Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Final numbers are in: revup+bolt ons+utec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Final numbers are in: revup+bolt ons+utec

I attended a concert in Atlanta this past Friday evening, and had Sharif install and tune a utec the following day.

Last summer, my car put down 240hp STD on his dyno dynamics. At the time, I had a stillen airbox, ztube, mrev, crawford cats, and stillen sedan exhaust. My best baseline run on Saturday only put down 237hp STD; this is with a new longblock(~1500 miles), kinetix resonated test pipes in place of the crawford cats, and ichiba headers. After a couple of hours, the best Sharif could get out of the car was 246hp STD.

Keep in mind this is on a dyno dynamics. I'm not going to discuss the differences amongst different vendors' dynos, but I gotta say this dyno is pretty slick. I particularly liked the air intake temperature probe. But regardless of the technical aspects of the dyno, it doesn't produce nice graphs like a dynojet. It does support the export of pulls to text files, but we couldn't get that option to work. So you guys will have to be satisfied with dynojet carts and analysis.

Two weeks ago I dyno'd the new engine at my local dynojet, and it put down quite a bit less than my old engine with fewer mods. I started a thread with charts for that session, and it can be viewed here.

Today I went back to the local dynojet. I had an idea of what the numbers would be like, because of the ~9hp gain at Sharif's shop. But I've dyno'd most of my mods on this dynojet, and wanted to get some numbers in a form that I could use for more in-depth analysis.

When I dyno, I usually perform the first two pulls in 4th gear, then the last in 5th gear. This allows me to see the curve all the way till redline, and the last pull I use for peak numbers. Unfortunately, for the revup sedan at least, I can't pull 5th all the way till redline because of the factory speed governor.

My new numbers are 265/251, compared to 258/244 from two weeks ago. Contrast that with the 263.98/246.74 that my previous motor put down last October(no headers, and no utec).

I have attached two graphs. The first plots my most recent run against that of the new longblock baseline of two weeks ago. The second graph plots the most recent run against the previous motor's best back in October. Today's 5th gear pull is red in the first graph, and blue in the second.

The gains at peak are short of what I was hoping. But honestly, I did pick up quite a bit in the midrange. The tune gave me the power that everybody else got from the mrev+(for those of you that haven't followed the path of mods on my car, I saw just less than half the gains with the mrev+ than most others have reported). For example, 3k rpms sees a gain of 6tq. 3500 shows 13tq. 4k rpms, almost 15. Plus, horsepower isn't dying off past peak as badly as it was two weeks ago.

I exported the pulls to text files, and imported them to excel for some analysis. I compared the newest pull against the best from two weeks ago, in the range of 2650 rpms to 6600 rpms(remember, this is 5th), in 50 rpm increments.

Previously, my average HP was 198.76, and average torque was 225.68. Now, my average HP is 206.3, and torque is 234.5.

My average gain in horsepower over the entire range is 7.64, and torque was up an average of 8.83. The minimum hp gain was 1.53, maximum was 16.28. Torque minimum and maximum gains are 2.3 and 18.82, respectively.

So what do these numbers mean in context of acceleration? I calculated the hp and torque gains for each gear in the rpm ranges I would see at the drag strip. Here are the rpm ranges I used for the calculations:

1st: 2650 to 6600
2nd: 4250 to 6600
3rd: 4850 to 6600
4th: 5450 to 6300

The shift points are assumed to be at redline, but as stated before, I have data till only 6600 in fifth gear.

1st gear saw an average gain of 7.64/8.83.
2nd gear saw an average gain of 7.96/7.72
3rd gear saw an average gain of 8.3/7.1
4th gear saw an average gain of 6.6/5.8

Overall, I figure I'm pushing about 320hp at the crank, using Doug Stewart's figure of 17% loss for the 6MT. I might pick up a few more hp as the engine continues to break in, but I'm not counting on it.

If any one has any questions or comments, please feel free to post. However, I would appreciate if we can save $/value/worth/NA mod effectiveness out of this thread. That discussion deserves it's own thorough topic.

I have also attached the spreadsheet I used for my analysis. This site does not accept .xls extensions, so I have zipped it up.

Attached Thumbnails Final numbers are in: revup+bolt ons+utec-5thgear.jpg   Final numbers are in: revup+bolt ons+utec-old_new_engine.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
dyno_analysis.zip (7.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by trey.hutcheson; 03-07-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: I specified the wrong colors when describing the charts
Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
nice numbers! Def break into the 13's again with those numbers.

-sean

Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Damn Son, you spend some cash on that ride I'm jealous. Those numbers are really good as are the gains. I could give a rat's *** about the peak gains. It's that gain all over the rpm range that gets my attention. With the DRs and the power, you'll defintely be posting the quickest NA times we've seen on this site. I'm sure of it.

BTW, your overall HP numbers match that of a stock VQ35HR that recently ran on a Dynojet over at my350.com, BUT your torque is a solid 30wtq higher overall. I don't think you'll have much worry about the wife's 07 being quicker

Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Damn Son, you spend some cash on that ride I'm jealous. Those numbers are really good as are the gains. I could give a rat's *** about the peak gains. It's that gain all over the rpm range that gets my attention. With the DRs and the power, you'll defintely be posting the quickest NA times we've seen on this site. I'm sure of it.
I have spent quite a bit on the ride, but you'd be surprised just how little I've spent. I've spent less than many owners here spend on wheels and tires. I plan on writing a series of posts that will detail every step of the life of the car. It should include dynos, prices, problems, everything. I don't know if it makes much sense to post it here, as it will be of considerable length. I might post it on my blog. But the point of the series will be to "put everything out there", so to speak, and let others that are just getting into the scene with these cars make an objective decision regarding NA go fast mods.

And I don't know if I'll be the fastest NA. ISMSOLUTIONS claims he went 12's. Granted, he had headwork, cams, and a 3.3>3.9 FD swap, and he's never posted timeslips(weird, huh?), but I'm not going to claim BS without anything to back it up other than "lack of slips".

ZXIMan claims to have put down ~280 on a dynojet, and run 13.5's on street tires. Again, no slips, but I believe it's possible. See posts here, here, and here.

G-Tofu also ran a 13.6@105 on street tires. Thread here.

And I have no clue how I'll do on DR's. I have no clue how to do a burnout. The one and only time I tried I stalled the car. Of course, A) that was before I knew burnouts on street tires are stupid, and B) I didn't know about the fuse trick. Regardless, I've seen plenty of posts by people that got DRs and still couldn't pull better than 2.2's and 2.1's.

And assuming I can get a good launch, then what? The last few times out at the track I couldn't drive for ****. Anyway, the new goal is 13.4@104. I'm hoping for something in the 13.2@105 range, but I think 13.4@104 is more realistic.

Originally Posted by DaveB
BTW, your overall HP numbers match that of a stock VQ35HR that recently ran on a Dynojet over at my350.com, BUT your torque is a solid 30wtq higher overall. I don't think you'll have much worry about the wife's 07 being quicker
Yeah, I've been following the info on the HR, as well as the dynos. Don't dismiss it so easily. It's got a 5% shorter FD, a much higher redline, and that torque is misleading. When I dyno'd stock, my peak torque was 210. That was with maybe 7k miles on the car. The next time I dyno'd with maybe 10k miles on the car, my peak torque went up to 225.9. I've seen it over and over again with other revups. I assume that when the HRs are dyno'd somewhere in the 15k range, with few mods they'll see somewhere in the neighborhood of 245 to 250 ft-lbs.

And it will be a while before Cheryl can beat me at the drag strip. She's been driving stick all her life, but she's never raced in a manual. It's going to take her a while to get the knack of launching, and shifting extremely fast, especially that damnable 1>2 shift.

I want to take her car down for a runs when she gets it. A couple to get the hang of it, and then a couple with the wheels+dr's. Then we'll see what a bone-stock 07 sedan is capable of.