and would like to install it soon, just to get the revs up into the mid-range faster.

My typical, around-town shifts at 3,000rpm are usually close to 4,000rpm now, just before the kick of the MREV+. Overall, it revs a little easier, but I think it's also me playing the exhaust that encourages the higher shift-point during cruising.

As others have pointed out, even when the addition in only the MREV+, 6th gear is only OD... ...as you're really encouraged (and rewarded ) for running in 5th on the highway. 4th screams on the highway when it's needed.

And, on this 104 degree day, my AC kept me cool without being a PITA on smooth driving. I'm loving the combo... ...and just want more. Heads, etc. would round this NA baby out very nicely!

Last edited by GT-Ron; 06-05-2006 at 01:41 PM.