Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Stillen Engine Damper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by izmir41500
don't you have to lift the motor to install solid motor mounts also. as opposed to the bolt-on engine damper.
Yes, engine mounts and engine dampers are completely different things. I guess in a essence they could "act" the same - if you are looking in terms of what keep the engine from moving then yes they would be the same, but unfortunately they are not the same.

-Sean

Old 08-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
To tell you the truth when i installed mine the vibrations are veyr very minimal. You really have to pay attention in order to notice the added vibrations (radio off, both hands on the wheel, and close your eyes).

-Sean
okay cool... I'm not sure I’ll try the closed eyes test though - not safe to drive that way

Sounds as though definitely not enough vibration to cause in cabin plastic on plastic buzz... maybe I will consider - unless someone has noticed in cabin buzz/rattle?... anyone?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by izmir41500
don't you have to lift the motor to install solid motor mounts also. as opposed to the bolt-on engine damper.
Originally Posted by dofu
IMO, huge difference between the two. Motor mounts get right down to the problem, while the engine dampner is a quick fix.
Well, if they theoretically after the same function, I would say it really doesn't matter.

I would agree with dofu that the engine dampener is a quick fix.

I could be wrong.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm how much are these running everyone???

Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Now that I have had this thing on for a little while, I can tell you I just love it. The front end of the car just feels more "solid". It is like I have a whole new suspension. The vibration @ idle is only minor, but I like it. Hell, I would not be doing all these mods if I wanted a "quiet" car. I like to feel and hear my car working. I do not have any noticable rattles in my interior anyway. The car just feels more taut over bumps and around corners. I guess I could compare it to a strut tower brace, but not as a defined stiffer feel, just more solid.

The one new thing I have noticed is a nice new low rumble from my Fuji at idle. I love my exhaust, but always felt like I wanted something just a bit deeper and meaner sounding. Now I have it. I can not explain why, but the sound is a good bit deeper, especially at idle. I noticed it after I washed the car and was starting the car up to blow the water out of the tips. When I was standing behind the car and drying off the tips, it just sounded like a new exhaust with a deeper more pronounced rumble. I have done nothing else to the car recently except oil change and engine damper, so I must contribute it to this mod. I am loving my exhaust all over again!

I have to admit that at first I only felt like this thing was a gimmick, but I have changed my mind. Just like I did with the Grounding Gear kit. It does not have anything to do with increased power, but just a better "feel" to an already excellent car.

Overall I would recommend this simple, inexpensive mod to anyone who really drives their car and can appreciate making it perform better. Way to go Stillen!

Old 08-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by DRG35R
Now that I have had this thing on for a little while, I can tell you I just love it. The front end of the car just feels more "solid". It is like I have a whole new suspension. The vibration @ idle is only minor, but I like it. Hell, I would not be doing all these mods if I wanted a "quiet" car. I like to feel and hear my car working. I do not have any noticable rattles in my interior anyway. The car just feels more taut over bumps and around corners. I guess I could compare it to a strut tower brace, but not as a defined stiffer feel, just more solid.

The one new thing I have noticed is a nice new low rumble from my Fuji at idle. I love my exhaust, but always felt like I wanted something just a bit deeper and meaner sounding. Now I have it. I can not explain why, but the sound is a good bit deeper, especially at idle. I noticed it after I washed the car and was starting the car up to blow the water out of the tips. When I was standing behind the car and drying off the tips, it just sounded like a new exhaust with a deeper more pronounced rumble. I have done nothing else to the car recently except oil change and engine damper, so I must contribute it to this mod. I am loving my exhaust all over again!

I have to admit that at first I only felt like this thing was a gimmick, but I have changed my mind. Just like I did with the Grounding Gear kit. It does not have anything to do with increased power, but just a better "feel" to an already excellent car.

Overall I would recommend this simple, inexpensive mod to anyone who really drives their car and can appreciate making it perform better. Way to go Stillen!
Interesting review... however, I can’t see in any way shape or form how it is remotely plausible that an engine damper would change the sound of your exhaust...

Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have u guys thought about dual engine dampers? im sure it would be more for looks for the second 1 but i have seen it before and it is hot.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Xblackg35X
have u guys thought about dual engine dampers? im sure it would be more for looks for the second 1 but i have seen it before and it is hot.
Are those the ones that are anodized green? If so, I think those mount to the strut bar mounts, so you couldn't also have a strut bar installed w/ those--they do look sweet however, but I would rather have a strut and a single stillen damper.

One has shipped fedex to me, so as soon as I fix this bumper issue I am having I will install the stillen damper and post a review

Old 08-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Are those the ones that are anodized green? If so, I think those mount to the strut bar mounts, so you couldn't also have a strut bar installed w/ those--they do look sweet however, but I would rather have a strut and a single stillen damper.

One has shipped fedex to me, so as soon as I fix this bumper issue I am having I will install the stillen damper and post a review
Those are hood dampers you are thinking about...they just lift the hood.

-Sean

Old 08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so how much are u all paying???

Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I think the stillen goes for $129

Old 08-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
Those are hood dampers you are thinking about...they just lift the hood.

-Sean
LOL!!! They are talking about the engine dampers though... Look at Tinman's (Steve)... he has the ones I think these guys are talking about

The green hood damper you reference are the TEIN... The engine damper might be TEIN too, not sure.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
LOL!!! They are talking about the engine dampers though... Look at Tinman's (Steve)... he has the ones I think these guys are talking about

The green hood damper you reference are the TEIN... The engine damper might be TEIN too, not sure.
Yes, nice find OC, those were the one's I was referring to--they use the strut mounts, I think they were custom made, but dunno?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Originally Posted by OCG35
Interesting review... however, I can’t see in any way shape or form how it is remotely plausible that an engine damper would change the sound of your exhaust...
Oh, okay thanks. Your right. I am just hearing things. Why do you think I wrote that "I can not explain why". But of course you can not see in any way shape or form. Could it be "remotely plausible" that is has something to do with the engine vibrations being transferred through the exhaust system and changing the frequency of the sound just a little bit...maybe. I don't know as I am not an engineer. Maybe someone else does.

I did not say it was a dramatic change, just slight. And for someone who drives and works on his car daily, you think I would notice any change in the car however so slight it may be. But what do I know about my own car.

I am only posting what I know has happened to the car since the install so others can decide if they want to do the same and see if they experience the same things. Do you think I just make things up and post crap for the hell of it. I have better things to do with my time.

But I guess you felt it necessary to be negative about the whole thing and make what I feel is a completely worthless comment. I am at least trying to be helpful to the other good members who want to know. I am not wasting posts being so negative. Just accept it for what it is and move on. I don't believe all the claims people make on this site, but I keep it to myself. Why do you feel the need to post such smug remarks?

I can not see in any way, shape or form how it is remotely plausible that you are a "premier" member on this forum.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG35R
But I guess you felt it necessary to be negative about the whole thing and make what I feel is a completely worthless comment. I am at least trying to be helpful to the other good members who want to know. I am not wasting posts being so negative. Just accept it for what it is and move on. I don't believe all the claims people make on this site, but I keep it to myself. Why do you feel the need to post such smug remarks?

I can not see in any way, shape or form how it is remotely plausible that you are a "premier" member on this forum.
Well, you posted a thread on an automotive website therefore you should expect to get people's opinions, whether positive or negative. I agree with OCG35, there's no way a damper is going to make an exhaust louder. Depending on ambient temp and the temp of exhaust piping, the exhaust can sound slightly different. Since you just washed the car, I imagine the exhaust was cold therefore a bit louder. My G, old Maxima, and Z28 did the same thing.

As for him being a premier member, pay the money and you to can be one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Engine Damper