Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Dyno'd KJR Performance Lightweight pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MechEE
Absolutely. The question is how much of a change are we talking about. If you remove your spare change from your center console, you're also reducing the car's total mass and increasing your theoretical acceleration for the same engine power output.

I made that comment, and it is not off. When you dyno your car on an inertial dyno (which measures the rate of angular acceleration of a drum to calculate instantaneous power), any drivetrain mods that one claims increase acceleration on the street due to decreased inertia will show up (after all, the drivetrain is accelerating on such a dyno). The gains from such a mod depend completely on the acceleration rate of the drivetrain, which depends on the load (remaining vehicle mass) and power output. You should read the link I provided for a background on gains from inertia changes.

As discussed, such gains will show up on an inertial dyno. Such gains can be easily predicted based on the acceleration rate of the driveline and the change in inertia. Again, please see the link I provided that explains all of this in detail if we are still not on the same page. Here it is again (written a long time ago now): http://www.stanford.edu/~mpg/lighten...omponents.html

Lightened flywheels have over an order of magnitude greater change in inertia than that from lightened crank pullies. As such, gains in 1st gear can easily reach 10+% which is noticeable. Even so, gains decrease with the square of the gear ratios, so they quickly drop to negligible levels in the higher gears.

Dang.....you must be physics major....

Anyhow, this is not KJR, but the concepts applies.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-vendor/139333-agency-power-3pc-undriven-pulley-kits-sale-partshippers-com.html

9whp gain must be a fluke then, if according to your theories.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
Dang.....you must be physics major....

Anyhow, this is not KJR, but the concepts applies.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139333

Be aware of your sources. That dyno plot was provided by Agency Power, the make of the pullies. I can gaurantee you that a third party dyno would show a wildly different result.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
Note that those are underdrive pullies, not simply lightened. The underdrive is from where any measurable power is coming.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MechEE
Absolutely. The question is how much of a change are we talking about. If you remove your spare change from your center console, you're also reducing the car's total mass and increasing your theoretical acceleration for the same engine power output.

I made that comment, and it is not off. When you dyno your car on an inertial dyno (which measures the rate of angular acceleration of a drum to calculate instantaneous power), any drivetrain mods that one claims increase acceleration on the street due to decreased inertia will show up (after all, the drivetrain is accelerating on such a dyno). The gains from such a mod depend completely on the acceleration rate of the drivetrain, which depends on the load (remaining vehicle mass) and power output. You should read the link I provided for a background on gains from inertia changes.

As discussed, such gains will show up on an inertial dyno. Such gains can be easily predicted based on the acceleration rate of the driveline and the change in inertia. Again, please see the link I provided that explains all of this in detail if we are still not on the same page. Here it is again (written a long time ago now): http://www.stanford.edu/~mpg/lighten...omponents.html

Lightened flywheels have over an order of magnitude greater change in inertia than that from lightened crank pullies. As such, gains in 1st gear can easily reach 10+% which is noticeable. Even so, gains decrease with the square of the gear ratios, so they quickly drop to negligible levels in the higher gears.

Good info. I researched this years ago when I used to drive an eagle talon. I made a spreadsheet that took into account acceleration, gear ratios, power, moment of inertia of parts, etc. It calculates the maximum gains from different lighter rotating parts and backs up what you said about the effect of gears and the comparison between flywheel and pullies.

On a talon, 5 lbs reduced from a flywheel(12" diameter on a talon) was equal to 6hp in first but only 2hp in second gear, <1 hp after that. The same 5lbs on a pulley (5" diameter) was about 1.2hp (1st), 0.6hp (2nd).

The gains on a G35 will be less than on a talon because a talon's first gear is much lower than a G35's. Anyways, here is the old spreadsheet:

http://www.geocities.com/sean_mcnair/dsm.xls

Someday, I gotta update that file with G35 gear ratios, and torque curve because it also calculates where to shift for the fastest et.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sean_mcnair
Good info. I researched this years ago when I used to drive an eagle talon. I made a spreadsheet that took into account acceleration, gear ratios, power, moment of inertia of parts, etc. It calculates the maximum gains from different lighter rotating parts and backs up what you said about the effect of gears and the comparison between flywheel and pullies.

On a talon, 5 lbs reduced from a flywheel(12" diameter on a talon) was equal to 6hp in first but only 2hp in second gear, <1 hp after that. The same 5lbs on a pulley (5" diameter) was about 1.2hp (1st), 0.6hp (2nd).

The gains on a G35 will be less than on a talon because a talon's first gear is much lower than a G35's. Anyways, here is the old spreadsheet:

http://www.geocities.com/sean_mcnair/dsm.xls

Someday, I gotta update that file with G35 gear ratios, and torque curve because it also calculates where to shift for the fastest et.
Impossible! So many people say they feel the increase in power and the power gains won't show up on the dyno because you can't show gains from reduced rotational weight. They all can't be wrong and companies like Unorthodox Racing have dynos to prove it

*fyi, sarcasm is very heavy with my post*

Old 08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
I love it when Engineers and objective test data filter out the garbage!