Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Stillen Engine Damper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
there was nothing smug or out of line about my comment. In fact I prefaced the statement by saying it was an interesting review... The fact that an engine damper cannot change the sound of an exhaust should not get anyone’s panties in a bundle... But certainly no one should run out and buy one hoping their exhaust will sound different.

As far as me being a premier member or having anything of value to add... search around you’ll find very viable information posted.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG35R
Oh, okay thanks. Your right. I am just hearing things. Why do you think I wrote that "I can not explain why". But of course you can not see in any way shape or form. Could it be "remotely plausible" that is has something to do with the engine vibrations being transferred through the exhaust system and changing the frequency of the sound just a little bit...maybe. I don't know as I am not an engineer. Maybe someone else does.

I did not say it was a dramatic change, just slight. And for someone who drives and works on his car daily, you think I would notice any change in the car however so slight it may be. But what do I know about my own car.

I am only posting what I know has happened to the car since the install so others can decide if they want to do the same and see if they experience the same things. Do you think I just make things up and post crap for the hell of it. I have better things to do with my time.

But I guess you felt it necessary to be negative about the whole thing and make what I feel is a completely worthless comment. I am at least trying to be helpful to the other good members who want to know. I am not wasting posts being so negative. Just accept it for what it is and move on. I don't believe all the claims people make on this site, but I keep it to myself. Why do you feel the need to post such smug remarks?

I can not see in any way, shape or form how it is remotely plausible that you are a "premier" member on this forum.
You do know this is a forum right?

I didn't see anything negative in OCG35's comment. He's just being realistic.

Thanks for the review. Although I also agree with OCG35 that this damper should have nothing to do with the change in your exhaust tone.

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 08-12-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Originally Posted by DaveB
Well, you posted a thread on an automotive website therefore you should expect to get people's opinions, whether positive or negative. I agree with OCG35, there's no way a damper is going to make an exhaust louder. Depending on ambient temp and the temp of exhaust piping, the exhaust can sound slightly different. Since you just washed the car, I imagine the exhaust was cold therefore a bit louder. My G, old Maxima, and Z28 did the same thing.

As for him being a premier member, pay the money and you to can be one.
thought the way he phrased his comment it was smug and condesending towards my post.

never said "louder", but deeper tone. washed my car hundreds of times and never noticed anything before.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
there was nothing smug or out of line about my comment. In fact I prefaced the statement by saying it was an interesting review... The fact that an engine damper cannot change the sound of an exhaust should not get anyone’s panties in a bundle... But certainly no one should run out and buy one hoping their exhaust will sound different.

As far as me being a premier member or having anything of value to add... search around you’ll find very viable information posted.
i disagree. your comments," i can't see in any way, shape or form how it is remotely plausible" sounds a bit condesending towards my comments. i'm no expert, but I am no dummy. just a 40 year old car enthusiast, not some kid, who posted my results after an install. never told anyone to expect the same results. i noticed something different for what ever reason. i also noticed the car seems to accelerate much better. i know an engine damper has nothing to do with increased power, but it feels like it has. i guess you are going to tell me what i already know. just like i said about the exhaust, "i can't explain why".

Old 08-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
You do know this is a forum right?

I didn't see anything negative in OCG35's comment. He's just being realistic.

Thanks for the review. Although I also agree with OCG35 that this damper should have nothing to do with the change in your exhaust tone.
understood.

thought the comment was condesending towards my comments.

i know, that is why i wrote that "i can not explain it." i have had this exhaust on for about 10K miles now and am vey familiar with the sound. so why would the tone suddenly change? i know a damper has nothing to do with it. i did not post that is was because of the damper, just that i noticed this after it was installed.

thanks.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:10 AM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any pics of it installed? close up and farther out.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
i noticed something different for what ever reason. i also noticed the car seems to accelerate much better. i know an engine damper has nothing to do with increased power, but it feels like it has.
Techniaclly, a good engine dampner or solid motor mounts can make more power to the wheels by simply making the transfer of the power to the drivetrain more efficient. That means there won't be as big of a loss between power at the flywheel to power at the wheels. Not much power gains, but there is something... and at least enough to shorten the response time. Try the solid tranny mount and solid differential mount together with the solid motor mounts to feel a good increase. These mods have nothing to do with making more power, but they all help transfer more power to the wheels more efficiently.

And in a sense, this simple mod can change your exhaust tone (depending on your set-up), and I don't want to get into how, but also most of the sound you hear inside of the car would be the chassis vibrating, so you might not be able to hear it outside of the car.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i disagree. your comments," i can't see in any way, shape or form how it is remotely plausible" sounds a bit condesending towards my comments. i'm no expert, but I am no dummy. just a 40 year old car enthusiast, not some kid, who posted my results after an install. never told anyone to expect the same results. i noticed something different for what ever reason. i also noticed the car seems to accelerate much better. i know an engine damper has nothing to do with increased power, but it feels like it has. i guess you are going to tell me what i already know. just like i said about the exhaust, "i can't explain why".
Relax. OC is a good guy and a positive contributor to this forum. You maybe a 40 year old w/ intelligence, but you shure are acting like a noob on this forum. So suck it up and stop being so defensive. If you think OC's comment was condenscending (which, imo it wasn't at all), go over to my350z.com and post your same thread and see what kind of responses you get.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Relax. OC is a good guy and a positive contributor to this forum. You maybe a 40 year old w/ intelligence, but you shure are acting like a noob on this forum. So suck it up and stop being so defensive. If you think OC's comment was condenscending (which, imo it wasn't at all), go over to my350z.com and post your same thread and see what kind of responses you get.
You are right. I guess I was just kind of excited that this damper, that I thought was a gimmick, actually worked. I felt like he just disregarded my comments as foolishness. I apologize. At least he did not rip me as bad as the guy with the blue rimmed wheels.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i wonder...really how much difference could there be between the stillen damper at $130.00

Name:  STILLENDAMPER.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  12.3 KB

and the A2R ebay one for $67.00

Name:  EBAYDAMPER.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  14.7 KB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INFIN...spagenameZWDVW

i mean, really....it's not that complicated of a part right? Has anyone tried this other one out?

Old 08-14-2007, 01:34 PM
You are right. I guess I was just kind of excited that this damper, that I thought was a gimmick, actually worked. I felt like he just disregarded my comments as foolishness. I apologize. At least he did not rip me as bad as the guy with the blue rimmed wheels.
Dude, I didn't rip you at all... I'm not sure why you are so bent on making an issue of my statement.... I think DaveB put it best - maybe your exhaust sound did change but it wasn’t the engine damper that caused it... I suppose there are multitudes of theoretical reasons the exhaust might have sounded different. All I said was the way the engine damper works wouldn't affect the exhaust. I'm sorry you were offended by the way I phrased it - but if you re-read it with an unbiased view, you will realize I didn’t slander you, say you are foolish or even imply that you didn't hear a change. I stated the damper couldn’t cause the change you heard.

I did not "rip you".

Jonnylaw is absolutely correct… if you posted that statement on my350Z you would know what someone “ripping you” really is…

Had no one mentioned that an engine damper won’t change the sound or tone of an exhaust, trust me, there would be someone (possibly more than one) who goes out and installs expecting their exhaust note to change... then you would have people ripping you.

I was going refrain from posting again in this thread because it was getting futile and off-topic... but when you keep jabbing at me and make false statements about me "ripping" you, I'm going to speak up.

I suggest we let the thread get back on topic - and stop being so defensive about a simple statement that had nothing to do with you as a person.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone try that knockoff ebay one?

Old 08-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Never trusted Ebay... never will.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Any recommendations on where to purchase this for the lowest price? I'm looking to pick one up now for my 05 6MT after reading all the great reviews.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by chiapet15
Any recommendations on where to purchase this for the lowest price? I'm looking to pick one up now for my 05 6MT after reading all the great reviews.
if/when I get one it sill be direct from Stillen... if you're looking for a replica I guess E-Bay, but I'm like Henry (skaterbasist) I don’t buy off E-Bay, don’t trust it.

I don’t think you'll get that big of a savings finding it through a vendor other than Stillen (may a small amount) - it's not all that expensive.

Maybe we should see if they will do a group buy?...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Engine Damper