Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

RPS Clutch and Flywheel plus Crawford HFC

Old 06-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPS Clutch and Flywheel plus Crawford HFC

Well I just got the RPS CYn-R-G flywheel and Sport Street disc clutch installed yesterday along with Crawford high flow cats.

First impression is WOW! Clutch is extremely easy to operate with a slightly firmer than stock but crisp. The flywheel is certainly not too light as some may fear and revs happily. I weighed it at exactly 18.0 pounds as advertised. I am going to weigh the stock one (which is a hefty piece just from picking it up!) later, but more on the RPS! My installer, Knowledge Performance in Atlanta did a great job, and he noted that this was one of the highest quality flywheels he had ever seen! He commented on the fact that all of the screws are welded for added safety and the overall design was very top notch! The car revs quicker than stock, but just for those who are scared that it makes the car more difficult to drive, I did not stall 1 time on my 50 minute drive home, which included stop and go traffic. By the time I made it home, the clutch felt natural and hardly noticed it. Ohh, and best of all...NO MIXER NOISE! You cannot hear anything at idle, inside or outside the car. I cant wait to really start running through the gears (I'm still babying it to make sure everything is seated right) I highly recommend this set-up!

As for the crawford cats, they went in perfectly, no problems whatsoever. The sound is a little louder than my set up was before, but no raspiness at all. I cant comment on power gains yet, because the Dynopak unfortunately died on us when we started tuning the car ...stupid computers....

Anyways, I'm taking the car back to get tuned sometime late next week when hopefully the dyno will be fixed and then i can see how much power im putting down. I am really anxious to see how much the U-tec can gain this time around , especially as some of you know of my careless intake leak and "restrictor plate" issue I had last time it was tuned So next week i'll hopefully have everything dialed in and running good.

If there are any questions, let me know.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:19 PM
what made you go with this flywheel/clutch setup over all the others? just want to know what you though about b4 the purchase cause i've been researching this mod myself

Old 06-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Z1 Motorsports recommended RPS because they said that they see longer life out of their clutches than with some of the others. I also did research on this forum and no one had said anything negative about the set-up, so I went for it. Alot of the poeple that get this set up go with the Max series clutch; however, I plan on staying N/A and the sport series should be good for 400hp, so I chose it.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the RPS flywheel with the 6 puck clutch. I have noticed that after I put on about 20k miles on my setup the throwout bearing noise has come back but not as bad as before...

Old 06-15-2006, 09:57 AM
I heard that a 6-puck clutch will wear a flywheel alot and require the replacement/resurfacing of a flywheel after around 15-20k miles. I dont know if its true or not, but that may be the reason u have some noise. Anyone else know about this?

Old 06-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it wont... i talked to the guys at rps alot before i opted for the 6 puck over the sport...the noise is just common noise the guys at rps said the same thing

Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Has the flywheel stayed quite? Are you still satisfied with the clutch/flywheel combo? Where did you get the clutch/flywheel and how much did you pay? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get some research done!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:39 AM
I will say that the flywheel did get slightly louder(more chattery). I only notice it when im in a drive through or something where there is a wall next to the car and windows are down. I am still very satisfied with the flywheel and clutch and it is very easy to drive. I would recommend a SS clutch line if you are going to be in very hot climate with stop and go traffic( aka atlanta)