Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Helix hi-flow cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm.....i can wait a couple months. any new on the pricing?

Old 03-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Any new info?

Old 03-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Well the rubbing issues I was having are gone after installing the engine dampener so I may not even bother swapping for the smaller ones once they are available.

I believe they are still on target to release the updated cats late next month. Pricing should be about the same around $450 plus ship I think, and I'm sure a nice group buy price would be possible if there is enough interest. Gruppe's would probably be the best bet for this as they are the main US distributor for Helix, good guys to deal with too.

Last edited by copbait; 03-27-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:04 PM
copbait,
Did you weld a piece from the cat housing to secure to the engine dampener? I know it helped the rubbing issues, but did this help with the vibrations and noise also? Please let me know.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:07 PM
copbait,
I read through your other post on the engine dampener. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Keith N
copbait,
Did you weld a piece from the cat housing to secure to the engine dampener?
Nope, no welding during the install of either the engine dampener or the cats.

Originally Posted by Keith N
I know it helped the rubbing issues, but did this help with the vibrations and noise also? Please let me know.
Well I didn't have any real serious issues with vibrations or noise before, but I did notice that there seems to be less noise and movement coming from the B&M shifter now which is cool.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by azcougarman
I can give some definitive results in about one week. I had my sedan on the dyno last Saturday 02/26/05 and it dynoed at 246 rwhp with a kinetix intake plenum, z tube, nismo air cleaner, and Stillen cat-back exhaust. Now with the Helix cats, I plan to go back in about a week to dyno it again.
Any update? Did you dyno with the Helix cats in place?

Old 04-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Just heard that the next batch of these are shipping in from Japan mid-May, so about a month away. It has not yet been 100% confirmed that these will be the new smaller design, but it is very likely.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:30 PM
copbait, how is the exhaust sound w/ the hi flo cats and y pipe?? I have not decided whether to upgrade exhaust or keep stock exhaust and upgrade cats to hi flows like urself...i simply want a deeper exhaust note and also heard the stock muffler isnt half bad yet the stock cats are moreso restrictive and you'll get a better performance gain w/ cats than exhaust...

thanks for your input

Old 04-13-2005, 03:32 PM
The cats offer a monster bump in punch....
I went Kinetix cats (They fit with ease)
I still struggle with the noise of the after market exhaust.
I love the power, but hate the noise.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by pdjafari
copbait, how is the exhaust sound w/ the hi flo cats and y pipe?? I have not decided whether to upgrade exhaust or keep stock exhaust and upgrade cats to hi flows like urself...i simply want a deeper exhaust note and also heard the stock muffler isnt half bad yet the stock cats are moreso restrictive and you'll get a better performance gain w/ cats than exhaust...

thanks for your input
The stock exhaust is a decent all-around exhaust, it sounds nice once you open up the flow a bit with plenum/cats/ypipe and does about as well as any aftermarket regarding power. I would definitely recommend a reducer solution so things flow as smooth as possible unless you get an OEM sized (2.5") ypipe, but almost all have the larger 3" outlet.

I would take it step by step, and leave the exhaust upgrade for last and see how you like it. I might consider an upgrade in the future to get a deeper tone and maybe shed a few pounds, but it won't do much for performance.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by copbait
Just heard that the next batch of these are shipping in from Japan mid-May, so about a month away. It has not yet been 100% confirmed that these will be the new smaller design, but it is very likely.
I have the helix on order from Tom @ Gruppe-S.
He confirmed - at least to me - that the next ship would be the 'slimmer' units to avoid the rub. I hope he's correct.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much are the Helix cats?

Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 PM
hmmm...maybe I'll shoot Gruppe S an email or something and see if i can get the smaller cats.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Well guys and gals, I actually have some bad news to report on these. First, the cats will not be ready any time soon. Apparently Helix is still working on the redesign and there is no word yet as to when they will be ready for shipping.

Secondly, the metal substrate material in one of the cats ended up coming loose, which started rattling under throttle. It sounded pretty bad so I called Gruppe-S and they were very cool about it and offered me a full refund which I gladly accepted. I will go back to the OEM cats until I figure out what to go with next.

So basically, at this time, I would recommend staying away from Helix hi-flows until they sort out their production issues and release the new smaller design. I don't know if I just got unlucky or maybe there was a problem with the first batch. If you are having rattling issues with your exhaust and have these cats, swap them out for OEM and see if the issue goes away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Helix hi-flow cats