Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Rogue Short Shift First Impression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rogue Short Shift First Impression

I bought my Rogue Eng Short shifter before I had my car as I heard they were going out of production plus everyone raved about how much of an improvement they were.
When my V arrived last week I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the shift already after hearing so many of you complain about it.
Couldn't wait to fit the short shifter if it was even better
How wrong I was ...this shifter has changed a sweet gearchange into something that is utterly horrible!!!
There is a buzzing noise from the gearstick where it was quiet before.
In addition to the increase effort required (that is acceptable) it feels really tight.
Changinging upto third it feels as if the gearstick moves accross at a diagonal not straight (Hard to explain but it goes in straight then moves to the right almost like a dogleg)
Changing up from second never really sure if I'm going to get third or fifth.
Unless it was installed incorrectly I am so dissapointed with this mod.
I will leave it a day or two but if it doesn't get better or loosen up with some miles it is going to be replaced.
Any advice or thoughts about why my impression is so different to others is welcome.
(That buzzing gearstick has gotta be fixed or else out she comes)

Old 12-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Shifters

I put in a Nismo adjustable short shifter and have a buzzing vibration as well. I think my vibration is in the mechanism that makes the shifter adjustable. I am going to attempt to solve the problem by using dum dum all around that mechanism which will render it non-adjustable but hopefully will solve the buzzing issue. Do you have any idea as to the origin of your vibration in the ROgue? I was thinking about taking the NIsmo out and using a Rogue but after reading your post I no longer see that as a viable option.

1sweetG

Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Absoutly different impression than mine .....I LOVE my RE shifter.

No buzzing or rattles.....rifle bolt like shift gates.

Did you try adjusting the guide plate to see itf that helps?

Old 12-28-2005, 08:52 AM
tighten the **** down more.

THe buzzing is from the spacer not being properly clamped.

I had to go 10 more turns wiht a 12" cresent wrench AFTER it was hand tightened.

Last edited by DarthStimpy; 12-28-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthStimpy
tighten the shifter down more.

THe buzzing is from the spacer not being properly clamped.

I had to go 10 more turns wiht a 12" cresent wrench AFTER it was hand tightened.

Are you talking about the shift ****?

Old 12-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by OldVFRGuy
Are you talking about the shift ****?
YES, sorry should've been more specific.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Give it time. I had mine for about 2 months now and so far have no problems. I felt the stiff shifting at first also, but it loosened up with use. Now I sometimes think its not short enough. Its only a 20% reduction. I drove my friends Audi with 33% reduction and it fills really short with no room for error.
I never had any sound coming from the shifter, prob b/c I took one of the member's advice about having to tighten the **** with the wrench much more than I thought was possible. I dont think you have an issue with the gear shift gate, b/c if it was installed incorrect you would have difficulty getting into 5th and 6th not 3rd.
IF you correct the buzzing sound, which should not be there, give it time to get used to the shifter, you'll like it. I dont have any problems getting into 3rd, but strange enough my friend drove my car the other day and kept putting into 5th by accident and said it was hard to find 3rd. I think it just takes time getting used, b/c I dont think I ever missed into 5th.

Last edited by O'sG; 12-28-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I don't have any problems hitting the proper gear (3rd instead of 5th), is the RE shifter likely to make that change more difficult than the OEM shifter?

My coupe is an '05, if that makes a difference. I've been pretty happy with the OEM set-up, but it is a bit vague and, like AussieV35, I picked this up before I ever took delivery of my G.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:16 PM
the rogue will not make it anymore difficult to shift into 3rd, at least from my experience. I think among all the short shift kits, Rogue feels the closest to OEM, but more solid and ofcourse with shorter throws. By the way I have an '05 as well.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:08 PM
I just put mine in. Doesn't really feel like the shifts are shorter at all. It still is a bit notchy, but feels like a smoother shift. I'm still getting used to it though. Plus, I changed my shift **** too.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by O'sG
Give it time. I had mine for about 2 months now and so far have no problems. I felt the stiff shifting at first also, but it loosened up with use.
You hit the nail on the head
It is the next day and it seems a little looser and easier to live with.
Even though the shift **** was tightened down the spacer was causing the buzzing noise.
Some thread tape fixed it nicely.
Second Impression....much better and hopefully will loosen up some more in the next few days. The acid test is when my wife drives the car.
Thanks for the input guys

Old 12-29-2005, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by OldVFRGuy
Absoutly different impression than mine .....I LOVE my RE shifter.

No buzzing or rattles.....rifle bolt like shift gates.

Did you try adjusting the guide plate to see itf that helps?

Couldn't have said it better.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:04 AM
I just changed back to the stock shift ****. Feels so much better. The Rouge is definitely the goods.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Final Impression
Anyone want to buy a short shift kit?

Old 01-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Wow, I'm surprised you had a negative experience with the RE short shifter. It is true that the initial impressions can be a little rough. The shift action is significantly more "stiff" than stock. But this does get MUCH MUCH better once you give it some time. In terms of vibration, make sure to go back and torque the bolts holding the shifter. I've had it about a week or so now and am really liking the difference from stock. One tip for those of you who are thinking of going with this mod. You might want to go with a shift **** that is fairly long or go with the stock shift ****. I have the Nismo Chrome shift **** and it's very short. I almost have only a stump to shift with, which can cause you to have to exert more force to shift, since there is a lack of lenght and leverage to shift. Other than that I'd recommend this mod to everyone. The stock shifter is nice and has short throws but it's very "sloppy" and doesn't have enough precision and feel, IMO. The RE short shifter resolves these issues to a T.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rogue Short Shift First Impression